Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #1

Resale Value

I'm wanting to sell my 2008 Forrest River Cardinal, Model 30 SB, but this model is not listed in NADA. How can I find the resale value?
jeemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #2

I would check rv trader online for that model and you will probably get a good idea on what they are selling for around the country. I find that to be a better resource because it really doesn't matter what something is worth, it maters what people are paying to get them.

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

While this may be controversial, it is my opinion that modern travel trailers (not so much motor homes) loose value faster today than campers made previously.

Although you can finance a travel trailer for 10 years; you will be upside down in less than 3. The lightweight frames and sandwich construction methods make hidden damage difficult to find until it is too late to do anything about it.

If someone uses the camper a lot; frame cracks from frequent flexing are a concern. If someone uses it infrequently, then water leaks from poorly maintained roof seams can go undetected until damage is beyond repair.

Buying a used camper can be a great deal since some (very few) actually use and maintain their camper with determination. MOST do not.

At the 5 year point my camper will get a nose cap off NDI inspection of all frame welds since I have spent a lot of time and money modifying and fine tuning my camper to make it mine. Most people will not and have little or no emotional attachment to their camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kingframe2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	22855   Click image for larger version

Name:	kingframe6.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	22856   Click image for larger version

Name:	kingframe1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	22857   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0005.jpg
Views:	2021
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	22858   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	22859  

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Are you sure its a 30SB?? Not a 30QSB LE or 31 SB LX?

I don't recall that model....ever....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
While this may be controversial, it is my opinion that modern travel trailers (not so much motor homes) loose value faster today than campers made previously.

Although you can finance a travel trailer for 10 years; you will be upside down in less than 3. The lightweight frames and sandwich construction methods make hidden damage difficult to find until it is too late to do anything about it.

If someone uses the camper a lot; frame cracks from frequent flexing are a concern. If someone uses it infrequently, then water leaks from poorly maintained roof seams can go undetected until damage is beyond repair.

Buying a used camper can be a great deal since some (very few) actually use and maintain their camper with determination. MOST do not.

At the 5 year point my camper will get a nose cap off NDI inspection of all frame welds since I have spent a lot of time and money modifying and fine tuning my camper to make it mine. Most people will not and have little or no emotional attachment to their camper.

Lou is probably one of the few who will get a NDI inspection performed on his camper. For those of you who don't know what a NDI is, it is a Non Destructive Inspection performed by using X ray or some other inspection method that allows inspection of components without destroying them. It is a common inspection method used in aircraft inspection, among other things.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Lou is probably one of the few who will get a NDI inspection performed on his camper. For those of you who don't know what a NDI is, it is a Non Destructive Inspection performed by using X ray or some other inspection method that allows inspection of components without destroying them. It is a common inspection method used in aircraft inspection, among other things.
Ultrasonic or Eddy Current testing is not all that expensive when weighed against the value of your camper. There is one near you. There one is about 5 miles from my house. http://www.globalspec.com/local/3106/PA
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
H2oski

I think here will use liquid penetrant or maybe eddy current. Ha ha
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Ultrasonic or Eddy Current testing is not all that expensive when weighed against the value of your camper.
Probably correct. I was just saying that probably most RV owners (myself included) wouldn't ever think of having a NDI performed on their unit.

BTW - I have been to several NDI schools and with the right equipment, I could perform an Eddy Current test. Really simple both in theory and application.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
I think here will use liquid penetrant or maybe eddy current. Ha ha
I believe you are confusing "liquid penetrant" with a NDI method called Magnetic Particle Inspection (commonly called Magnafluxing or Magnaflux) that uses a liquid penetrant to detect flaws in components. This method requires some electrical equipment.

Or perhaps you are thinking of a simple NDI method that uses a penetrant that is applied to a component and will show a crack or flaw.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Probably correct. I was just saying that probably most RV owners (myself included) wouldn't ever think of having a NDI performed on their unit.

BTW - I have been to several NDI schools and with the right equipment, I could perform an Eddy Current test. Really simple both in theory and application.
Zetec Miz 20A Eddy Current Unit NDT Equipment | eBay

and you could be the most popular camper at our next FROG Rally!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Zetec Miz 20A Eddy Current Unit NDT Equipment | eBay

and you could be the most popular camper at our next FROG Rally!
Once again - correct.

Tags
2008 cardinal 30 sb