Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #1

RV's with PC's

Wouldn't it be nice if all RV's come equipped with PC's. Personal preference a Mac, but IBM will do.

Buffett buys $10.7-billion stake in IBM

Buffett buys $10.7-billion stake in IBM - The Globe and Mail
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

As much as I use PC's, both Windows based and Apple OS, I have to say that this is a horrible idea. First it would be built as cheaply as possible; with no upgrade path; All on a chip; and throw away. If mine came with one it would be sitting on the lawn next to the trash. I would prefer my own laptop and a custom tailored base unit to my spec for movies and games. They would NEVER spend what would be needed for a unit that would make me happy (and neither would you most likely).

Thanks for putting this in the proper forum! Fire away!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Oh, and PS...

Never much did care what the mighty WB does with OPM (Other Peoples Money).

None of it is mine.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
As much as I use PC's, both Windows based and Apple OS, I have to say that this is a horrible idea. First it would be built as cheaply as possible; with no upgrade path; All on a chip; and throw away. If mine came with one it would be sitting on the lawn next to the trash.

Thanks for putting this in the proper forum! Fire away!

Are you speaking from experience and is that what you did with other cheaply built components of your camper; throw them to the trash. I just thought it was an interesting acquisition from Warren and also interesting to see if he incorporates the computer technology with his Forest River product.

PS: I would readily accept a PC with my camper purchase.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 11-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Perhaps "the trash" is a bit harsh.
The "whole house" water filter is actually on a shelf in the garage. The speakers will join them one day soon.

Just like zero percent financing, I would rather take the cash please.
If they ever decide to force a computer down your throat, you should have the option of getting cash back instead, IMHO, so you can buy what you really need.

Yes, just like everyone on here I also have hard held opinions, especially about computers and operating systems.

I have been tinkering with them since 1981 and raised a Microsoft Software Engineer and Apple Software architect who is intimately familiar with both OS. He is started at Microsoft (Redmond) upon graduation from college and is currently back at Microsoft Redmond again after tours working at Apple in Cupertino and Yahoo in Seattle.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Perhaps "the trash" is a bit harsh.
The "whole house" water filter is actually on a shelf in the garage. The speakers will join them one day soon.

Just like zero percent financing, I would rather take the cash please.
If they ever decide to force a computer down your throat, you should have the option of getting cash back instead, IMHO, so you can buy what you really need.

Yes, just like everyone on here I also have hard held opinions, especially about computers and operating systems.

I have been tinkering with them since 1981 and raised a Microsoft Software Engineer and Apple Software architect who is intimately familiar with both OS. He is started at Microsoft (Redmond) upon graduation from college and is currently back at Microsoft Redmond again after tours working at Apple in Cupertino and Yahoo in Seattle.

You are obviously a very knowledgeable man surrounded by other knowledgeable people.. I value your opinion as I do others on this forum. I didn't expect this type of discussion when I posted this thread, but as you well know, everyone has an opinion and expect anything.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 11-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #7

Most people nowadays have their own PC's and carry them when "traveling" whether by camper or auto. So this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But there may be others out there that feel the same way as you do. Maybe FR should offer it as an option for people that want to purchase one that way.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

To be fair, I suppose offering it as an "option" would not hurt anything. Making it a "mandatory option" (talk about an oxymoron!) would be a big mistake, I think.

Seriously, they offer built in brake controllers now in just about every truck as an option (and pre-wire the rest for after market controllers).

Perhaps a built in WIFI hot-spot would be good, but then which service to offer? If you offer a Verizon unit, you eliminate all AT&T buyers as potential customers for your line.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

You know, as I re-read your OP, I am not too sure what you were looking for in a reply. Do you have stock in IBM and looking to boost share price? Or maybe Apple? I just figured you wanted to explore the feasibility of a built in computer.

Except when we are watching a movie off the hard drive, normally the DW is watching TV while I work or play on the PC and vice versa. Having the display tied up in order to do email and surf, would put a crimp on indoor activities on a rainy day.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
JAYCO Representative

Talking

There's definitely been discussion of adding tech upgrades to RVs, but by the time they would be inventoried properly, they would be obsolete. Probably makes more sense to make sure the RV is computer friendly, with easy access to power and desk/table space.

Doesn't mean there isn't room to dream of a day when your RV will "talk" to your laptop, cell phone, or portable wifi device...
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #11

I would prefer a "spot" for a pc at best.

Like a tower sized compartment with cooling and power. Trimmed holes for the cabling, a keyboard drawer and monitor spot would be great. Toss in the PC of your choice. Make it all secure-able for driving and it's good to go. I'm not so sure many would sacrifice the permanent space in a TT for it though.

But, my personal preference is my choice of laptop with external storage. Change it whenever I want, use it where ever I feel.

I don't think a "built in" unit would ever really be competitive in the computer segment. As mentioned, by the time is was designed, acquired and integrated into the TT, it would be a couple generations behind and just a dissatisfier after purchase....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Sticky Velcro holds everything in place just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooperstown Sep 2009 202.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	9202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooperstown Sep 2009 201.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	9203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooperstown Sep 2009 206.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	9204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooperstown Sep 2009 211.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	9205  
Old 11-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #13

Clarification: My original post was more tongue in cheek than anything. Since Warren Buffet owns FR and now has shares in IBM, I was thinking that some discussion on the merits of marrying the two would be interesting. Personnally, when I camp, most of my time is taken up with beer, hot dogs and naps.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

No worry Terry. I thought it had plenty of merit!
Always willing to talk camping and computers.

Oh, and antique or obsolete military firearms; oh, and reloading for same; oh and stamp collecting; oh and coin collecting; oh and investing; oh and just about anything else...
Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

When I camp, I am like the new Chevy Commercial, not yet, not yet, not yet, Now, When they finally get no signal on the cell phone. ( I am a Ford Guy). I learned to camp without electricity, or running water. A bath was in a 40 degree mountain stream. Water was carried to the campsite, The nearest telephone was 4 miles away down a dirt road. There wasn't a Wal Mart for 100 miles or more, and 50 miles to the nearest hospital. No radio, No television, only 3 toilet facilities for 45 camp sites. We liked it so well that dad bought property only a few miles away. We still go there, on dad's place, where we have electric and sewer, but still no television, no wi fi, no cell phone, but we are only half mile from the pay phone, on a paved road.

That is what camping is about, but that was in another thread a while back,.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #16

The funny thing about this thread is that IBM doesn't even make PCs anymore.
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #17

Yup, IBM is no longer in business of building PC's or laptops ..... Thinkpad's are a thing of the past. Now you get lenovo branded machines which are slowly drifting away from what thinkpad used to be ...So WB must be predicting that IBM shares will bring in some money to him in the future ....

I always carry a few laptops with me all the time, so, I hope they only make incorporating a PC into the campers an option if any manufacturer ever comes up with the idea.

Before a computer, maybe they should consider incorporating a media player ...... now that would be really handy ! Something like the WD Live TV plus or equivalent ....
Old 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #18

Adding tech to the RV's? They could start with putting LED lights inside and out. And a better sensor system, Or solar panels and 6 volt batteries. Or a wireless security cam /recorder system.
Until they do that, leave the computers alone. I carry my own, anyway. Anything they put in would be obsolete way before installation, not to mention bare bones. Better would be a gift certificate for 2-4 hundred dollars toward a computer. Then one could pick his own poison. Besides, last year using my smart phone, to check email, navigate, locate lower-cost fuel, check weather, and traffic, I rarely turned on the computer.
Put the money into something worthwhile.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
( I am a Ford Guy). I learned to camp without electricity, or running water. A bath was in a 40 degree mountain stream. Water was carried to the campsite, The nearest telephone was 4 miles away down a dirt road. There wasn't a Wal Mart for 100 miles or more, and 50 miles to the nearest hospital. No radio, No television, only 3 toilet facilities for 45 camp sites. We liked it so well that dad bought property only a few miles away. We still go there, on dad's place, where we have electric and sewer, but still no television, no wi fi, no cell phone, but we are only half mile from the pay phone, on a paved road.

That is what camping is about, but that was in another thread a while back,.
Must be in West Texas sounds like the place were I grew up (except for the mountain stream) Wal Mart, wi fi and cell phone hadn't been thought of and TV was only in Buck Rogers. Now we are lost without our our Lab top & GPS
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #20

After doing some research, reading on here, and reading elsewhere on line, I bought a boxee box to supplement my entertainment options. THAT I think would be a great addition to the RV - stock from the factory.
phrogpilot73 is offline   Reply With Quote