Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
recommendations? insight?

Hi all-
We are in the market for a travel trailer and have narrowed our search down to 2 units- 2013 Surveyor Select sv-291 (int/ext/lux pkgs) and 2013 Prime Time Tracer 2900bhs (with the executive/touring pkgs). Is there anyone who has experience with either of these campers? This will be our first TT (graduating from pop-up). I am open to other camper suggestions as well. We want bunks b/c we have 2 small kids (4 and 6 yrs old) and want to give them each some individual sleeping space (so we don't outgrow the camper in the next couple of years).
There are a lot of similarities between these models, but some pretty huge (we think) differences. For instance, the height off the ground is different (the Surveyor is much lower to the ground-does it drag?). The type of axle on each unit (we think the Surveyor is an upgrade). The R value of the unit (the Tracer seems to have a better R value overall).
We will be towing with a 2002 Tahoe, V-8, 5.3L, with the tow/haul package. I think the ratio is 3.42. From we have been told, we can tow up to 6900# (based on 3.42 if it has the 3.73, we can go up, but don't necessarily want to)-so we should be fine with towing either camper.
Another concern we have, is that it is difficult to find the Prime Time campers and wonder if this will be an issue down the road-repairs/resale/etc.
We live in Georgia and don't mind driving to pick up the camper we ultimately buy, but are having difficulty finding much out there in the Tracer (which may limit our ability to haggle).
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

VRMHW-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Mod free 5er
You might try Tom Johnson Camping Center in Concord, NC. Great place, friendly people, David Caroon & Tyrone Byrd were our salesmen and were very good with which to deal. New and Used RVs For Sale, Service, Parts Tom Johnson Camping Center Concord (Charlotte) and Marion North Carolina
I would call them and ask for either David or T Byrd, they might have another model/make to suit your needs. Worth a try, they have a huge selection.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Look at the weight sticker on the Surveyor as equipped on the lot ready for delivery.
The dry weight on ours was advertised at about 4300 lbs. It weighs about 5300 lbs.
I like our TT, it rides and handles very well.
I am not concerned about dragging the tail. Public driveways or sidewalk aprons aren't as steep as they used to be. It may have something to do with accessibility.
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
my direct tv will not work in my 2012 freedom express 310bhds does any one have answers have the cable wire rg6 from directtv two yrs ago
larryquill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Thanks for the information-
Regarding the weights of the units, the sticker on the campers showed weights of about 5200#. We figure if we add another 1000# for our stuff, we are still under the 6900# limit. Also, i feel a little better about the clearance of the surveyor.
I am going to check out the place recommended in NC. Thanks for that info.
Any idea what fair market value on these units should be? They both have prices listed at about 25k (lower than the msrp of about 28-30k). Prices are all over the place, but from what i have read i should shoot for about 30% -40% less than msrp (which seems to be a rather vague and random number). As a woman, i have had a little difficulty being taken seriously at one of the dealerships i went into-so i walked. I don't mind a business making a profit, but i don't want to just open up my wallet to them either. I have yet to make an offer on a unit because i want to be sure which one we want first. Then, i will make an offer and be prepared to buy.
Thanks again for your help.
VRMHW-M is offline   Reply With Quote