Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Repair or not?

My wife and I own a 2014 Coachmen Catalina. it is parked under cover but the front faces west and the last storm gave us some hail damage to the front.

I am wondering if it is worth having the insurance repair it. The metal sheet runs side to side and it looks like both side seams plus the seams above and below the sheet would have to be opened.

We plan on keeping this 10 years or so before trading, will a dozen hail dents really depreciate the value?

I would hate to have the repairs done and end up with a leak somewhere down the road.

Any comments?

Thank you for your time.
Allen

2014 Coachmen Catalina 273DBS
50th Anniversary model
acope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

Its hard to say, it depends on a lot of factors. The biggest one thing would be are you OK with looking at those dents? Being that its the front of the trailer, you likely will pick up a few more just in traveling (I know I have) down the road. If you were to trade it in next year, the dents affecting the trade in would be a bigger deal....9 years from now, it wont be a huge deal I would assume. There is always the deductible as well....that should play a factor.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Also, is the damage limited to just dents, or are there any other issues, like a broken window or such?

If it's just cosmetic, that's a different choice than if there's a structural and/or functional issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

I would want a 2014 fixed
Looking to purchase a Georgetown 364 ts Mh in the next couple of years.
mr dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #5

the traditional "stick and tin" as they are known repair quite well. you replace that metal and your good as new. if the rest is nice then I think its a worthy cause. situations could always change and you might want to sell before the 10 year time period.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

Since it is fairly new I would have the insurance fix it, especially if they are going to eat most of the bill. My deductable is pretty low, I assume on TT insurance most deductibles are low since they are pretty cheap to insure.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

I appreciate everyone's input. Our biggest concern is opening up both side seams and the front to roof seam for the repair. How well do those go back together? Would hate to get the cosmetics fixed to end up with a water leak down the road.

2014 Coachmen Catalina 273DBS
50th Anniversary model
acope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by acope View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. Our biggest concern is opening up both side seams and the front to roof seam for the repair. How well do those go back together? Would hate to get the cosmetics fixed to end up with a water leak down the road.
depends entirely on who does the work. i would ask for pictures or previous work. there were many jobs I had done, thinking later, "I wish I had before and after pics". We caulk the molding when done. Tedious but done well, it looks good and seals good.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair