Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post

I think the key in that situation is to do like my folks did. Don't tell them you've got 5.
EXACTLY! lol, that's how my parents did it when we weren't camping... To this day we joke about having to go in in shifts and lay down in the van's benches as he checked in so they didn't see us!

I don't care about the cost. Where else will you get your kids to spend an entire weekend with you?? Priceless!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigDaddy View Post
EXACTLY! lol, that's how my parents did it when we weren't camping... To this day we joke about having to go in in shifts and lay down in the van's benches as he checked in so they didn't see us!

I don't care about the cost. Where else will you get your kids to spend an entire weekend with you?? Priceless!
Oh yes, the 'lay down under the seat' approach. Never had to bother with those at the motels, but we did use it all the time at the drive-in. Back then, it used to be "climb in the back of the station wagon and leave the back seat empty" approach.

On a side note (read: hijack) I miss Drive-Ins. It's a shame my kids will never get that experience around here.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #123

Hotel or Rv well you don't get anything but one night for a hotel and one night = one payment on an rv, you know who slept in your bed in an Rv, you don't get a kitchen usually in a hotel, you have a summer home with an rv where as a hotel you get a night. Could go on and on, short term an RV is not cheaper long term it is and has a lot of benefits you will never see in a Hotel. We don't look at our trailer as anything but a mobile Hotel or summer home. Cheaper or more expensive it's just a frame of mind to an rv'er. My wife will not go to a Hotel if we can go with our trailer. Oh and usually a Hotel is per person where most Rv Parks you can have 6 for the one price.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
... Oh and usually a Hotel is per person where most Rv Parks you can have 6 for the one price.
I usually find the opposite. Must be the places I stay (KOA, Jellystone, etc..). They usually charge per person, but all my nights in hotels I've only ever been charged a flat rate for a room.

That aside, I still prefer camping over hotels any day. If I could swing it I'd be bringing my trailer when I travel for work, but in those cases either I'm flying to the client site, or if I'm close enough to drive I'm also close enough to go home after work too.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #125

Never camped as a kid-Dad died when I was 8. Camped as Boyscout in teen years. DW and I camped with truck camper in 1970's BC (before children). When we traveled with the kids we moteled it and/or stayed with relatives. We researched full time rving for 3 years prior to retiring and now have fulltimed for almost 2 years. We love it and have been to and have seen amazing, beautiful, and funny things, and have met and become friends with really nice people. We are so glad we have chosen this and we enjoy being FROGS.
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I usually find the opposite. Must be the places I stay (KOA, Jellystone, etc..). They usually charge per person, but all my nights in hotels I've only ever been charged a flat rate for a room.

That aside, I still prefer camping over hotels any day. If I could swing it I'd be bringing my trailer when I travel for work, but in those cases either I'm flying to the client site, or if I'm close enough to drive I'm also close enough to go home after work too.
Koa's I've been to say this Our clean, level sites, located in the heart of the campground with few trees. Some sites have a beautiful view of the sunset & fishing pond. These sites have driveway stone and grass.
Canandaigua / Rochester KOA

• Reserve: 800-562-0533
  • Info: 585-398-3582

Pull-thru, Full hookups, 30 amp, WiFi

Our clean, level sites, located in the heart of the campground with few trees. Some sites have a beautiful view of the sunset & fishing pond. These sites have driveway stone and grass.
Up to 8 people.

RV Description

• Pull Thru
  • 30 Amps
  • Full Hookups

RV Site Feature

• Wi Fi

Up to 8 people.
All the hotels always said 2 adults If you have kids its plus.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #127

Before we got the trailer we never did anything but HS football and occasional cheap meal out. I mean cheap. Now we do camp at least once every other month. Everybody together(well mostly) somebody is always doing something else. I am patiently waiting on fish/camp... that's the reason I wanted the trailer.

Only problem I have is where to park stuff....

2 boats (bass and fishing)
1 35ft 5er (AOL)
1 18ft utility trailer(I have a 16ft at a friends)
1 jet ski
1 ram 2500
1 Journey
1 Hyundai(of some sort)

You think you have problems?
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
...Up to 8 people.

That's usually just the max allowed per site, but at the time of booking you often see something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1411057419.278756.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	63017

This was the KOA in Emmett, MI. When we stayed we paid significantly less for our 2 adults and 2 kids under 5 than my brother in law did for his 2 adults and 3 kids over 6. And we have the same size 29' travel trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post

I always thought a bass boat was a fishing boat.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #130
Tinkerer and Putterer

We threw in a camping membership that included CGs for places we like to visit like the Outer Banks. Staying a week out there during peak season can easily exceed 2K including lodging and food. If you go nuts and rent a beach house the price can get extreme (7500+). Staying at a CG costs us 250.00 for the week we're ahead 1750.00. Now you can look at that as 1750.00 saved or 1750.00 available for other things. Somehow it always seems to be the latter...

Oh and for those of us who have pets that those beach houses don't allow, you also save the cost of boarding the pups. You just have to deal with a little less available space on the bed
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #131

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
And motel coffee sucks, that makes RVing better. Not sure about cheaper, but way better. And we all want the best, don't we.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Not only does the coffee suck, but the teas they offer are terrible, messy to make, and having to drink out of the cardboard cup just makes it taste even worse . Hubby and I love to make our morning cup of Keurig (Italian roast for him, lemon tea for me. Bonus, I brew my tea in the Keurig without an aftertaste of coffee. ) We can sit at our little bistro table and chairs and plan out our day or our future retirement. When we bring a grandkid or two with us, we have the added benefit of hot cocoa and marshmallows. Try to find that in an average hotel room.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Not only does the coffee suck, but the teas they offer are terrible, messy to make, and having to drink out of the cardboard cup just makes it taste even worse . Hubby and I love to make our morning cup of Keurig (Italian roast for him, lemon tea for me. Bonus, I brew my tea in the Keurig without an aftertaste of coffee. ) We can sit at our little bistro table and chairs and plan out our day or our future retirement. When we bring a grandkid or two with us, we have the added benefit of hot cocoa and marshmallows. Try to find that in an average hotel room.
SO SO true. French press for me and my wife. Along with good conversation.
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
I always thought a bass boat was a fishing boat.

It's a hand me down from my dad. A panfish boat. Last registered in '02. Used very little before that.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 09-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #134

Quote:
Before we got the trailer we never did anything but HS football and occasional cheap meal out. I mean cheap. Now we do camp at least once every other month. Everybody together(well mostly) somebody is always doing something else. I am patiently waiting on fish/camp... that's the reason I wanted the trailer.

Only problem I have is where to park stuff....

1 35ft 5er (AOL)
1 18ft utility trailer(I have a 16ft at a friends)
1 jet ski
1 ram 2500
1 Journey
1 Hyundai(of some sort)

You think you have problems?
You almost have as much to park & store as I do & I've cut back DW would like me to get ride of more

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #135

Ohh. I forgot. I got and old JD 50(in the bushes) and an old IHC 454 tractor too and a 30x60 shop/shed.

No wonder my wife hates me. Lol

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 09-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #136

Quote:
Ohh. I forgot. I got and old JD 50(in the bushes) and an old IHC 454 tractor too and a 30x60 shop/shed.

No wonder my wife hates me. Lol

Know the feeling...........DW keeps telling me we are getting older don't need so much stuff...........

Still much rather camp than stay in a motel........regardless of which is cheaper....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #137

DW and I just got back from a 13 day 12 night trip to Atlanta and back to Gatlinburg, TN from Buffalo, NY area. About 1,960 driven miles. Cost of fuel from my driveway back to it was $898.55. Cost for four different campgrounds 344.73. Total $1,243.28. Went to Atl. for a wedding. Friend from Buffalo flew Delta at $350 R/T and stayed at his son's for free. Other home towners stayed at Hampton's and host hotel Marriot at an average of $125 per night. So, for DW and I to fly to Atlanta it would of cost us about $700. Five nights at one of the hotels would of added around $625 more. Total $1325! This doesn't even get into the convenience of your own bed, shower, toilet, food and morning coffee etc.. It also does not cover the pure enjoyment we had camping in Cove Lake State Park in TN, or visiting Gatlinburg and Smokey Mountain National Park with ending the trip at Geneva on the Lake, Geneva, OH and its wine country. Even with adding the cost of ownership at $28 a day ($364) we no less broke even or a little ahead and "we were camping!".
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
DW and I just got back from a 13 day 12 night trip to Atlanta and back to Gatlinburg, TN from Buffalo, NY area. About 1,960 driven miles. Cost of fuel from my driveway back to it was $898.55. Cost for four different campgrounds 344.73. Total $1,243.28. Went to Atl. for a wedding. Friend from Buffalo flew Delta at $350 R/T and stayed at his son's for free. Other home towners stayed at Hampton's and host hotel Marriot at an average of $125 per night. So, for DW and I to fly to Atlanta it would of cost us about $700. Five nights at one of the hotels would of added around $625 more. Total $1325! This doesn't even get into the convenience of your own bed, shower, toilet, food and morning coffee etc.. It also does not cover the pure enjoyment we had camping in Cove Lake State Park in TN, or visiting Gatlinburg and Smokey Mountain National Park with ending the trip at Geneva on the Lake, Geneva, OH and its wine country. Even with adding the cost of ownership at $28 a day ($364) we no less broke even or a little ahead and "we were camping!".
and you didn't have the hassle of an airport. You got to miss that joy. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #139

gljurczyk, flying is really becoming a tiresome issue now. No less the upward moving pricing as more and more airlines merge. Every time DW and I see a story on TV or talk to someone about the pitfalls of flying, we look at each other and say almost in unison "aren't you glad we have the motor home!".
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #140

Quote:
gljurczyk, flying is really becoming a tiresome issue now. No less the upward moving pricing as more and more airlines merge.
The worst part is that every time I fly, I find they've moved the seats another 1/4" closer together. A few more flights and my knees will be on my chest!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote