Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
So we don't make a mistake; can you explain what made you change?

The CEO of Good Sam
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #22

Road side assistance

I have State Farm insurance on my motor home . The policy covers roadside assistance . You should check with your local agent .
Bob43B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #23

I recently traveled with a number of other people. Part of the trip was through Yellowstone NP where one RV broke down in the park. The park service only allows their own tow trucks in the park. They charge $900 to tow to the gate where they drop you and you are on your own from there. Good Sam paid the $900 plus the towing company that towed the RV from the gate to the repair shop. Will coachnet or aaa do that?
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #24

We have had AAA coverage for years on our trailers. However, we also have OnStar with our Chevy Silverado TV. What a great program. We have been stranded more than once with TV problems, and OnStar not only knows where you are, they can dispatch a tow truck from the nearest location - in our latest case, that was 56 miles away!!

If you have the option of going with OnStar, I highly recommend it. AAA is OK, too. Their rates don't change much from year to year.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #25
Dr Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The CEO of Good Sam
I never signed up with Good Sam's for roadside services...only for their RV park discounts...

What made me NOT buy their services is too many stories from fellow full-timers of problems with service. Sorry I do not have a personal experience to share.

I believe Good Sam's is tied in with Camping World, and I have had a bad experience with that company. Tried to get some info on buying a rig there and the sales guy both misled and lied to us. Refused to give us information about monthly payments because we told him we were not buying that day. Swore off Camping World that day...
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #26

I had to use Good Sam last Jan when my sedan overheated on the interstate near Gainsville FL. They towed me to then nearest facility which was a "one-horse" outfit next to a filling station. They said they replaced the radiator, etc. at a cost of $650 plus. The car went a few miles down the highway when it overheated again. The next place replace the proper faulty parts so Good Sam's nearest facility took me for $650 plus. I'm not sure what recourse I have besides giving someone else my business.
dsiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #27

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
Read your policy to ensure you're covered to the degree that you want.

I compared this in March when I bought a new truck that came with road side assistance. My insurance provider offered RV coverage, but, I didn't like the wording. It used language such as "towed to the closest repair facility" and "within 25 miles". There is too much discretion for the insurance company to weasel out of paying a claim.

I continue to use CAA (Canadian version of AAA) RV Premier. CAA seems to have no restrictions about towing as long as its within your plan.

my 2 cents.
Approximately six months ago, I checked with AAA regarding their policy on various tow scenarios. If the tow vehicle has a break down that qualifies to be towed, AAA WILL leave the trailer parked on the roadway right of way and NOT tow it to a off highway location. This was determined after my telephone call was transferred twice and I ended up at their dispatch center.

AAA representatives stated the best way to get an answer is to speak with dispatch, as dispatch makes the decisions on all requests for service.

Several additional scenarios should be reviewed for service. Is the tow strictly for mechanical breakdowns? Can a tow be provided in a traffic accident incident , wherein the vehicle cannot be driven? DO NOT assume it can as they may charge for the latter tow. Compare this to Good Sam, who will tow both vehicles from the roadway area.

This holds true for the "tow service" coverage offered in auto policies. The policy language is very vague. At best, I consider tow coverage in auto policies lacking in service. I always have the auto policy carrier respond in an e-mail, as proof of their specific coverages.

Spend some time researching and you will be amazed at the lack of tow service knowledge by the insurance representatives.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Both Good Sam and Coach-Net offer unlimited distance on towing to nearest repair center. They will also tow your trailer to a suitable location if the breakdown was your TV. I have had good experiences with both.
I had Coach Net and they will tow you to the nearest repair center or the shortest distance for them (least cost). The number of times is unlimited but you don't get to go where you want.

I changed to CAA because of this.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #29

Another option would be to join the American Motorcyclist Association for $49 a year.
Part of the membership plan is roadside assistance for your vehicle (car, truck or motorcycle) and any trailer you might be pulling. It also covers all members in your household at no additional cost.

We have RV roadside assistance through Geico, but there have been occasions where after they have contacted the towing company, and the towing company realized how far away we were, they came back and said they do not service that area. Geico said no other towing service was available and just left us high and dry.

AMA came to the rescue.
jrminiquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I'm reviewing my Roadside assistance options currently I have AAA Premier with the RV coverage for my wife and I. I'm paying $109.00 + $45.00 for my wife and additional $40.00 for the RV coverage. For a total of 194.00

Not really sure I need the Premier and it its only like $50 more a year then the Plus membership

I'm insured with State Farm but I'm told they don't offer RV Roadside Assistance on Towables.

I was looking at the The Good Sam's Roadside Assistance Options and it seems like a good deal at $79.95 but not sure if I am comparing apples to apples ?

Are there any RV only Roadside assistance options offered for towables? Any input would be appreciated.

I have AAA with RV coverage and used it just this past Thursday night. Very disappointed. I have had it for several years and really only keep it for assurance if my wife has issues while on the road it is available.
Had a flat on the 5th wheel Thursday and didn’t have what I needed with me to change the tire. So I called AAA. Got a call back from the dispatcher gathering as much detail about the trailer to make sure they find someone that can do the job. 20 minutes later. Got a call back that the provider had been contacted and was towing another vehicle but would be there within 2 1/2 hours.

As I had pulled into a wal mart parking lot decided to go in and see if I could get what I needed there. It would have been around $150 to get everything so I decided to wait on AAA. about 30 minutes later the truck showed up and he pulled a small 1 1/2 tin jack out of his truck. After several minutes of trying to make the jack work, I was tired and read to get the tire chafed and get on the road. I went into wal mart and fought a set of drive up auto ramps rated for a 12000 vehicle to drive the trailer up on which ultimately worked.

I have stocked the trailer with all I need to change a tire, and will continue carrying some type of roadside assistance for the RV but will put a lot of stock in reports I read in this post to determine whether that remains AAA or not.
randymoore5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #31

Send a message via MSN to DreamRunners
We were leaving Southern Utah through northern Arizona, had a flat tire in the middle of the desert with108 degree, we called Coach-Net and the closest repair was 3 hours away and they did come out to change that tire. So 3 hours coming and 3 hours going back. We were not charged for the trip.
That is why we will stick with Coach-Net, everyone needs to go with whom they feel good about.
DreamRunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #32

I have both Coach net and Good Sam. I have only used Good Sam. As for an extended warranty/service contract I would only feel good with Good Sam. I also have had Good Sam RV insurance for the past 6 years.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
Read your policy to ensure you're covered to the degree that you want.

I compared this in March when I bought a new truck that came with road side assistance. My insurance provider offered RV coverage, but, I didn't like the wording. It used language such as "towed to the closest repair facility" and "within 25 miles". There is too much discretion for the insurance company to weasel out of paying a claim.

I continue to use CAA (Canadian version of AAA) RV Premier. CAA seems to have no restrictions about towing as long as its within your plan.

my 2 cents.
X2 I paid $500 out of my pocket with Coachnet in order to tow it where I wanted. I am now with CAA.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:35 PM   #34

You may want to double check with State Farm. I also have them. If I’m towing your trailer and there’s a blow out my roadside covers it as well. I’ve had great luck with them.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I'm reviewing my Roadside assistance options currently I have AAA Premier with the RV coverage for my wife and I. I'm paying $109.00 + $45.00 for my wife and additional $40.00 for the RV coverage. For a total of 194.00

Not really sure I need the Premier and it its only like $50 more a year then the Plus membership

I'm insured with State Farm but I'm told they don't offer RV Roadside Assistance on Towables.

I was looking at the The Good Sam's Roadside Assistance Options and it seems like a good deal at $79.95 but not sure if I am comparing apples to apples ?

Are there any RV only Roadside assistance options offered for towables? Any input would be appreciated.
I have State Farm and I just added Emergency Road Service to my policy. I have not received the policy which explains what it does exactly but was told that it will provide tow services and/or roadside service.