Old 04-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #201

I was a sailor for 30 years. Then had my own semi and mama and the puppy went with. We love to travel, and so does our Shih Tzu. We have another pup now so hotels/ motels don't fit us,
We enjoy taking our time trying not to do to much in one day.
We are going to a Coast Guard reunion in Reno in two weeks and will do about 250- 300 miles a day. Much better than trucking and trying to make it to the customer.
It's relaxing to us. To quote somebody who I can't recall, "it's how we roll"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Sabre 32 RCTS-6 Platinum.
2002 F350 SD 7.3 Powerstroke.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #202

Haven't read this whole thread,
But out here in the west
Your favorite fishing water, camping spot, hunting camp etc. is nowhere near a motel......
Sure you could tent it cheaper than my TT, or sleep on the ground, but mtn. Nites are pretty nippy.
My TT is a necessity........

Old 05-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #203

Even expensive motels/hotels can have bed bugs! A neighbor brought them home from an interior design conference in Chicago, where she stayed at the hosting hotel.

I like the OP's view, it's a way of life choice. Travel is expensive any way you cut it. If the $$$ aren't too tight, you can make the choice you will enjoy most.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #204

The longer you stay at a camping location, the more the cost swings to favor camping, Rv'ing or what ever. Now your comparing CG rates at what, $30-$40 per night to $100 plus at a decent at best hotel.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #205

We don't avoid hotels to save money. Sure, its the bed-bug thing but also the fact we can bring our dog with us. My sister stayed a a brand new hotel in Universal Florida and got bed bugs. So, OutoftheTent is right. She was told every time you take your luggage to a hotel or cruise, etc, put it in a plastic bag for 24 hours to kill any bugs. The first thing we all do, is throw it on our bed and unpack. Not any more. Love my RV, but granted you will not save a lot of money over hotels.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #206

Malebarbor, my point is once you get to your location, double by return trip those costs are fixed now Sure a two or three day weekend you can probably hotel cheaper, but a week or more my experience leans to the RV. Last Sept. We went to Atlanta and Gatlinburg, TE for 13 days and my total expenses were under $1600. That includes my cost of ownership of my motor home, I.E.loan, registration, insurance and yearly basic maintenance. No 13 day trip at hotels and air or car travel will touch that expense.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #207

I truly do not even think about cost. We have been camping at the same place for 20 years. We are right on the lake, and our site has both sun and woods. No hookups, small campground, so the kids could run wild. Water every couple of sites, bathroom and bathhouse with showers. That's all we need. Our campground is $18 a night plus $9 registration fee. B&B's in the area start at about $250 a night, and you're not outside. We do everything outside, even in the rain. We cook dinners on the fire, put up a lean-to if the weather is really bad, have a great screen house for the same bad weather, and love every minute. No luxury hotel could compare. (Did I mention the loon calls at night, the merganser families, the fledging Merlins, the Bald Eagles, the fresh fish, the campfire at night, the beer in front of the campfire....?) Priceless.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #208

There really isn't a comparison. Usually for us, when we consider sleeping in a motel it would be only when on vacation or out of state at a funeral or something like that. With the camper we can travel to a campground, several nearby, within 45 minutes and stay for a weekend for family time. Nobody is going to do the same on a weekend so close to home. Camping to our family is priceless.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #209

Nobody is going to do the same in a motel on a weekend so close to home.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #210

Nearest "rv resort" is 1 hr away, several times a year me & wifey drag the 5er over there & stay all weekend, no more hotel rooms for us.
Biggest perk: I sleep in my own bed!