Old 06-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #221
1. I am on a first name basis with everyone that has ever sat on our toilet seat. This is important to DW. I have no idea why.

2. Where we go there are no motels. No toilets, no water, no power. Sometimes no pavement. Motelling is not an option for us.

There is a reason these things are called SELF CONTAINED.

In a few weeks we will take our first out of state trip, ever. Round trip from Yosemite to Nashville. We will quite likely spend some of the time in RV parks.

Before we had any RV we went backpacking. Backpacking really teaches you two things:

1. How to conserve water.

2. The value of a nice mattress... priceless.

Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2013 Forest River Solera 24R
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #222
Site Team - Lou
Check out USA -

Can't get cheaper than free...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:15 AM   #223
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
We use to run away from home almost every weekend (daughter and grandson at home), sometimes we would only go 30 minutes from home. sometimes its just to unplug. and get away from the everyday stuff. To me staying in my RV is priceless, I have a comfy bed and chair, I know the place is clean because I cleaned it. I love sitting out by the fire with my little dogs, you can't do that in a hotel.

My friend got bed bugs and brought them home, it cost her over $1000 to get rid of them
We rented a house that happened to come with bedbugs. If you've never dealt with them, consider yourself extremely lucky! Family of 7, they only bit me and the youngest...we thought we were getting eaten up by mosquitoes....I didn't even know bedbugs were real things (sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite...I thought it was just a saying!!!)

Once we figured out it was bedbugs, it took the owners over two months to pay the guy to come heat the house up (and over $3000 for them). Little bit and I were in utter agony, both of us scared to sleep. Unfortunately, someone was living in our TT, so we didn't have that option.

NOT risking bringing home those horrible, horrible creatures is worth every penny extra of the RV lifestyle!!!!
Me, Him, a bunch of kids and cats, one loud-mouthed parrot, and one spoiled rotten Shih Poo

2009 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2014 33' SOB TT
TheDiGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #224
My wife loves having our new dog with us. I travel so hotels are common. Hate the idea of bed bugs. We ran across one at a hotel, they had to come in and debug our luggage, when we came home we removed clothes from luggage and shook everything. Luckily, brought nothing back.
laurajean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #225
Here's my two cents worth:
Our recent trip to the North Rim, Grand Canyon:
Western Cabin, Rim View, $199 per night. That's if you can get one.
Rim View camp spot in the campground, $10 (National Parks Senior Pass Card).
Might be an extreme example, but you can't usually find affordable accommodations and certainly not as nice as our RV's with views like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3390.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	79552  
FR Wildwood 22 RKS
2007 1/2 Dodge 2500, Cummins 6.7
Retirement training completed
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #226
I think a lot of it depends on where you are going and how long you will be gone. Last summer we went to Alaska and were gone over 125 days. I figure just hotel lodging would have cost at least $15000. That savings paid for almost the whole trip in the trailer including fuel to pull it.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #227
RV vs. Motel: Not cheaper!

We usually travel about 3 hrs from home. Fuel $100 each way and $200 for 5 nights full hook up and this is our view. Make our own food and coffee. Same trip in hotel is $1000.00.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1433987978.882600.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	79594

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #228
We are headed to yellowstone friday and camping along the way from Dallas through colorodo etc. The KOA are ridiculously expensive. State parks are the best way to go...We found a few private ones but it shouldnt cost more than $40 a night for a RV to hook up.
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #229
As others have stated, it all depends on your upfront costs, how often and where you stay.

We average 20-25 nights a year as a family closer to 35 nights this season by my projections....I travel a lot for work and have a good handle on hotel costs (most places we camp there are not many hotels anyhow) and if you can get a room for 115 with tax a night your doing alright. Sure you can go red roof, but you might as well sleep in the curb in my opinion. For my family that's $2800 @25 nights not counting the avg cost of meals @35 per day x 3.5 (we have a young one) that's $122.50 per day. Do the math for 25 nights and thats 3,062...sure there is some wiggle room if you only eat fast food over local flavors, but at over 8k per year for the time my family spends traveling...rv travel ROI starts paying back pretty fact two years hotel traveling would have paid for my trailer.

Who am I all costs money and I keep pretending I am saving by doing it this way. I figured I just broke even last year. I just plain like RV ing better. I like my stuff, bed and views I get over the Hampton inn. I hate hotels. The kids sure like it better too. When is the last time your hotel had a playground?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #230
Site Team
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
...When is the last time your hotel had a playground?

When we stayed at the Kalahari in Ohio last year.... But that was a special case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote