Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #21
DDC

I think it is a scam, but thats just my opinion.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #22

Got one with my new camper. When our dealer mentioned it, I just gave a kind of "really?" Look. Nothing is free and nothing is forever. I'll get the yearly maintenance schedule priced by my local repair center, but It doesn't look like the warranty covers enough to make the price tag worth it.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #23

Warranty

Thank you for your information Sierra346 RET... We would like to know what warranty company you happen to go with for the extra 2,300 to cover the stuff that the RV Forever plan does not cover. We are thinking of doing the same thing to cover our RV for the next 5 years too.
BobbleheadTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #24

Any company that refers to a "hot water heater" can't be to legit.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #25

RV Warrant...Forever?

Exactly! Smells kinda skunky. Wonder what Clark Howard would have to say about this one? Anybody? Maybe this warranty applies to anyone taking a grand tour of Afghanistan with a camel toad, but certainly...not here!

Why not just chunk some money into the bank instead of giving it to them and make SURE that you perform all the required PM's on your unit at the required
intervals?? THAT'S usually the best warranty in my book. If "something" does happen than hopefully it will be of smaller concern and coverable by the nest egg in your bank? Boy Scout motto applies...
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #26

RV Warranty Forever - Experiences?

Since we received our notice that our "RV Warranty Forever" annual maintenance needed to be completed, I decided to talk with my local RV repair center, to get his thoughts. One thing he noted in what's not covered is failure due to "normal wear and tear." That is an out for pretty much everything.
He gave me a "guesstimate" of about $300-$400, depending on if there was resealing work to be done. He said he would be happy to do the work, but was a bit skeptical of the warranty.
The other thing I noticed was that it seemed like it was set up to be guaranteed money for the performing dealer, but the work being completed doesn't have anything to do with most of the things people have major issues with (slide/AC). There must be an out for them to cover something, like the slide out, if they don't require you to document preventative maintenance performed on it.

We decided the warranty will only be available to us until we need it. No thanks.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #27

Any warranty company is selling policies to make a return on equity. Has very little to do with the customer other than: qualifying unit; required maintenance ( only dealer performance and a detailed receipt are generally acceptable proof).
Warranty companies are rated by AM Best as to financial soundness. They are basically an insurance plan.
Your warranty is good as long as YOU follow the program to the letter, document all services, retain receipts AND MOST IMPORTANT, the ability of the provider to continue to sell renewals and new policies to keep from a deficit cash flow which MAY result in financial failure.
An RV dealer generally participates in sales and receives a commission to cut costs to the provider of direct customer solicitation AT OR AFTER the point of purchase.
It is the responsibility of the buyer to know what they are committing to at point of purchase. Some states have a right of recision, often known as a cooling off period, which has various ranges of time depending on statutes enacted.
Some warranty companies are VERY STRONG financially. Some not!
Do not rely on anyone to tell YOU who they are and financial well being AND CLAIMS PAYOUT RATES.
Do your due diligence!!
In the 80's economic crash, many companies with great initial intentions became insolvent. This was not just warranty companies but dealers and other supporting sales businesses.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #28

We also received the glory-glory-hallelujiah spiel about the RV Forever Warranty, and then 10 months later received the letter to have the high $ maintenance done to keep the warranty alive. We let it die.

DH can do all of the work that the dealer service tech can do, but unless we had a receipt to prove we paid the high $ for the dealer service, the warranty company wasn't happy. I'm not here to make them happy.

The issues we had with our RV were dealt with in the first year of the warranty. Anything that comes up now will be up to us to repair or pay to have repaired. The cost/value figure wasn't high enough for me to bother with giving away my money.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I think it is a scam, but thats just my opinion.
X2

Mine came with the "warranty forever" deal too. I bought the extended year from FR for 150, figured that was cheap enough just in case. The dealer indicated it was approx 200 for the yearly "inspection" which leaves a big ? mark of, just exactly what are you going to do for $200?...look around for what you can charge me for methinks!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #30

I suspect that "warranty forever" is a "product" put together by rv dealers for rv dealers. Sounds like it's structured more like an insurance product than a warranty. So, a given rv dealer "gives" you a forever warranty, but requires certain high dollar maintenance inspections be performed by a qualified shop. 9 times out of 10, folks will carry it back to where they bought it. How many rv' does a dealer sell in a given year, so he can "give" you a warranty, so you will bring it back to him for service once or twice a year at $200 a pop. Sounds like the dealer is setting up a nice passive income stream to me. I wonder who the underwriter is... Bernie Madoff maybe?.....jus sayin'
Old 08-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #31
Site Team

Got my letter and inquired about cost for the inspection. Min cost will be about $350 but the gotcha is the "correct as required" ( at additional cost ) on many items. I am sure that no matter how new the grease is in my wheel bearings, it "will require $20-$40 of grease". They quoted 1hr to inspect roof. Not sure how you spend an hour on the roof of a 28ft TT. I clean and inspect my roof after each trip. Can't see how this is a good deal for anyone except the dealer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #32

Roof issue to be aware of

I have minimal complaints on our 2015 Silverback 33rl.
BUT here is something ALL CREEKERS NEED TO KNOW AND WATCH FOR!
I keep my rv at a resort in N Georgia mountains. After a violent thunderstorm night, i checked my slides before closing them as I always close them because my unit has cathederal slides and no toppers fit!
REGARDLESS: here is WHAT to check and SERVICE TECH RECOMMENDATION: near the roof where the two rubber seals come together, vertical and horizontal, when the slides close, the rubber seals are pulled IN and then POP BACK OUT, as they should. BUT, the top corner of the slide comes from the factory with Eternabond tape on that section to save the roof membrane from damage. Over TIME, the tape gets loosened at the ends from the in/out process. Exactly what happened to mine.
Here is the FIX:
Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #33

Sorry: fix: where tape is loose and glue is not holding, peel back and CAREFULLY TRIM EXCESS. Wipe clean area with ALCOHOL. Eye size for tape replacement and trim off the roll. Test patch for fit BEFORE REMOVING ADHESIVE STRIP. One SHOT AND YOU ARE DONE. Cannot be removed and re done so be careful. Use Eternabond tape. Last lubricate in and out of those rubber seals and the top corner of the slide so it minimizes the friction force. Lastly, be happy!!
Old 09-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #34

I will say that back in 2010 we bought a used 2008 MH with 8000 miles on it.. We got snookered into buying a 4 year extended service plan and had one leaky seal in 4 years.. I dont even want to say how much that plan cost but it was a waste.. If you have any mechanical ability dont pay for one.. Its like flushing money down the crapper..

I do my own service work since I was a auto mechanic and also aircraft mechanic and we will get our new MH in November and I plan to take care of it as long as I physically can.. The place we are buying from has a "for life policy" also that they can sell to someone else..

Also keep in mind that for this kind of coverage to work all the repairs have to be documented and performed by a RV facility.. So on top of the thousands you paid for the coverage you will also have a fee from the RV shop every year for another $500 approx..
RVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #35

Just to chime in briefly... There are two discussions going on with this thread... The "RV Warranty Forever" warranty (as stated in the title) and other service warranties. I can see how those who have never heard of the RV Warranty Forever would confuse the title to mean all extended warranties. But this is specific to the one company that has it.
In my case, as with others I presume, my out-the-door price with the "forever warranty" was still under any other competitors price without, so that's why I purchased a unit that came with said warranty. I would have never paid an additional fee for it.
All that being said, I have yet to read where anyone has actually had something that was covered under this warranty.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeohbee View Post
Paying large maintenance fees for a FREE warranty is exactly the issue. Just a way to get something free. Pay and pay and pay and then free coverage is very expensive.
Is it a large maintainence fee if it is something that SHOULD be done yearly?

Doesn't seem like it to me. Seems like a way to reinforce preventive maintenance on your investment and if something fails, you're covered.

If it is about $50 - $100 ok, but $300 - $400 nah, I'll stick with the PM and get a 1 yr extended warranty from the manufacturer/up fitter.

http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com/maintenance/
Xhevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #37
Airmech

Its a large maintenance fee if its something that you can do yourself but are forced to do at a dealer. That is a large maintenance fee. I can do all the work myself as can anyone else that trys. Its not hard work. If you can to the annual maintenance yourself and still get the forever warranty, then it would be a good deal.
smittyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #38

I just had my required Forever Warranty maintenance done and the cost was $199.99. Having the wheel bearings checked and lubed is something I would pay to have done anyway. Checking the furnace and water heater is probably a good idea, but not something I would necessarily pay to have done every year. The REALLY curious part of this required maintenance is haveing the roof checked and sealed as needed; yet the warranty doesn't cover water damage from a leaking roof! Clearly, it's a dealer program to generate money from the service department. Is it worth the $200 a year true cost to the owner? Maybe, if you were going to pay for most of the service anyway. If you are a do it yourself person; maybe not. After all, all this "warranty" really covers is the running gear and appliances; all low failure and/or low repair cost items.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty