Old 04-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #1

Purchasing Trailer online, any suggestions?

We are purchasing an 07 Wildwood 26TBSS from a dealer back east and we are in Las Vegas. We are paying the price they have on their website which is still lower than others we have seen. We are having the trailer shipped to us since they are 2,000 miles away. Has anyone had any success getting the dealer to throw in extra goodies and whatnot when agreeing to pay their advertised price? I just don't know if we should be trying to get the price down or trying to get some upgrades. Any suggestions?

Old 04-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I've had good success in an in-person transaction, but not too well at season start like this.

On-line I suspect it is difficult to establish a good bargaining position, or even what is included so I'd be at a disadvantage.

Things I'd suggest going for is vent covers, AC cover, upgraded propane tank cover, and depending on the awning length, a centre support. Since they're a dealer, I'd also push for a starter kit, which usually includes sewer hose, fittings, electrical adapters, etc. I'd also ask them to install a WH bi-pass, but then again I'm not in LV so winterizing is an issue.

In person, I'd complain if necessary about mattress quality and push for a swap with another better one. I'd also take a trip through the parts shop to take note of things they have a lot of stock of and then mention I need it. I also get agreement on a discount for future parts purchases. But all that is impossible on-line.

I sure hope this works out for you. So many owners credit their quality and service satisfaction in part on their good local dealer.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 AM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

if your talking about RVWholesalers, i don't think you can get any freebies. their prices are so much lower, they can't afford to throw things in. they might give you something at cost but their prices are rock bottom. i've read many people who've bought from them and they didn't get any additional deals other than the great price.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #4

We are buying from Homan Moters, Inc in Ohio and they wont budge on the price at all. It is lower than any price I have seen anywhere and they say their profit margin is VERY slim. I talked to another dealer about the price I was getting from Holman's (which was almost $2,000 less than what he could offer me) and he told me that Holman was only making about a $150 profit on the trailer. This made me feel a lot better about the purchase. The guys over at Holman are very nice and the independent transporter that will be delivering our trailer to us says he has worked with Holman's Motors many times and said they are very honest and a great dealer to buy from. So even though I'm not getting any freebies, we still feel very good about the purchase.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
That sounds like a dealer to deal with! that's for sure.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

not sure if you checked RVWholesalers but they have 2 of the 26TBSS with options for $14,185. here's a link:
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/invento...ck=&condition=

not sure what holman's price is but they are both in ohio.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #7

Yes, we have looked at RVwholesalers but they are still about $600 more than the price we are getting at Holman's.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #8

when and if something goes wrong who do you take it to ? local stealer,, or ship it back to Ohio ? Who's on your side ,the local dealer will look at you like an outsider and put there customers in first.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #9

We bought the 8298SS on line at RV Direct in Albany NY and had no problems, Also we beat all local dealers by 15%. No problem with local service either.
JUst went out on the first trip shake down last weekend here in MA everythign went great. Had one small problem and emailed my dealer in NY he is mailing me a check for my out of pocket expenses.
Good Luck Joe
Tekonsha Voyager Brake controller
JMBOCONNOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #10

We purchased the trailer online because we only have one Forest River dealer within 200 miles of us and they do not sell the trailers mfg in IL, only the trailers mfg in CA. If I wanted to purchase the Forest River trailer that had the same layout, had a different model name but mfg in CA, we would have had to pay close to $5,000 more. I will purchase an item across the US anyday and pay someone $1500 to tow it to my home if its going to save me $5000. We are very happy with the price we paid and we have 5+ good RV dealers in las vegas that I wouldn't think twice of using for service.