Old 06-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Has anyone actually gotten bedbugs or is it just a terrowist rumow to make us use up all the world's fossil fuel.

I have never been afflicted and I travel quite a bit. I do use some precautions like sleeping on top of the covering and keeping stuff off the floor.

Read it on the news all the time, but they are looking for drama and perhaps overstate the problem. OR not?
It is like ST tires made in China, you rarely hear about the good ones.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #62

Although the costs may be about the same, the advantages to having your own little house on the road are countless. A full-size coffee maker, meals in your pajamas, pets, campfires, own bed, sheets and towels, just to name a few! When we travel, our first choice campsites are always state and national parks. The usage fees are very reasonable; however, many do not have full hook ups and they fill up fast. My husband is an amateur photographer and the parks usually get us much closer to the remote areas he wants to photograph, so if we can get into a park, hooray for us. We have not stayed in a commerical campground yet, but whenever we go by them, the RVs/TTs are packed in like sardines with little to no landscaping, which does not look appealing. We'll get to expereince one of those this year since a couple of places we wanted to go there was no park or the park was filled up.

soldanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #63
NELA

We saw a few of those "concrete jungle" type RV parks last year in Pigeon Forge. The RVs were literally packed in there slider to slider and awning edge to awning edge.

Those were the ones *just* off the strip, and right up next to the road. HOW can that be a relaxing atmosphere? I think that would negate the "can't hear the newlyweds on the other side of the wall" advantage to RVing instead of staying in hotels.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
We saw a few of those "concrete jungle" type RV parks last year in Pigeon Forge. The RVs were literally packed in there slider to slider and awning edge to awning edge.

Those were the ones *just* off the strip, and right up next to the road. HOW can that be a relaxing atmosphere? I think that would negate the "can't hear the newlyweds on the other side of the wall" advantage to RVing instead of staying in hotels.
I would be, uncomfortable with such a setting and would do anything to avoid it.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #65
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I would be, uncomfortable with such a setting and would do anything to avoid it.
Sadly, I am not exaggerating. I'd say there was no more than six inches between some of the sliders.

I saw only small patches of grass, like curbside sized. Those RVs; motorhomes, bumper pulls and 5ers, we packed in there like sardines beginning approximately 20 ft. from the road/sidewalk back as far as the eye could see.

That's why I described it as a concrete jungle. Sure, a lot of day trips are taken when in a destination spot like Pigeon Forge, but what about the evening relaxation and night times?

When we saw those RV parks we were SO grateful we opted for the place we stayed; Up A Creek

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #66

After I retired in 2001 and before I bought the Motorhome in 2010, we took several extended road trips. Two were 30 days long. One to San Francisco, Seattle, Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone about 6000 miles. The other to Alaska at about 9000 miles. All were motels and restaurants and driving a 22mpg minivan.

I kept copious notes and calculated the costs carefully. Being careful to manage our hotel costs to as close to $100/day as possible, I calculated that it cost $200/day not including auto cost, depreciation or maintenance.

Then in 2012, we spent 2 months in FL. Stayed a max of 2 weeks at a single place just trying to get used to camping. Here are the numbers.

Miles 2,349 Gas cost $1,233 Gallons 340.5 MPG 6.9 Campgrounds $2,633 Total cost $3,866 Cost/day $65.54

Food was about the same as groceries at home with perhaps a little more eating out as we explored new places.

So, it cost about 1/3 of the cost of road trips in motels and no Wal-Mart's or dry camping involved.

In all of those extended road trips, I can't remember meeting any of my neighbors. In my RV experience, we have made numerous friends and can't wait to get back to the FROG rally to meet up with a few of them.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #67
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post

X2

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Many of the places we camp don't have a motel.
Add in having your own stuff and not living out of a suitcase and
eating your own food as others have mentioned and it's a lifestyle choice.
It's NOT cheaper than a motel- it's so much better!
^^ This!!

I cant take all my toys and the campfire to the motel let alone the kids and friends.........

It's just not the same!!

Happy RVing everyone!!

Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 PM   #69
Oklahoma Proud

We are lake people, and have only camped at lakes. Found out a few years ago that we couldn't get motels as close to the lakes as we would like, or cabins as often as we liked, so that's where the 5ers have come in. Plus when staying in cabins and motels we took so much junk with us we almost needed a trailer to haul it. (We have 3 kids) And it seemed like all we ever did was spend time traveling back and forth to eat and eating.
So this past year it was, either a lake house or a new 5er. After finding our seasonal site we decided on the later. Plus we dont have to mow or landscape.
We've spent 10 nights in the past month in our 5er at the lake, and love it!
So for us its a lot cheaper, and much more convenient!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #70

We went to Disney World a few years ago. I priced it out both ways, driving and staying in a hotel vs driving in the minivan or flying and staying in a Disney hotel. in the end it was a wash! and we took the trailer. and I got to see Stone MTN on the way. I very rarely pay tolls. out east the tolls are bad. I think they actually gouge because of the traffic that flows through there. other than that I enjoy it, even the slight cost increase over staying in a hotel, which I hate!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote