Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Ready to buy used Rockwood 2306 -- good price?

Hey folks, just joined up and looking for advice on a purchase. I've got a line on a used 2012 Rockwood 2306. It was bought new in April 2011 and used four times. The couple is getting divorced and need to sell. It has the Convenience Package including Murphy bed, wood-look flooring, double bunk, LCD TV, 14" wheels, etc. Basically it's perfect.

They paid $18.5k a year ago, and are now asking $17k (although she admitted that was high). From what I've seen, these rigs can be had new for around $17k out the door; given depreciation from just driving off the lot, I was thinking something in the $13k-$14k range was ballpark.

Can you all offer your thoughts on price? I'd like to get a good deal of course, but am willing to pay "fair price". Thanks!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

Welcome, PG. FYI, in December of 2010, I bought a new 2011 Rockwood 2306 Mini-Lite with the queen bed instead of the murphy bed and three bunks, paid $12,000, including the WD hitch, at RV Wholesalers in Ohio. You could probably get a much better deal on a a new unit which would include a year of manufacturer's protection. I would check some of the wholesalers in your region before paying that much for a used tt, even though it's been used sparingly.

We love our 2306. It is the right size for us and meets our needs. With the benefit of experience and hindsight, I wish I would have purchased the 2306 with the murphy bed because it would open up more living space than we have with the queen bed. I would also make sure I have thirteen inch wheels instead of the twelve inch wheels, which is what we have. My driveway is on a slope and the rear end scrapes the macadam unless we lay 2x8's at the bottom of the driveway to get the extra lift needed to clear.

You should be pleased with the 2306, but you also have plenty of time before the camping season begins, unless you live in a warm weather climate. I would take my time, talk to other dealers and shop around to see what you can get in a new unit. If the sellers paid $18.5 for that unit, they got scalped unless it's got some extras...many extras...that you haven't mentioned. If you're not in a hurry, shop around.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #3

Looking at the same unit,with a murphy bed,WANA rv sells them new with all options for under 15,000
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

My quotes from RVWholesalers were not as good as GKconfer's. They were in the $14.5K range. I just purchased one at a local dealer at $14.9K out the door with the murphy bed option, power awning and most other optional equipment. If she paid that much then she was ripped off. Don't let their mistake be your mistake. I agree to get an on-line quote from RV Wholesalers and RVDirect and then discount it at least 30%. I am not sure if the warranty is transferrable or not but if it's not then you should discount it even more. There are a lot of things that can go wrong in the first year and you won't be able to take advantage of any manufacturer warranty.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Check NADA or KBB

you should be able to 'book' the RV by reviewing NADA guides or Kelly Blue Book. Campers, like cars have a fair market value that can be determined by reviewing trade publications or other similar transactions. Remember this is a private party sale, not a retail sale. The price should reflect something lower than retail but greater than wholesale.

2011 Rockwood MINI LITE Series M-2306 - 23' Prices, Values & Specs - NADAguides

$17K sounds quite steep for that camper. I paid $13,400 + tax for our 2011 Flagstaff M/L 23lb which we purchased in February 2011. (same as the 2306).

The 2306 is a great camper with a great floor plan.

Good luck with this decision.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #6

Thank you all for the great information. The seller actually gave us a copy of their purchase invoice -- they paid $18.8k out the door ($17.7k for the base trailer, $575 for options/upgrades, and $500 tax). From what I'm hearing, something in the $15k range would have been more typical?

We love the trailer and the convenience of immediate delivery (vice driving to RVW in Ohio). I was thinking $14k would be more than fair.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #7

shipping from Ohio to Colorado is $1,800 +/-
RVW price $15400 + Shipping = $17,200

When I was looking for this camper I was quoted about $17,500 new!

I'll send you a pm with more info on a place / price for this camper.

Darren
Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #8

I have a 2306 - bought new in March 2011

the disadvantage of buying it used it being the 2nd owner you get Zero Warranty

Check the roof - especially around the atenna - that is where I had a leak 2 months after I took delivery - Dycor Self Leveling Lap Sealant - no more leak
If there was a leak from it - you will notice it in the cabinet to the left of the TV if it is mounted to the side wall next to the fridge.

I paid 17.9K out the door for my unit with options.

what options does it have other then the conveniece package?
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
shipping from Ohio to Colorado is $1,800 +/-
RVW price $15400 + Shipping = $17,200

When I was looking for this camper I was quoted about $17,500 new!

I'll send you a pm with more info on a place / price for this camper.

Darren
The paperwork I have from where I bought mine shows this which is close to what you have there

Unit Price $13,953
Freight $1,770
Mine had $1,043 in Options
$16,766 + $1,056 Sales Tax

$17,923.85 Out the door

One option I would suggest not getting is the storm windows cause all's they are is a Plexy Glass with a black aluminum frame and it render's your windows un-open able except the emergency window.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
One option I would suggest not getting is the storm windows cause all's they are is a Plexy Glass with a black aluminum frame and it render's your windows un-open able except the emergency window.
That's F/R's version of a double - PAIN window.

I hear ya' Matt!

BTW -- if you ever want to horse trade for the front window plexi and bunk area plexi, I'll trade for the 3" F/R lift.

To the original post -- the 2306 is a great camper -- we have not had any lasting problems with our unit and are very pleased. A few 'tweaks' and fixes and she's perfect for our needs!

Tags