Old 07-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Peace of mind is the sale. Yes it cost. My local RV dealer will not do everything on the annual maintenance sheet. He won't touch oils dealing with diesels. That means restrictions in the areas where you may live. Totally agree on the "time will tell".

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 AM   #12

There are so many 'outs' for this kind of third party warranty that they are better off being used for ***** wipe....
once you see what is required for 'regular maintenance', and if you miss ONE, you are done. Cost and frequency of this regular maintance is more than value of warranty.
If you are prepared to take your rig in every 6 months just to have roof seams checked, go for it...

Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #13

You are 100% right. Coverage is paid for by all of the maintenance costs and miss one and you lose.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM   #14

Well, I agree with everyone. I not only have the "FREE" warranty forever, I also purchased the dealer extended warranty. Being new to camping I fell for them all, hopefully if I have issues something will be covered. I will have my camper one year in December,it will be taken to the dealer for state inspection along with any required maintenance. Can't wait to get that bill. I will play their game as long as feasible , having a camper with 3 slides kinda scared me so I figure I could be covered. Time will tell.

Chuck " still in Va "
Old 07-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #15

Chuck... dealer warranty is a different animal and usually worth the extension.... Usually!! If they are reputable.

But go in for roof inspection at 6 months plus one day then claim water damage down the road you will be voided.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #16

If I had to choose to pay for yearly inspections/maintenance at a RV dealer vs buying the extended warranty, I would choose the latter of the two. I clean and condition my roof every quarter and while I am up there I may add some dicor sealant if needed. I can grease/pack my own wheel bearings far cheaper than a dealership would charge. If anyone has slight mechanical knowledge they can do the inspections and light maintenance the dealer would do....but for free!
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #17

I agree, you have to be mindful of their time tables, and I am sure that every excuse will be used to avoid paying for repairs. I have only had 1 warranty issue with my dealer so far it involved the coupler on the TT. It has been covered on another post, and I can only say that my dealer was OUTSTANDING. It was trouble free and without hassles. Which is what it is supposed to be, but one usually doesn't expect good service. We have grown to expect the worse, and we are surprised and sometimes shocked when the opposite happens. I am finding that travel trailers can be costly like the boats I have owned in the past. I could have avoided some pitfalls had I found this forum before purchasing. I would have gone into the purchase much more informed.

Chuck "still in Va "
Old 08-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #18

This forever warranty will cost you a minimum of $400 a year, because of the required preventive maintenance that has to be done by a certified rv mechanic

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #19

I just got a letter stating that i have 60 days to take my TT in for regular maintains to keep the RV WARRANTY FOREVER valid. I called the dealer it's going to cost me $337. My TT is a 2014 model. Is it worth it or should i let it be canceled?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #20

We purchased a 2014 Forest River Sierra 346 RET and got the RV warranty forever. It requires you to have the unit inspected every year. It covers all major things in the RV.
We also bought a $2300 extended warranty for 5 years that covers things that it doesn't cover. Like slide motors, tracks, sliding floor motors, factory installed TV's and awning motor, factory leveling jacks, etc. Take it to the dealer with no warranty
and it will be thousands!

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD CC 6.6 Turbo Diesel LTZ 4x4

Days camped in 2014 44
Sierra346 RET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty