Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Question about dealership service

If I buy a trailer and it needs work covered under warranty, am I required to take it into the dealership I purchased the trailer from? Reason I'm asking is that there's a dealership about 15 miles from me and another about 45 miles from me. I probably won't be buying a trailer from the closer dealer due to pricing, but I have concerns about the further dealer's online reviews and not sure if I would want to deal with them as far as servicing. Closer dealer has better reviews online. Just curious how that works. Thanks.

Edit: Both dealers sell Forest River products.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #2

Question about dealership service

It depends on the dealership. Some will ask you first if you bought your RV from them before they even let you on the lot. Some others aren't bothered by it.

Depending on what needs to be repaired, sometimes you can order parts from the dealer or directly from FR and repair at your preferred RV shop. I would think major warranty claims would need to go through a certified FR dealer or shop.

I purchased through a dealer with a great reputation for service. At times, they will send me parts that need fixing so I don't have to drive the 2 hours from my home to them.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #3

I would just call and ask if they will do FR warranty work for you. Just tell them you heard they did great service work, that should get you in the door.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Site Team

your question is a very hot and debated subject.

the RV Industry doesn't work like the Auto Industry in many ways.

in the RV world, the dealer only has to do warranty work on units that they sold. doing warranty work, on units that they didn't sell, is optional.

many dealers use this, to threaten customers, so they won't buy from another dealer.

we were threatened with this, from 3 different local Roo dealers.
but i contacted FR warranty before i bought from a dealer 2000 miles away and they found other local dealers that were more than willing to do the warranty work. but i had to accept that i wouldn't be first in line.

this was fine with me because i would drop it off in December and they'd keep it through the winter, because i told them i didn't need it done right away.
so, i got the warranty work done and free storage at the same time.

so, check with the dealer you want to go to and also contact FR warranty for other choices just in case.
they don't have to be a FR dealer. one of the dealers i took my Roo to, for warranty work, didn't even sell any FR products.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Always Learning

Be aware no dealer other than your selling dealer is required to perform warranty work. RVs are not like auto dealerships. The guys closest to you can choose to do the work or choose to put you at the bottom of the list ahead of you.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #6

Good info everyone. Thank you!

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Be aware no dealer other than your selling dealer is required to perform warranty work. RVs are not like auto dealerships. The guys closest to you can choose to do the work or choose to put you at the bottom of the list ahead of you.
according to FR even the selling dealers do not have to perform warranty work if they choose not to. Had my dealer refuse to work on mine and FR told me to take it elsewhere as they could not make a dealer do repairs under warranty.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
according to FR even the selling dealers do not have to perform warranty work if they choose not to. Had my dealer refuse to work on mine and FR told me to take it elsewhere as they could not make a dealer do repairs under warranty.
Interesting- I didn't realize that was the case. Thanks for the clarification.

Tags
dealer, service