Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #1

RV's with PC's

Wouldn't it be nice if all RV's come equipped with PC's. Personal preference a Mac, but IBM will do.

Buffett buys $10.7-billion stake in IBM

Buffett buys $10.7-billion stake in IBM - The Globe and Mail

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

As much as I use PC's, both Windows based and Apple OS, I have to say that this is a horrible idea. First it would be built as cheaply as possible; with no upgrade path; All on a chip; and throw away. If mine came with one it would be sitting on the lawn next to the trash. I would prefer my own laptop and a custom tailored base unit to my spec for movies and games. They would NEVER spend what would be needed for a unit that would make me happy (and neither would you most likely).

Thanks for putting this in the proper forum! Fire away!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Oh, and PS...

Never much did care what the mighty WB does with OPM (Other Peoples Money).

None of it is mine.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
As much as I use PC's, both Windows based and Apple OS, I have to say that this is a horrible idea. First it would be built as cheaply as possible; with no upgrade path; All on a chip; and throw away. If mine came with one it would be sitting on the lawn next to the trash.

Thanks for putting this in the proper forum! Fire away!

Are you speaking from experience and is that what you did with other cheaply built components of your camper; throw them to the trash. I just thought it was an interesting acquisition from Warren and also interesting to see if he incorporates the computer technology with his Forest River product.

PS: I would readily accept a PC with my camper purchase.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Perhaps "the trash" is a bit harsh.
The "whole house" water filter is actually on a shelf in the garage. The speakers will join them one day soon.

Just like zero percent financing, I would rather take the cash please.
If they ever decide to force a computer down your throat, you should have the option of getting cash back instead, IMHO, so you can buy what you really need.

Yes, just like everyone on here I also have hard held opinions, especially about computers and operating systems.

I have been tinkering with them since 1981 and raised a Microsoft Software Engineer and Apple Software architect who is intimately familiar with both OS. He is started at Microsoft (Redmond) upon graduation from college and is currently back at Microsoft Redmond again after tours working at Apple in Cupertino and Yahoo in Seattle.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Perhaps "the trash" is a bit harsh.
The "whole house" water filter is actually on a shelf in the garage. The speakers will join them one day soon.

Just like zero percent financing, I would rather take the cash please.
If they ever decide to force a computer down your throat, you should have the option of getting cash back instead, IMHO, so you can buy what you really need.

Yes, just like everyone on here I also have hard held opinions, especially about computers and operating systems.

I have been tinkering with them since 1981 and raised a Microsoft Software Engineer and Apple Software architect who is intimately familiar with both OS. He is started at Microsoft (Redmond) upon graduation from college and is currently back at Microsoft Redmond again after tours working at Apple in Cupertino and Yahoo in Seattle.

You are obviously a very knowledgeable man surrounded by other knowledgeable people.. I value your opinion as I do others on this forum. I didn't expect this type of discussion when I posted this thread, but as you well know, everyone has an opinion and expect anything.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #7

Most people nowadays have their own PC's and carry them when "traveling" whether by camper or auto. So this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But there may be others out there that feel the same way as you do. Maybe FR should offer it as an option for people that want to purchase one that way.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

To be fair, I suppose offering it as an "option" would not hurt anything. Making it a "mandatory option" (talk about an oxymoron!) would be a big mistake, I think.

Seriously, they offer built in brake controllers now in just about every truck as an option (and pre-wire the rest for after market controllers).

Perhaps a built in WIFI hot-spot would be good, but then which service to offer? If you offer a Verizon unit, you eliminate all AT&T buyers as potential customers for your line.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

You know, as I re-read your OP, I am not too sure what you were looking for in a reply. Do you have stock in IBM and looking to boost share price? Or maybe Apple? I just figured you wanted to explore the feasibility of a built in computer.

Except when we are watching a movie off the hard drive, normally the DW is watching TV while I work or play on the PC and vice versa. Having the display tied up in order to do email and surf, would put a crimp on indoor activities on a rainy day.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
JAYCO Representative

Talking

There's definitely been discussion of adding tech upgrades to RVs, but by the time they would be inventoried properly, they would be obsolete. Probably makes more sense to make sure the RV is computer friendly, with easy access to power and desk/table space.

Doesn't mean there isn't room to dream of a day when your RV will "talk" to your laptop, cell phone, or portable wifi device...

Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote