Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #1

Smile RVWholeSalers.com Review ?

I am about to order a Sandpiper 380BH5 from RVWholesalers.com but before I do I wanted to know if anyone else has used them, and what your experience was.

Thanks,
Richard
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #2

Richard,

Congrats on taking the plunge to a new RV. Also, welcome to the forum. If you use the search bar at the top and just type RVWholesalers in the search box, you'll get a ton of threads that have touched on it. As with anything, there is probably a mix of both positive and negative comments and sometimes on forums you will get that.

I have not purchased an RV from them, alot of people on here have though and alot of people were very happy from what I have read.

I did purchase a hitch from them, ordered it on a Friday morning and had it delivered Monday with the standard shipping. I can tell you, I had no issues.

I can also tell you that user DDurnell is on this forum. He is, I believe the President of RVW. I have seen some posts in my time here and he goes out of his way to make things better.

Hope that helps, even though I didn't buy from them in terms of a major RV purchase, it doesn't appear to be a bad thing. I'm certainly going to give them a look when I'm ready.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Infractee

I have purchased two new campers from them in the last 4 years, overall both have been an okay experience. If you are looking for personalized, will dote on you salespeople, do not buy from RVW. They sell a lot of units and their salesperson turnover is crazy high. For example, the first camper we ordered and 4 weeks later I had heard nothing after being told by our salesperson we would hear from them in a few weeks.
So I called and found out my salesperson was no longer there..
Our newest camper, our sales guy made it thru the 3 month wait for the build and about 2 weeks after we got it I called and asked for him to ask about purchasing something else and guess what... so another salesman calls me a few weeks later and tells me he is taking over for the guy no longer there, so I email him back a week later, asking about a different couch I am interested in, a week later I heard nuthin so I try again and still nuthin so I call and find out he is no longer there... LOL.

They have the process down, just do not expect personalized service. To save that kind of money you have to forgo some luxuries.. LOL.
I would and will do it again if they sell the brand/model I am looking for next time around.

Also, I got a hell of a deal on the shipping thru uship.com instead of using them for the shipping, saved over $700!
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

I bought an XLR 29hfs from them in May this year; it wasnt a perfect experience. Ditto what the other member said about employee turn over with them. You will get an Ohio title... You will pay to have it transferred to your state and after much deliberation i will say this is screwed up but it isn't Durnell's fault. It won't cost you more sales tax... If you are careful and get EVERYTHING in writing... Options... Weights and capacities... Everything! Make sure they account for all you pay down (if financing). I had a recall / factory safety issue with the axles and with the Forest River warranty lady Diane was very helpful getting it taken care of... She even called RVW / Durnell's to expedite the process. To find a local FR dealer who would do the work required me doing the leg work. I am not sure how much stock i would put in their claim of hundreds of service centers or people around the country; there might be, but can or will they do the work required... And depending how willing a dealer local to you is... It could be a crap-shoot. RV dealers are not like car dealers in that, they dont have to work on them to sell them. The issue with dealers or people in general today is that they don't call back or follow up. But saying all that, the saving I got at Durnell's... I would more than likely buy from them again. Allow or expect the delivery date not to be met and how much you need to pay in addition to the initial amount could change. Again.... Get it all in writing. BTW I picked mine up in Ohio. My temp tag was expired before I got the Ohio title, but didn't cause a big problem. The last thing I would tell you to do is to do a thorough PDI... I did this and Durnell's people will bend over backward for you... Make sure you run everything and both know how it all works and make sure it does before signing. Given the lack of quality control is these days things will go wrong, that is part of the joy of owning an RV; you will get to fix the minor things and make other things better.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Here are several threads on them.

neg review

positive review

here's how they dealt with a negative situation.

another positive

Lots more reviews, mostly positive if you do a forum search.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

Thanks for posting the threads. With any business, anywhere there are good and bad experiences. I look forward to making a deal with RVW. However, so far in the process I have spoke to two salesman and both tried the scare tactic with me of "hurry, this price expires at midnight". Sorry, no it doesn't. I have also heard, "we need your deposit before we give you the sales contract and before you apply for financing"! Hum.... sorry, no you don't.

If they want my business, they will show me the agreement and let me apply for financing before I make a deposit to build the trailer.

Oh there was one more... "To get this price, you must finance with us". Really? Is that even legal?

Still the same, I hope to get a fair price, fair interest rate and good experience. I just need to keep dodging the sales tactics.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
Cyber Phrenologist

Yes the place runs at full tilt and in a wild frenzy.

They are honest good people, and they encourage you to get everything they promise you in writing. I showed up at closing with a stack of emails outlining all we had agreed to and things that were promised. We only came to one sticky point but when I produced an email showing what was promised (in this case an extra battery to sweeten the deal) they smiled, said OK and had the battery installed in a few minutes.

Nice people, but crazy busy, so one guy doesn't always know/understand what another guy promised/said/quoted. Thus, have who ever makes a verbal promise write it down in an email.

In and out in a hurry.

I would avoid US Bank, however. Bring your own financing.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #8

Check out the dealer reviews subforum
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

The president of RVwholesalers (Dave Durrell) is a forum member and has taken a personal interest to help solve issues affecting members.

I would not hesitate to buy from them if they carried the brand I wanted.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6959;

Oh there was one more... "To get this price, you must finance with us". Really? Is that even legal?

Richard, of course this is legal. Every new car I've ever purchased offered additional savings for financing with the manufacturer. I've purchased 2 campers from RVW in the past 3 years and have my 3rd ordered as we speak. My in laws and mother also purchased campers from them during that time. They have always taken care of us both before and after the sale. They are a high volume dealer, so some patience might be in order. Also, be willing to call back a time or two if necessary as these guys aren't sitting around and twiddling their thumbs here. My experience has been that I've gotten MUCH better customer service than I would have gotten from most of the dozen or so local dealers I've talked with. Most of them act like they are doing you a favor by selling you a camper! I highly recommend RVW and am confident you'll be getting a great price and that you'll be taken care of in the future should an issue arise.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The president of RVwholesalers (Dave Durrell) is a forum member and has taken a personal interest to help solve issues affecting members.

X2
Old 12-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #12

I've purchased 2 travel trailers. The first from a local dealer and my most recent from RVW. I received far better service and price with RVW. They have called me three times since my purchase 6 months ago to make sure we were happy and to inquire if we needed warranty work or anything else. We happened to need warranty work and it has been very smooth working with RVW warranty department. Couldn't be happier with RVW and will purchase our next RV from them without second thoughts
ChrisPlus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

X3
ChrisPlus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
Senior Moment

Purchased our 8289 Rockwood in March of 2013. Sales process and pick up went smoothly. Price made it worth the drive from Texas to Ohio. I can't say anyone contacted me after the sale to see how things were , I did have a problem with one of the air conditioners and new one was replaced by a local rv repair shop under warranty. That was a Coleman warranty issue not forest river. Then about 5 months ago was reading about all the problems with the dents in the front caps, checked mine and sure enough had the problem. Contacted RVW warranty, they asked for photos which I sent right away. After me calling back a few times was told forest river had authorized the repair. Then the wait really started. They were to find someone to do the repair , after not hearing for some time I started calling them. Finally said they found someone close to the Dallas / Fort Worth area. Well after another few weeks wait and me having to follow up was told that repair facility backed out. Now another month goes by and they find another shop. I contact them and was told yes they will do it but will be first of the year.
My biggest issue is this process started about 3- 4 months ago, I had to initiate a lot of the calls , My 2nd year warranty runs out in March of 2016 . As far as them having a great network of warranty shops it doesn't appear to be the case. My fingers are crossed and I will start calling first of January to keep the ball rolling.

Sorry for the long response. But if you need warranty work be prepared to be very proactive. They do respond but only after me calling and emailing a lot.
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockport View Post
. As far as them having a great network of warranty shops it doesn't appear to be the case. My fingers are crossed and I will start calling first of January to keep the ball rolling.

Sorry for the long response. But if you need warranty work be prepared to be very proactive. They do respond but only after me calling and emailing a lot.
The issue with the front dent caps is quite unique though. I would cut RVW a bit of slack on that one...yes perhaps they could done a bit of a better job keeping lines of communication open with you....but FR is more to blame than anyone on this issue. It seems to be only dealers with customers with issues that are being made aware of this problem. FR has changed their mind a couple times along the way as yo how they were going to handle this situation. Some customers have been given a green light to have repairs done, others have been told their units don't appear to be bad enough "yet". It's a FR screw up and they cut corners in production. They should just recall them all, and make it right, regardless f they need it or not.
So, I wouldn't be too quick to write RVW off over this particular issue.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
The issue with the front dent caps is quite unique though. I would cut RVW a bit of slack on that one...yes perhaps they could done a bit of a better job keeping lines of communication open with you....but FR is more to blame than anyone on this issue. It seems to be only dealers with customers with issues that are being made aware of this problem. FR has changed their mind a couple times along the way as yo how they were going to handle this situation. Some customers have been given a green light to have repairs done, others have been told their units don't appear to be bad enough "yet". It's a FR screw up and they cut corners in production. They should just recall them all, and make it right, regardless f they need it or not.
So, I wouldn't be too quick to write RVW off over this particular issue.
Let me be a little clearer for those who misunderstood the jest of my comment. I don't blame RVW for the dent in the cap, obviously that's a manufacturing issue. What should be taken from my comments are that the networks of repair facilities may be less than advertised. And they were definitely slow to follow up on the issue and to date have not checked to see if repair was done or not. (It has not )
Finally I would not write RVW off , but you should be aware that warranty issues may be problematic, that's not to say they wouldn't be the same if you bought down the street.

Best of luck on your purchase.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #17

[QUOTE=rockport;754857]Purchased our 8289 Rockwood in March of 2013. .... Then about 5 months ago was reading about all the problems with the dents in the front caps, checked mine and sure enough had the problem...

Unfortunate Rockport, we have to be the squeaky wheel; that is the way service goes these days. Not so many years ago we didn't go home at night unless all out of service troubles were finished... it took a good reason to leave one out of service (phone company); now if you get your service fixed in a few days consider yourself lucky. Troubles were first to be dispatched; now new orders are not, because, when service goes in, it starts producing revenue, while a trouble only costs money.

Back to the dents... on a very hot day with the sun beating on the front cap it was getting very, very hot and I think I saw some unevenness or slight buckling. I fashioned a cover on the end of my covered rv port to keep it out of the sun from now on.

My question for you is can you explain the dents more and do you have photos to share? Thanks, Clint

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #18
Senior Moment

[QUOTE=WolfWhistle;758775]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockport View Post
Purchased our 8289 Rockwood in March of 2013. .... Then about 5 months ago was reading about all the problems with the dents in the front caps, checked mine and sure enough had the problem...

Unfortunate Rockport, we have to be the squeaky wheel; that is the way service goes these days. Not so many years ago we didn't go home at night unless all out of service troubles were finished... it took a good reason to leave one out of service (phone company); now if you get your service fixed in a few days consider yourself lucky. Troubles were first to be dispatched; now new orders are not, because, when service goes in, it starts producing revenue, while a trouble only costs money.

Back to the dents... on a very hot day with the sun beating on the front cap it was getting very, very hot and I think I saw some unevenness or slight buckling. I fashioned a cover on the end of my covered rv port to keep it out of the sun from now on.

My question for you is can you explain the dents more and do you have photos to share? Thanks, Clint
Here's a couple of pictures. Just below where front cap meets the roofline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1420386433470.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	68134   Click image for larger version

Name:	1420386468190.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	68135