Old 11-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #1

RV Show price???

Starting to look at a different bunkhouse 5th wheel. We don't know if we are sticking with FR or jumping ship to another brand. I really like to stay with a FR product but depends on available floorplans.

With RV shows starting in a couple of months, we plan on looking at many different models at one place.

Are prices better at the shows? Will they honor the price after the show, so I can shop around with different dealers?

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Site Team

In my opinion, show prices aren't any better than what you can negotiate at the dealership.
Both our new trailers were cheaper than any thing we founded at shows.
But both were new last year units that the dealer wanted to get off the lot, to make room for new year models.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
You should be able to negotiate a 30-35% off MSRP regardless. I agree with bikendan, but would add that you have to negotiate to get a good price wherever you go, show or dealer.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 PM   #4

RV Show price???

We got our 2780WS bunkhouse 5er for $35k out the door. Basically paid around $32k plus fees. They had it for $47,990.00 on the lot. Thatís about 33% off MSRP. The shows donít make a difference. Their bottom line is their bottom line show or not. I actually purchased mine the week before a local show here.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:40 AM   #5

I agree with the other posters. We went to the show last February and the "lowest show price" was still $300 above what I purchased ours for later in June. At this point with the internet making a more level playing field for sales, I would say find the dealer that will give you the best post-war service.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:38 AM   #6
Multi-Slacker

At the Pomona show, at least, the units are sold by dealers. The manufacturers support the dealers by discounting to them so they pass it on to you - in theory anyway. We found that many units had inflated prices so they could show a bigger discount. With the exception of some rare units, like Airstream or Dynamax, I believe you are better doing your homework and then going to a lot where they have hungry salespeople. They will take better care of you than the harried folks at a show can.

JMO & YMWV
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Andersen WDH / 2700 lb 2.5" Receiver

CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

We ordered our camper at the Hershey show this past Sept. We picked it up on the 18th of Nov. It was around 36% off MSRP.
jrk341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #8
Prime Member

As said, the show prices really aren't any better than prices you can negotiate any other time. What I like about shows is having so many different RV types and dealers under one roof. I can compare floorplans, prices and anything else across mulitple brands and dealers all in one location. Even if you don't buy at the show, it can give you some great ideas about what's available.

Temporarily Camper-Less
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax

Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
As said, the show prices really aren't any better than prices you can negotiate any other time. What I like about shows is having so many different RV types and dealers under one roof. I can compare floorplans, prices and anything else across mulitple brands and dealers all in one location. Even if you don't buy at the show, it can give you some great ideas about what's available.
This was our thought's exactly.
jrk341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #10

Got around a $11,000 discount buying at the show compared to the deals we tried to get before the show which were around $8000 to $9000 off the sticker. So it did work out in our favor that time.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #11

I bought a wakeboarding boat from a boat show several years ago and got an excellent price. Of course it was the first day of the show and they wanted to get a sale under their belt. I traded up 3 years later and got more money than I bought it for!!

We are really going to see what floorplans are available, but sometimes you find a unicorn and can't pass it up!

Already scratched the Jayco Eagle HTs off the list.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Only one time did show buying work in our favor.
We had two units/dealers (different brands) pitted against each other at a show and they both knew it.
We kept going back and forth (within minutes) until we finally got a better deal than we thought possible.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
I bought a wakeboarding boat from a boat show several years ago and got an excellent price. Of course it was the first day of the show and they wanted to get a sale under their belt. I traded up 3 years later and got more money than I bought it for!!

We are really going to see what floorplans are available, but sometimes you find a unicorn and can't pass it up!

Already scratched the Jayco Eagle HTs off the list.

So before we purchased this FR 5er we had a Jayco 5er. We wanted a smaller less expensive unit because ultimately the 5er will be our ďvacation homeĒ on the river in the next year. We looked at the Eagle HTs because we had awesome luck w our other Jayco and the fit and finish was great. But their HTs feels like the forgotten step child. The price reflects the quality. The ceiling height in the bedroom was horrible and Iím only 5í9Ē and I was bending my knees not to hit the ceiling. Iím super happy with the FR we have now. This is our 3rd FR and our 7th RV in 16 years and donít regret this unit at all.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #14

Go to the shows to get ideas and pick your model, but then research to see what they are selling for. Google your model and you will amazed at the selections and price variation. Each unit has an option sheet that you can fill out and send to different dealerships to get a quote apples for apples. Take it a step further and find the largest dealer in state, and neighboring states, for trailer you are looking at. The larger dealers have better buying powers than smaller dealerships and can discount deeper because they own it for less. In Nevada I dealt with a huge Rockwood dealer in California (3 hours away) and Oregon (7 hours away, but 1 hour from in-laws). My local dealer admitted he could not compete with those guys and made a comment that he didn't know why did how other dealers would sell under cost. That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks that not all dealerships are playing on level playing field. We have several Rv Repair shops that will do warranty work, so not worried along those lines.
LW
Lonewolf2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #15

When I went to the Houston RV Show a few years ago one of the dealers were I had been looking had 20 RV'S at the show and only because I had been looking on their lot I knew the prices and they had upped the prices by $3,000. When I asked then about that they told me that it cost then $20,000 to have the RV'S at the show for the five days. They had me talk to a Forest River Rep who was there and he sold it to me for $1,000 less then their lot price. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #16

We have always gotten the best deals off the lot. By a significant amount...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We have always gotten the best deals off the lot. By a significant amount...........

x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #18
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
The Hershey Show is a Manufacturer Show, not a dealer show, so you can do better. Either way you can be taken advantage of if you let your guard down. 35% below MSRP is where you want to be.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #19
Site Team

For the most part RV shows are marketing hype and high pressure buy it today or else tactics. The best way to go to an RV show is with no money and compare units. Listen to offers. If you show up on the lot the week after the show you can almost always get the same or a better deal and be comfortable you made a decision you will not regret.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #20

33% off is the rule of thumb. Anything around there is fair. Off the lot will always save more money than an ordered unit.
Rusty

lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show