Old 10-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #1

Roadside Assistance Options ?

I'm reviewing my Roadside assistance options currently I have AAA Premier with the RV coverage for my wife and I. I'm paying $109.00 + $45.00 for my wife and additional $40.00 for the RV coverage. For a total of 194.00

Not really sure I need the Premier and it its only like $50 more a year then the Plus membership

I'm insured with State Farm but I'm told they don't offer RV Roadside Assistance on Towables.

I was looking at the The Good Sam's Roadside Assistance Options and it seems like a good deal at $79.95 but not sure if I am comparing apples to apples ?

Are there any RV only Roadside assistance options offered for towables? Any input would be appreciated.

TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #2

Does your RV insurance offer any?

Days camped 2017: 7
Days camped 2018: 15
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
Does your RV insurance offer any?
No I have State Farm and was told it's not an option on a Travel Trailer
TST 507 TPMS
Old 10-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
No I have State Farm and was told it's not an option on a Travel Trailer
That's unfortunate. My TT insurance is through Progressive and roadside assistance is included.
Days camped 2017: 7
Days camped 2018: 15
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #5

Ejs4029 , I had Good Sams towing on my RV some years back until we got rid of it. Now that we bought a different RV we started up with Good Sams but after the first year it jumps the cost up after that. Although the first year is lower in cost, I didn't like the teaser rate they offered. We went with AAA and the cost is the same from one year to the next. We also have the plus membership and are thinking about going to the Premier for next year as we are talking about taking a long trip with the RV and the added distance for the towing might be a good thing.
I am sure that most towing insurance are close to being the same but really need to check each package out by looking what each have to offer and final cost.
I would have kept Good Sams if it weren't for the difference in the rate the second year. We already had AAA towing on our cars. Good Sam was cheaper the first year then went up the second and we found AAA for our RV was cheaper then Good Sams RV towing.
Suggest checking at each package before buying.
Good luck with which ever you decide on.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
Enjoying Life

Both Good Sam and Coach-Net offer unlimited distance on towing to nearest repair center. They will also tow your trailer to a suitable location if the breakdown was your TV. I have had good experiences with both.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
TeachTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #7

I was with Good Sam but no more. I have Coach-Net
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
That's unfortunate. My TT insurance is through Progressive and roadside assistance is included.
Read your policy to ensure you're covered to the degree that you want.

I compared this in March when I bought a new truck that came with road side assistance. My insurance provider offered RV coverage, but, I didn't like the wording. It used language such as "towed to the closest repair facility" and "within 25 miles". There is too much discretion for the insurance company to weasel out of paying a claim.

I continue to use CAA (Canadian version of AAA) RV Premier. CAA seems to have no restrictions about towing as long as its within your plan.

my 2 cents.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Both Good Sam and Coach-Net offer unlimited distance on towing to nearest repair center. They will also tow your trailer to a suitable location if the breakdown was your TV. I have had good experiences with both.
When they say unlimited distance to the nearest repair center....Does that mean I don't have an option of getting it repaired at the place of my choice ?

Let's say I am 200 miles from home can I get it towed somewhere local to me ? Or if the nearest repair center is 10 miles from where I broke down that is where it is going to get towed ?
TST 507 TPMS
Old 10-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
When they say unlimited distance to the nearest repair center....Does that mean I don't have an option of getting it repaired at the place of my choice ?

Let's say I am 200 miles from home can I get it towed somewhere local to me ? Or if the nearest repair center is 10 miles from where I broke down that is where it is going to get towed ?
Generally it is the closest repair center that can handle the job. Of course you always have the option of paying the tow truck operator the difference to take it home for you. Good Luck with you choice of plans
No Kids
No Pets
But lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #11

CoachNet. Not sure if they cover if you are not towing, but look into them. I've used them twice in a month with no issues. Once for the trailer, once for my truck while towing trailer.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #12

I have good luck with good Sam my truck was stuck in the mud with trailer attached they got me out within the hour very good service every time I called
RAYSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #13

Roadside Assistance

I'm a State Farm Rd Asst. member, as well as AAA and Good Sam. I pay all three for their top policies. Recently had a wheel bearing / axle problem on I 80 just west of Fairfield, CA. Since I was in an "RV Ca[ital", about 13 miles from a Camping World, who did my axle and lube job 4,000 miles earlier, I called Good Sam. Long story short...they called back twice saying they couldn't find anyone to move my trailer. Then they just left me setting on the side of a very busy freeway in over 90 degree heat. 5 Calif. Hwy Patrol vehicles passed and ignored me. It was a very dangerous place. Finally I called and GS told me they could give me a number to call and that business would "chain up my axle" and I could drive "somewhere to get it fixed". Ohhh...and I'd have to pay for it myself! So, after 5 sweltering and harrowing hours along side a busy Interstate, I called AAA. In 30 minutes they were chaining up the axle and leading me slowly to a great Truck and RV repair shop 5 miles away. Less than a week later, I returned and picked up my trailer which had been totally repaired Needless to say, I now only pay for AAA and State Farm roadside assistance! And I doubt that I'll ever take my TT back to a Camping World for repairs.
JimMorrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #14

I had good sam for years and never used it until my truck became disabled while on a trip on the Oregon coast. We were scheduled to leave Canon Beach RV park the next morning so I called Good Sam and arranged for them to pick up the truck in the A M and also tow our 5th wheel 6 miles to the coast to another park because no sites were available where we were. To make a long story short they didn't show and when I called them back they didn't have a record of my previous call. They sent a tow truck to take my F-350 78 miles to the only Ford dealer that had a machnic available to fix the problem. Since there were other Ford dealers closer they would only cover the mileage to the closest dealer. Additionally, because our rig was not stuck on the road they wouldn't move it to the other park. Thanks to a good camper, our rig got moved. When we returned home I cancelled the Good Sam road side assistance and upped my Auto club coverage to Plus with RV. They told me that with them there would not hav been an additional mileage charge and that they would have move the 5th wheel to another park.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #15

The closest repair facility is the catcher.
I need a tow on my almost new diesel truck. Three yrs old.
The tow was going to be to bubas garage. Dirt floor outside lift, junk cars everywhere, you get the idea.
I said no way. Take it to a official dealer.
Ok but you pay yhe difference.
I was told read the policy. So you decide. Oh yes it was dood sams.
Kwralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to DreamRunners
We have Coach-Net and it serves us very well, it covers the truck, 5th wheel, our cars, motorcycle and atv and trailer for less that what we were paying AAA.
Check into it, we have used them several times.
DreamRunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #17

Choice??

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I was with Good Sam but no more. I have Coach-Net
So we don't make a mistake; can you explain what made you change?
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #18

We have had Good Sam Roadside assistance since 2013 it covers our camper
and all of our cars including the wife's car. We both have a card with our names.

Used it once. Worked fine.

Paid $79.99 a year for every year leaned Good Sams game years ago when I became a life member.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to DreamRunners
When we bought our 5th wheel, we got a year free from Coach-Net and used them during that time and so when it came due, we looked at the whole coverage and what services you got, which was way above AAA. At that time we were paying AAA more for 2 cars and a truck only but through Coach-Net, now we have everything covered, we are on their Premium plan for towables. Check out on their website to see what their coverage includes and cost for you.
DreamRunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #20
Dr Travel

Coachnet/State Farm

While I've heard of CoachNet horror stories, I've only experienced good things from them. Used them twice, and excellent service both times, both situations rather remote but they got the job done with excellent communications.

Also have done very well with State Farm. Their policy does indeed include the fiver and the truck. Had a roof-incident at La Quinta which required a new roof on the fiver. State Farm handled the whole thing with nary a hiccup any time. I have $1,000 deductible and glad I had it. New roof was $6K. They also took care of La Quinta and no premium increase.

Would not trust Good Sam's as far as I could throw them. To me, their only value is their 10% discount at participating RV parks which more than pays for my annual membership.

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote