Old 07-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #1

RV/Travel Trailer renting

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with www.outdooorsy.com? It is a peer to peer RV rental site where you can rent your RV or travel trailer when it is not being used.

I have a lot of reservations about it, but I am curious if anyone has used the service and if so, what are your thoughts?

I found this review on another site: https://thervnomad.com/outdoorsy-review/]

We would be renting out a hybrid travel trailer. My main concern is damage caused by renters. We use the trailer about 3-5 times per year (sometimes more, sometimes less), otherwise it is just sitting in storage. DW has been bugging me to check into renting it out for quite some time, but I have been dragging my feet.

I appreciate any comments. I am mainly looking for constructive feedback, not just "Don't do it!!" type comments, which I am sure is an opinion that a lot of you share.

Thanks!!!

ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

This was recently discussed in another thread, take a look Renting out your RV

frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #3

If you rent your rig out you will have to take the mind set that it is no longer your rig it is your piece of rental equipment that is going to get dirty and at times trashed by folks that don't care about it like you do. If you can do that then it might be a way to recoup some of the cost of having a rig.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #4

Thank you both. I will check out the other thread
Old 07-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

I have a hybrid, and honestly, I wouldn't trust someone to know how to properly close the beds to prevent water incursion. I barely trust myself on this one.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #6

Several times a year I travel with my 183 hybrid with friends. THis is the most basic model with no slides but 3 beds. Although these friends have traveled with me over the course of 3 and 4 years it amazes me that they have so little recollection of what "NEEDS TO HAPPEN" to hitch/unhitch stow the mattresses and fold up the bunks properly. I drain the tanks, level the unit and handle the fridge... not wanting to get anyone else involved.

I would hate to have a novice RENT my simple basic Shamrock 183.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #7

I agree completely with your reservations on the topic. Based on my limited knowledge of Outdoorsy, the only reason I am even considering it is because they seem to have certain policies and protections in place to help alleviate my concerns. I can choose to rent or not rent to certain individuals and they have their own insurance and deposit requirements. I also do my own walk through with the prospective renters beforehand.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has used Outdoorsy or has any familiarity with them.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

I would hate to have a novice RENT my simple basic Shamrock 183.
Thank you for the feedback. Mine is also a 183 (2016 Roo)
Old 07-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Team

No familiarity with Outdoorsy, or renting in general, but I did once run across a site of a local guy who has a dozen or so trailers that he rents out. I was curious so I started poking around his site. Turns out he addresses the "knowing about how to setup/teardown/tow/etc..." by insisting that he delivers and picks up from your site. You rent the site, he drops the trailer on it, sets it all up, shows you how to use it, when you're done he comes, does all the close up, and tows it out of there.

He still has the "they can break something" while using it concerns, but by dropping it off and picking it up, he's at least covered the "The can break something by towing it" concerns.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
No familiarity with Outdoorsy, or renting in general, but I did once run across a site of a local guy who has a dozen or so trailers that he rents out. I was curious so I started poking around his site. Turns out he addresses the "knowing about how to setup/teardown/tow/etc..." by insisting that he delivers and picks up from your site. You rent the site, he drops the trailer on it, sets it all up, shows you how to use it, when you're done he comes, does all the close up, and tows it out of there.

He still has the "they can break something" while using it concerns, but by dropping it off and picking it up, he's at least covered the "The can break something by towing it" concerns.
Brilliant. Our local campground is only a few miles away from an RV dealer. I just mentioned to my husband this weekend that a great business model would be to let a family choose one of several models, then deliver it to their site, and tow away when they were finished. I guess there's nothing new in this world.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Riding down the road your renter blows a tire; it takes out the axle; and he and his family are stranded. He demands another RV to finish his trip and wants you to pay for their hotel stay since his vacation is ruined.

You still need to recover your camper.

Sounds like fun; count me in.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Riding down the road your renter blows a tire; it takes out the axle; and he and his family are stranded. He demands another RV to finish his trip and wants you to pay for their hotel stay since his vacation is ruined.

You still need to recover your camper.

Sounds like fun; count me in.
That's the type of situation that would be handled by the rental company, not me. I don't even think renters get the owners contact information. I would of course have to deal with being without a trailer for a while, which would suck.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
I have a hybrid, and honestly, I wouldn't trust someone to know how to properly close the beds to prevent water incursion. I barely trust myself on this one.
x2!!!!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcobra93 View Post
That's the type of situation that would be handled by the rental company, not me. I don't even think renters get the owners contact information. I would of course have to deal with being without a trailer for a while, which would suck.

What if: The rental company bails on you.
What if: The renters decide you should also share the blame (your registration of the unit is a public record), even if the rental agency is covering, you still have to hassle with getting through the issue.
What if:

To me there are too many down sides and too much worry. You might make some cash but at what cost.

My solution would be to find more ways to get out and use it yourself.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
Lacey's Spring, AL

I think that if you enter this type of 'rent to others' scenario, it should be best considered a 'break even' HOBBY, but not a business, as it's doubtful after all of the hassle that the potential renters will inevitably throw your way during their 'stay', and the amount of fees that the rental company takes from the rental income, that you'd actually do anything but be making time to 'educate' those less RV 'savy', and seeing more and more everyday 'wear and tear' to your own RV.
Probably not the best scenario, though not insurmountable as a business if you choose to go down that 'road'.

My personal experience teaches me everything I need to know. We 'borrowed' a 30' travel trailer from a friend who was trying to sell it. We towed it 200miles to a Florida beach resort. It stormed that night. I did not 'know' to bring in the awning before we went to bed. Short story: awning bent. Returned to owner. Hoped he wouldn't 'know'.... sad.

It's true.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
My personal experience teaches me everything I need to know. We 'borrowed' a 30' travel trailer from a friend who was trying to sell it. We towed it 200miles to a Florida beach resort. It stormed that night. I did not 'know' to bring in the awning before we went to bed. Short story: awning bent. Returned to owner. Hoped he wouldn't 'know'.... sad.

It's true.
You broke his trailer and returned it in that condition without even telling him, much less offering to have it repaired? Wow. Some friend.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:28 AM   #17

Make sure that there is insurance that covers you. It is now a business yours probably won't. your tags will still be on the unit when the police come looking for that hit and run driver. Just the hassle.

Renter falls out the door sues you for $1,000,000 defective slick steps are you covered?

Trailer gets a scrape down the side, the repair always shows, is that ok with you?

We loaned our camper out to family sudden storm takes the awning as they did not know how to operate it (happened to us) Insurance only wanted to give us $200 saying the damage was prorated due to age. Had to go to arbitration. Took a year to get it settled.

Renter spills their beer on the mattress along with other body fluids you find it when you want to go camping......

Renter pulls the brake cable out burns up the magnets and brakes insurance says that is normal wear and tear. Renter hits a curb puts a knot it the tire.

Sure insurance may cover dents and scrapes but the repair will show the battle scars.

Sorry for us the cons outweigh the pros. It would be break even at best. The rental company gets the money without doing the maintenance and general up keep.

Do you want the hassle of emptying your personal stuff from the camper each time or is it ok if dishes, pans, mementos or other additions to the camper go missing. Insurance probably will not cover small items.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #18

Thanks for all of the replies. Those were exactly the responses that I was expecting. I've never been a fan of the idea myself and think it would be more of a headache than it's worth.

I'm a little surprised that I've been unable to find anyone who has used the Outdoorsy service (either as a renter or owner). Based on other research I've done, it seems to be getting more and more popular.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #19
Lacey's Spring, AL

I'm not surprised, as I've full-timed and traveled for years and many, many thousands of miles and haven't heard of it.
I'm not sure where the 'research' is coming from, but yes, certainly 'they' might tell you it's a popular choice, but 'they' are also in the advertising business to make RV owners 'think' that it is. It's doubtful, though, that 'popular' is the right word.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #20

Well, popular is a relative term I guess.

I've found thousands of reviews (positive and negative) on websites that cater to the rental or vacation business. I wanted to find more independent reviews.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer