Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #1

RV insurance question

Hi. I was just working with a new insurance agent to get updated quotes on homeowner's, auto, etc.

When I bought my RV (Rockwood Roo) I unknowingly just added it to my auto insurance policy, with comprehensive and collision added, thinking that was covering me for anything.

The new agent is telling me that this ONLY covers the vehicle when I'm towing, and that when I'm parked in my driveway unhitched or at a campground, I'm not covered. This didn't sound right to me.

So she's quoting me RV insurance at about $400 per year. BUT she says that ONLY is for when I'm parked, I still need to keep it on the auto insurance policy (extra $100) for when I'm towing on the road.

Does this sound right to you? Does everyone here have both types of insurance? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #2

I'm in Canada...so we may have some differences, However, it does sound odd to me.... and expensive.
My (full) coverage is for when I'm towing and when parked, either at an rv park, at home, or anywhere in between. Cost is around $350 (Canadian $'s) for a year.
When I travel any great distance I will boost up my liability and add a roadside assistance at a additional cost.

I'm sure you will get some other members posting to your question.

Good luck
Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #3

Same thing happened to me about a month ago. When I was checking on my insurance, my agent told me the rv was only covered while hooked up, or sitting in the backyard. We went seasonal this year, so I had to change it, Would have sucked if something would have happened to it parked at a campground. It is on the policy with the house, vehicles and utility trailer. rv is somewhere around 200 dollars.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

Insurance tacked onto car policies or home policies usually require claims for contents to come off your homeowner limits, or such.

Having a separate policy, maybe even from a different company, from your other casualty insurance would seem to me to be a good idea.

I got what I got because I could choose from a drop down menu the amount of coverage for contents I wanted. And I could lower the premium by choosing a $2,500 deductible that cuts in half each year it's not used. It's not cheap. Nothing in this game is! But comparing premiums with so many varied ages, claims history, locations in this country, types of RV's, is absolutely meaningless, IMHO.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #5

3 years ago, I did the same thing. I received very little policy information with it. It finally hit me that I'm not receiving any discount for having a a TT combined with my other policies anyways so look elsewhere.

I switched to Progressive and got a TON better coverage, which is all laid out in black and white. Most notably, the replacement values and values of the contents, along with liability for while the RV is parked (IE somebody gets hurt INSIDE your RV or falling out of it). I got this policy for $25 more a year than my auto/home insurance provider's rate....and nothing is left to screw me over. Not to mention, it includes Roadside Assistance and Trip coverage! So now I don't have to carry separate Good Sam RA at the cost of $100 a year.....Overall, $75/year cost savings!

Quote Tip: The rate is determined by the value of your RV, so while one might think it's a good idea to overvalue your RV on the policy, your rate will vary. So, be as accurate as you can with it....Example, I purchased my TT for $18,250.....And I could get it again for that if I wanted. At other dealerships, it's $19,000 or so....If I wanted to insure it for $19,000, my rate was like $25 or more a year.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
Enjoying Life

I have a separate RV policy it covers it all the time whether towing or sitting anywhere. It covers all contents and all exterior add-ons(think awning). The trailer value is stated and will not change unless I chose to lower it when it gets older. Basically it becomes a replacement value policy, so I can buy a new trailer if this one were to be totaled. It is from State Farm and I get a discount from my agent for multi-policy and how long I have been with them. Cost is under $400 a year.
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #7

I would look for a different insurance agent and company. Giving you lot's of bad information.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

TeachTexas, I would really check that State Farm policy over again. I just dropped them because they do not offer "real" replacement value. I had them for over six years for our TT and our cars 35 years. Learned valuable lessons from a camp ground here in Illinois that got hit by several tornados three years ago. Everyone unless their camper was paid off was upside down if they had State Farm. Also, their replacement as explained by several agents was they will provide you with the exact same model and exact same year that was totalled or blue book value which we all know is well below anyone's expectations. Just my experience and a lot of days spent on the phone and speaking to people with State Farm.
soapydonutzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapydonutzs View Post
TeachTexas, I would really check that State Farm policy over again. I just dropped them because they do not offer "real" replacement value. I had them for over six years for our TT and our cars 35 years. Learned valuable lessons from a camp ground here in Illinois that got hit by several tornados three years ago. Everyone unless their camper was paid off was upside down if they had State Farm. Also, their replacement as explained by several agents was they will provide you with the exact same model and exact same year that was totalled or blue book value which we all know is well below anyone's expectations. Just my experience and a lot of days spent on the phone and speaking to people with State Farm.
Why would you expect anything more from any insurance company? Shouldn't you be recompensed for exactly what you lost, and not what you would LIKE to own?

I have coverage that replaces with brand new if loss occurs in, like, the first year or two, I think. But I pay extra for that.

Insurance covers loss only of what you specifically own. That's all. It pays what the lost item is worth.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #10
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapydonutzs View Post
The policy is a declared value policy. They pay what the declared value is and the premium is based on that. It is not a replacement policy which would buy the same or equivalent item. A replacement policy is also not a gap policy in that you could be upside down if your loan balance was more than the value of the unit. Insurance is not a field to be lightly traveled and requires research. There are so many variations on a policy and they also vary by area. Some states have vastly different rules on what insurers can do and what might work in one will not fly in another.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #11

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I spoke with my agent again yesterday, and had her call the underwriter again. She later confirmed what I believed, which is what you have all said. By having an RV policy, I'm covered completely, and do not need to also have the Trailer listed on my auto policy.

She apologized for giving me bad info. To her defense, she doesn't do a lot with RVs and was relying on information she was receiving (or at least what she thought she heard)

All is good now, and I now have a RV policy which should be better than just having it on auto policy alone.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172av8r View Post
Thanks for the input, everyone.

I spoke with my agent again yesterday, and had her call the underwriter again. She later confirmed what I believed, which is what you have all said. By having an RV policy, I'm covered completely, and do not need to also have the Trailer listed on my auto policy.

She apologized for giving me bad info. To her defense, she doesn't do a lot with RVs and was relying on information she was receiving (or at least what she thought she heard)

All is good now, and I now have a RV policy which should be better than just having it on auto policy alone.
I have State Farm and was told what you just heard, not what she first told you.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance