Old 11-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #1

Questions before i sign....

I put a deposit down on a 2010 Cardinal 3640. I have not yet signed a purchase deal until there is a PDI. Should i hire someone to do the PDI, or is this something i can do on my own? (I'm a first time RVer). Is there an extensive PDI checklist i can use?

Old 11-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
Site Team

here is a check list from the FRF library.
Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

Take your time with the pdi and ask questions. Using your cellphones camera to take a video can be helpful later. Too often dealers like to rush you through the process.

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #3

Video is a great idea, but i'm still scared that even if i have the checklist, they will work around a problem without me knowing because i don't know what to look for..... does that make sense?
Old 11-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Sure it does, you have to check everything and you want to get it right!

Buying a used camper your also gonna want to check for signs of water damage. Bathrooms can be a problem area for floor issues from water damage as well as roof vents. Delaminating walls will look like bubbles in the exterior.
Hiring someone to do a walk thru can be a good idea, although I never used one. Bring a friend, often they may not be blinded by the excitement of all the eye candy.
I cant stress enough , take your time and look hard at everything! Make sure ALL things work!
If you see something you really don't like walk away!
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #5

Thank you, Plato
Old 11-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #6

Highly recommend the videoing. You get hit with so much information it's really difficult to remember it all. Bring the friend... great idea. If your friend has RV experience, even better. Good luck & welcome!

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

I would take someone experienced with me like others have stated. And, if you walk away, be prepared to forfeit the deposit. If you could get a deposit back, it would be pointless to even require it.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

My husband and I divided up the PDI. He focused on the outside and mechanical issues and I focused on the inside and non-mechanical issues. This helped us cover more of our list and allowed one person to observe and think about what was being asked and how it was being answered with a little more objectiveness.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
Dr Travel

Having sold these beasts, recommend the following: 1) turn on and off EVERYTHING and make sure it not only works, but works RIGHT. Lights, fridge, hot water heater, fridge; TV, radio, AC, outside lights, awning extends and retracts; toilet, shower, sinks, fans. 2) look for abnormal wear and tear: tires, awning material, carpeting, steps, counters, sinks. 3) Biggest challenge as noted above is water damage - number one problem with RVs of all kinds. Check the roof closely, look for dried/brittle/separating caulk, roof material curling, evidence of water damage as noted above (softness in floors anywhere, walls at joints with roof - which reminds me, check on the floor of the shower for strength/solid); check garages for water damage. Oh and make sure garage lights work. Check the water system to make sure nothing leaks. Be sure to know where the filtration system is, how to access it, how to change it. Check all the tank gauges to see if they work/are accurate. Check the blinds to see if any need to be "restrung", a real pain in the butt! Turn on the burners to make sure they work, too. If you have a grill that hooks up outside to the propane tanks, check them out to be sure the connection works. Check the gauges on the propane to be sure it tells how much propane is left, or if it gives you a warning you are running out. If you have power vents, move them up and down to see how they work. Hope that helps. Keep a good accurate list, don't be in a hurry, you will have NO recourse once you buy…..
Old 11-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
if you walk away, be prepared to forfeit the deposit. If you could get a deposit back, it would be pointless to even require it.

That's not always the case dustman. It really depends on the dealer. If the issue that causes you to not want to proceed with the purchase is legitimate and is the dealers fault, or has to do with a previously unseen or hidden condition or defect in the unit, most dealers will gladly refund your deposit with no BS even when you signed a document saying its non refundable. Common courtesy however says you give the dealer every possibility to make it right to your satisfaction so the sale can proceed.

If a dealer wants to fight you on it, and its truly their fault or they're trying to pull a fast one, then you don't want to be buying from them in the first place. Then you know they are just a POS. In that case you have to start making phone calls. Once they see your taking it to the next level you'll probably be getting it refunded in short order, but that's going to cost you a few hundred. Now days with the internet and forums such as this, those dealer games are getting harder to pull off if they want to stay in business. If a dealer wants to play those games hes banking on you just walking or not pursuing it from the start. Once you do he'll change his mind quick if you're in the right.

The issue can not be because you just "changed your mind". That's the what the deposit is meant to prevent. There is a cost to the dealer once you agree to buy. You should of also done your due diligence to a point before putting down the deposit. Especially so on a used unit.

Too bad you're in Texas and not here in PA, I'd love to go on your PDI with you RV5er. The dealer might not have liked it so much. I would of shown up with tools, ladders and creepers. Good luck.