Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #1

Reaching end of rope with factory parts dept

Our 2013 Windjammer is in a bit of a jam. Had minor accident for which our RV repair shop ordered factory parts which were initially promised by a date certain but were not delivered ... Forest River THEN told the shop the items were "back ordered" making us wait several MORE weeks.

We are at SIX WEEKS AND COUNTING as of today on what should be a simple parts order. Repairs are NOT extensive.

Today I called the factory myself after the repair shop said they were getting nowhere. Forest River (Todd Stringfellow, 574 642 2640 ext 125) now says they have the parts but will not be shipping them for AT LEAST FIVE MORE DAYS!

We are full-timers and have been sitting here in Florida waiting for these parts. Doing without our awning on days when the temps are in the 90s with 90% plus humidity. Not fun. Yet Forest River STILL refuses to promise a specific ship date, and refuses to expedite our order.

We have two more weeks at our current location and then will be leaving for the other side of the state and our winter home. We need these parts! I explained this to Todd Stringfellow. He simply repeats the same response over and over, as if in a trance: We can try to get these out within the next five days.

FOREST RIVER: YOUR PARTS STAFF IS ***SPECTACULARLY*** UNHELPFUL!

DO YOU CARE?

I'm currently waiting for a call back from Todd's manager Stephanie Richardson 574 642 2640 (at least that is who he said was his boss's name but who knows). Two messages left so far and no response.

Can anyone help me with a name or contact info of someone higher up? Maybe they can get something done over there?

At this point I'm ready to forgo decals and go for a custom-painted banner that says "ASK ME WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER BUY AN RV FROM FOREST RIVER." As a full-time RVer I'm sure lots of folks will ask me. And they will get an earful!
Theresa Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Traveling Two

Took me months to just get a window screen.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Bakker View Post
Our 2013 Windjammer is in a bit of a jam. Had minor accident for which our RV repair shop ordered factory parts which were initially promised by a date certain but were not delivered ... Forest River THEN told the shop the items were "back ordered" making us wait several MORE weeks.

We are at SIX WEEKS AND COUNTING as of today on what should be a simple parts order. Repairs are NOT extensive.

Today I called the factory myself after the repair shop said they were getting nowhere. Forest River (Todd Stringfellow, 574 642 2640 ext 125) now says they have the parts but will not be shipping them for AT LEAST FIVE MORE DAYS!

We are full-timers and have been sitting here in Florida waiting for these parts. Doing without our awning on days when the temps are in the 90s with 90% plus humidity. Not fun. Yet Forest River STILL refuses to promise a specific ship date, and refuses to expedite our order.

We have two more weeks at our current location and then will be leaving for the other side of the state and our winter home. We need these parts! I explained this to Todd Stringfellow. He simply repeats the same response over and over: We can try to get these out within the next five days.

FOREST RIVER: YOUR PARTS STAFF IS ***SPECTACULARLY*** UNHELPFUL!

DO YOU CARE?

I'm currently waiting for a call back from Todd's manager Stephanie Richardson 574 642 2640 (at least that is who he said was his boss's name but who knows). Two messages left so far and no response.

Can anyone help me with a name or contact info of someone higher up? Maybe they can get something done over there?

At this point I'm ready to forgo decals and go for a custom-painted banner that says "ASK ME WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER BUY AN RV FROM FOREST RIVER." As a full-time RVer I'm sure lots of folks will ask me. And they will get an earful!
Sorry about your problems, but most of the time the dealer has the parts put on the next trailer that they are getting in. It happened to me twice. They gave me the option of paying delv. buy truck because it was a ladder and could not be done by UPS. The first ladder was the wrong ladder the second one took another month to get here. All together about 3 total months but it was only a rear ladder not like yours.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #4

I don't think that's the problem in this case since we are dealing with a repair shop and the shop KNOWS they are not going to keep this repair job unless the parts get there in time. The shop has followed up with numerous emails and I have called Forest River myself. They admit THEY ARE SITTING ON THE PARTS and intend to do so for another FIVE DAYS before they even think about shipping them. Unbefrickinlievable.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I sent a PM to Bob (head of the Forest River Owners Group at FR).
We will see if he can get an answer for you.

You came to the right place for help.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Director, FROG

I spoke yesterday (Monday, 10/21) with Theresa and then with Todd Stringfellow. Todd assured me that the parts are now on hand, were already packaged, and were waiting to be picked up yesterday afternoon for delivery.

Thanks to Herk for sending me a PM to alert me on this so that I could follow up with Todd.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #7

HUGE Thank you.

Bob, thank you so much for intervening with Forest River on my behalf. The factory parts center called me and gave me a tracking number for my parts order and items are expected in the repair shop by this Thursday. (UPS picked my order up yesterday around close of business.)

Again, my deep appreciation for getting something done that neither my repair shop, my insurance adjuster, nor I could do.

Theresa Bakker
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #8

I hate to say that I had to go threw something like this too. but mine took 4 months to get it half way fixed i am still not 100% happy. I bought my 2013 wildwood xlite from Lazydays in Tampa , Fl. It had issues with the cabinets from day one. the laminate was pilling off and the under sink cabinet was messed up. i didnt even take it home for the first month i owned it so they could repair it. when I went to pick it up because we had a trip planned for fort wilderness at disney. i was not happy and the cabinets were still as bad as they were the first time. so after our trip i dropped it back off and it stayed there for 3 more months while waiting on the right parts and new cabinets from forest river. they finally got the new cabinets in but they still have issues. not really happy with the service level that i have gotten from forest river. Lazydays on the other hand has been great and even when it was bad news they kept me updated and in the loop. I like the lay out of our trailer but we are going to sell it or trade it in if they cant fix the issues soon. it is sad that i have paid for months for something I haven't been able to use. and I didn't even get a were sorry or compensated for our lost time.
and still not happy with the replaced parts
Rustydade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #9

Seems like a pervasive problem

The shop that will be fixing my Windjammer (parts were delivered today) has told me that they have a LOT of other parts orders pending with Forest River that are in the same situation as mine. The only reason I got my parts was because I raised holy hell with the company, on here and via email direct to Forest River. This should NOT be necessary.

It seems that once they have been paid for one of their rigs, Forest River is not really invested in customer satisfaction. This is penny wise and pound foolish of course, because it is bound to damage their reputation and future sales eventually.

According to the people I've spoken to in the factory, one problem is "back orders" of parts, which made me throw the BS flag ... Our rig is a 2013 and I'm extremely skeptical that there are no parts on hand for this year's rigs AT THE FACTORY.

Second, they said that their mailroom is five days behind on shipping things out. In this economy, this is an easily solvable problem as there is no shortage of workers who could be hired so that customers can get their orders within a reasonable period of time. (Or, at the very least, they should be springing for some overtime and weekends with their current staff until the backlog is cleared).

That's what you do when you actually care about customer satisfaction anyway.

While I'm grateful for the help I've received from FROG, I remain skeptical that any real change is going to happen as a result of my squeakywheelitude... the problem is just so widespread that it's difficult to believe upper management is unaware of it.

All signs point to the conclusion that upper management at Forest River is fully aware of these issues and are simply unwilling to remedy the problem.

I anticipate we will trade in or sell our Windjammer sooner rather than later for this reason. We are full-timers and need to be able to make repairs to our home within a reasonable period of time, every time. But as we're once-burned, twice shy in this regard, we will be carefully researching customer service reviews of other manufacturers before making the leap.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Glad we could help.

There is a benefit to being a member of our family!
Herk
Old 10-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #11

Can I ask what warranty parts were you waiting on so long? It sounds like an awning or an awning part by your 1st post. Is that correct? I ordered decals and had them within a week after I had to send pictures of the exact ones needed. Other parts such as common switches and a hot water heater limit which are common in all the units I always got within a week. As I posted before it did take awhile for a ladder. Even once when my TV went out my dealer just went and bought a new one at Walmart while I waited. Even asked what 32" I would prefer. So really I can't cast a total blanket over the whole company. I'm glad you got Bob to help you he has helped other people also to get things expedited. I glad you made your point and noise with them. Sometimes a good boot gets things done. So good for you, and I hope they sent the right part, I know they will send the wrong ones also. I'm glad to hear your nightmare is almost over....

Old 10-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #12

Yeah I agree my wife and I are only in our 30's and love camping and probably would have been life long owners of forest rivers but now I prob. Will go with another brand. We were already talking about moving up to a class A in a year. This was our frist camper and we really didn't know what we needed or wanted so we were starting here and planning to go bigger and better.. just think how many sells just off of us they have lost over the next few years. Man I am glad I don't run my businesses this away.
Rustydade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #13

This appears to be the norm. It took just over 4 months to get a replacement part for our Coachman after a minor accident (my fault). The trailer was in the shop from April 4th until late August. First the part was promised from Forest River and not delivered, then to be told that they never actually had a spare to begin with. So it had to be manufactured. Then they lost the part. Also, my repair shop (the dealer) let us down I believe, by not following up with Forest River. It was only after I wrote emails and made phone calls to Forest River that things happened. I really like our trailer, but the experience has made us doubt we will ever buy Forest River again. Anyway, glad your problem is getting resolved.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Rustydade, psaman, I think you two will find that you will have the same problem with other manufacturers. Having been camping for 53+ yrs and talking to other people, everyone has horror stories about all of them up to an including the million dollar plus Prevosts.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Rustydade, psaman, I think you two will find that you will have the same problem with other manufacturers. Having been camping for 53+ yrs and talking to other people, everyone has horror stories about all of them up to an including the million dollar plus Prevosts.
I had suspicions that was the case.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaman View Post
I had suspicions that was the case.
With the many years of camping we've done, I will say that I have never heard of a rally held by any manufacture EXCEPT Forest River, where you could go and have any problem you had fixed FOR FREE. This happened last year and I was a witness to it this year. I think you two fellows may be burning a big bridge by eliminating Forest River. Next year, make plans to attend the rally and see for yourselves! End of sermon.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydade View Post
Yeah I agree my wife and I are only in our 30's and love camping and probably would have been life long owners of forest rivers but now I prob. Will go with another brand. We were already talking about moving up to a class A in a year. This was our frist camper and we really didn't know what we needed or wanted so we were starting here and planning to go bigger and better.. just think how many sells just off of us they have lost over the next few years. Man I am glad I don't run my businesses this away.
I doubt if they will lose any sales, as the Old Goat OC said every trailer made has problems. He is correct on that. But as everyone say's that been around awhile say's the samething it's hard to beat FR and there P.R. by what they do it will overshadow anything that is standard in the industry no matter what brand. This is my 3rd FR product, either I'm a glutton for punishment or they are pretty up there in my opinion. Never seen another dealer help you for free out of warranty. Its hard to beat them and they sell more TT then any other brand. Sorry you think that way. They are really a good company.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Don't forget that FR makes some NICE Class A campers.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #19

Well this is our second Forest River product and we have been happy with both. This was just our first time dealing with repairs and it was very aggravating. I'm sure for every story like mine there is someone who had the opposite experience. We plan on keeping this trailer for awhile and it may be silly to say we won't buy Forest River again, but the frustration is still fresh and time will pass.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaman View Post
Well this is our second Forest River product and we have been happy with both. This was just our first time dealing with repairs and it was very aggravating. I'm sure for every story like mine there is someone who had the opposite experience. We plan on keeping this trailer for awhile and it may be silly to say we won't buy Forest River again, but the frustration is still fresh and time will pass.
Frustration at the time can be and often is overpowering. Make plans to go to next year's rally. It's a fantastic experience and you will be amazed at what happens there for FR customers plus you get to meet the Phat Phrog Stunt Team and partake in their Pot Luck.

Tags
customer service, delay, factory, parts