Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

RV Show vs waiting until next year

We're heading to Hershey next week to make a final decision on TT model we're going to pursue. However, I think I have it narrowed down to an Apex Nano.
I originally wanted to buy used, but finding a 2019 Nano is few and far between and the price between the ones available and new aren't that far off. As you all have much more experience in this realm, what are the chances of swinging a deal at the Hershey RV show that beats the winter/spring 2020 model price dip? At least I'm assuming the 2020's would be cheaper as we move into winter and spring.

I've gotten a few "as low as we can go" prices from dealers, and the dealer closest to me said that they'd beat anyone's price during the show. However, I can't help but think the cost might be lower if I wait. Any advice?
HotBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #2

Have you checked Keystone RV Center in Greencastle? I’ve bought 2 Units from them and at least in my case their prices were virtually unbeatable. They go out of their way to make sure they have the lowest prices, at least from my experience. In fact, one of their salesmen challenged me to find a lower price anywhere in the country before I purchased from them. I spent several weeks looking for a lower price and couldn’t come within $1000 of Keystones prices. Again, just my experience. May not hold true with everyone. Good luck in your search for your new camper!
FCFR3762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBacon View Post
I've gotten a few "as low as we can go" prices from dealers, and the dealer closest to me said that they'd beat anyone's price during the show. However, I can't help but think the cost might be lower if I wait. Any advice?
Of course, the longer you wait for the price on a 2019 to drop, the lower it will go. The question you have to ask is: Will I be able to get the one I want?

Show prices are generally pretty good. And of course dealers are always ready to haggle. I'd put a price in your head that is reasonable and fair in your mind and see if they will bite. If not, wait until spring. You just may have to travel to get the unit you want.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #4

I understand Keystone RV will be at the Hersey show. And FROG will be set up with them per another thread.

I also bought my Shamrock from Keystone RV, I also found them to be the best price and lower than RVW out in Ohio.

I don't know if they carry the brand you are looking at, but would give them a gander. I have never bought at the show. i have attended them, but I did not want a unit that had 1000 people traipsing through it no matter how great the deal was.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
Site Team

I've never seen prices any better than you can at the dealerships. When they bring the unsold rigs back, they usually are priced the same as they were at the RV show.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCFR3762 View Post
Have you checked Keystone RV Center in Greencastle?
I've exchanged emails with Derek from Keystone on a specific unit. He told me what their bottom line included (essentially everything), but I never got the actual number from him. I asked if their bottom line was the "sale price" on the website, but have yet to hear back. If so, they definitely have the lowest price so far.

The dealer closest to me (RV Value Mart) has a lower advertised price, but I haven't asked what other fees they will be adding on. The did say that they will beat any price I have in writing during the RV show though.
HotBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #7

Agreed. We were going to wait for the huge show near us in Pomona. Glad we didn't. We got a great price driving to Arizona and there were very few travel trailers at the Pomona show. If you wanted a motorhome, there were hundreds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I've never seen prices any better than you can at the dealerships. When they bring the unsold rigs back, they usually are priced the same as they were at the RV show.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

We purchased our 2017 Microlite DS21 from Derek @ Keystone RV. Not only was it
$3000 to $5000 less than I was finding elsewhere, it had 90% of the available options included. When we decided to buy, the manager offered to give us the WDH free if we could pick it up within a week. He said he needed room for units coming in for the Hershey show.
cd4620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #9

Take a few minutes and put your unit in rvt.com and see if you get any hits.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #10

We have had great success buying our RV's at the Pomona, CA, RV show in October of the year. Most of the models on display are "left-overs" from the previous year's inventory, and many of the dealerships are under pressure to off-load their "left-overs" rather than bringing them back to the dealership.

If you can find what you want at an RV show late in the year, you may find the best deals around.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:49 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Up here in Canada show prices are good and some other deals are available. If you purchase a show unit insist it is closed and locked. Doors and flooring really takes a beating at the shows.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:37 AM   #12

We have ordered ( bought ) units twice while at the Hershey show, we of course did not want a unit that was used as a display in the show and they started with the price at the show which we haggled on and they went less each time or started to let us add options without increasing the price, so you DO NOT have to get a display unit from the show. Remember you WANT to buy you DON"T have to buy, good luck and
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:27 AM   #13

We bought ours back in 2017 at the Hershey show. We ordered it as they didn't have the model we wanted at the show. It was an Apex 249rbs that we bought from Campers Inn.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #14

Rv shows are like Automobile Tent sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBacon View Post
We're heading to Hershey next week to make a final decision on TT model we're going to pursue. However, I think I have it narrowed down to an Apex Nano.
I originally wanted to buy used, but finding a 2019 Nano is few and far between and the price between the ones available and new aren't that far off. As you all have much more experience in this realm, what are the chances of swinging a deal at the Hershey RV show that beats the winter/spring 2020 model price dip? At least I'm assuming the 2020's would be cheaper as we move into winter and spring.

Prior to purchasing our last TT we visited many RV dealers.

OMG what a bunch of BS'ers. We were told this is the best price many times. Even went to Hersey RV show only to find the same TT by the same dealer @ the same price marked as a RV Show Specisl Price.

Visit dealers in your area and look for left over models, that is where you will find you best prices and deals.

Good luck. Its more about feeling good about the dealer you are buying from than a few hundred or a couple thousand dollars. Be sure to buy local if you can.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #15
Fla5er

I would check the internet on RV Trader. We found the Cardinal 3250RL that we wanted through RV Trader at a substantially lower price than anywhere else we looked. The one on RV Trader was listed at 59K. We went to our rv dealer and talked to them. They came in at 60K to match the price. It wasn't an exact price match, but we knew the dealer and trust them. The MSRP for a new Cardinal was at 82K: saved us thousands. They also agreed to install a washer/dryer and install a hitch for our bikes. When buying an rv, especially a new one, remember that YOU are in the driver's seat when negotiating!

The one on RV Trader was a show unit that had been to many shows and I think that they considered it used. In any case, we came out ahead.

By doing this, you may not get the EXACT one you want, but come very close.
Good Luck!!
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #16
Kasual Kamper

Also, expect to travel if you find what you like on RV Trader. It's a great marketplace but sellers are from all over the country. We bought our MicroLite off of RV Trader and had to drive from Connecticut to Maryland to purchase it from a private seller. Got a great deal and a lot of the seller's gear and accessories to go along with it.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #17

I did not find any show prices to be better than dealer offered in the shop; in fact some where higher at the show. Here's how I got my best price and it may be good for you too since you know what you want. I knew the trailer I wanted and a local dealer had it on the floor, but their best price (~22k) was way too high from what my research said. So I emailed several dealers asking what their best price was on the unit. One dealer, who did not have the model I was looking for, said they would order it for me. I got it from them for 18k in two model years (20 vs 18) newer. I ordered in January and took delivery in March.

So the point is, if you know what you want, just email all the dealers in your driving distance and see what they offer. I've also purchased two new cars this way and always had significant savings without ever having to drive all over creation and negotiate.
PudgyPieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show