Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Minnesotan

Sabre Option Wifi Ranger

I am considering ordering a Sabre RV. Listed on the order sheet is a Wifi Ranger. I asked the dealer, but hey are not familiar with it and haven't had anyone order it. Is it a wifi router or booster? I am a consultant. I frequently telecommute and would want to be able to do so from the RV. So if this is something I might want, I don't want to miss out.
kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #2

https://www.wifiranger.com/solutions-rvwifi-sky

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

It looks to be a WiFi bridge. A device that connects to park WiFi and provides its own network address translation connection to authorized local users. Like your dealer, the web site is rather short on the options and features. There are several configurations, so my bet is that it is the simplest unit and comes without any thought put into the install, such as the location that will provide the best pick up from the outside WiFi or signal throughout the camper. Or just comes in a box for you to deal with. Good luck in getting the dealer to give you any reliable information. Or even FR for that matter. But let us know if you do get some good help.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Forest River Accessories

Here is some additional information on the Wi-Fi Ranger:

RV Networking

Keeping You Online

With the range and capability needed to reach otherwise weak WiFi signals, the WiFiRanger Sky is well suited for RVs and Motorhomes. One of the challenges for receiving a strong WiFi signal in RV Parks and Campgrounds is the construction of your RV itself. However, with the outdoor-rated WiFiRanger Sky, which can be mounted on the roof, this problem is alleviated, while also getting the powerful WiFi router above the rooftops of other nearby RVs. Thisprovides reliable WiFi from RV Parks and Hotspots. Enjoy having all of your devices online through the WiFiRanger Sky as the secure go-between.

Blazing Speed

Get Things Done

The WiFiRanger Sky has been designed to meet the challenging needs of avid RVers, providing an all-WiFi network inside and outside of the RV. In developing the WiFiRanger Sky, the goal has been to provide the product that just works, and works fast. From productivity to entertainment, the WiFiRanger Sky is an excellent outdoor-rated WiFi router for getting and staying online when at RV Parks and Campgrounds. Enjoy both unshackled speed and welcome user-friendliness from the WiFiRanger Sky.

Robust Security

Protect Your Network

Have the security needed to combat intruders, keeping your information and devices safer. The WiFiRanger Sky comes standard with a robust built-in firewall and WPA2 256bit AES encryption, ensuring that your WiFi network is kept private. The WiFiRanger Sky also has an optional feature to broadcast a public WiFi signal so that you can share the internet with friends or neighbors who you don't quite trust with having access to your private network. This feature segregates the public network from your private network, againkeeping your information and devices safe.

WirelessHardwareWarrantyBand2.4GHzCasePolymerSatisfaction30-DayAntennaIntegrated 2x2 MIMOWaterproofYesAs-Advertised1-YearThroughputUp to 300MbpsUV-RatedYesHardware1-YearRadio26dBm / 400mWVibration-RatedYesStandards802.11 b / g / nLAN1x (POE Model)Broadcasts1x Private / 1x PublicDimensions115x200x50mmEncryptionWPA2 Personal 256bitTemperatures-10C ~ +70CRangeLongPower Input12VDCPower Use4W Max Consumption
And a link to download the brochure: http://www.mito-oem.com/media/pdf/WI...f066a614c912fd
FRAcessories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I use JEFA Tech WIFI repeater in my TT. You attach a 2 ft antenna out side and run the antenna wire to the wireless router inside. I have it strapped to my tv antenna. They claim it has 1/2 mile line of site range. Been good so far for us and saved on our cell phone data usage.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaschultz View Post
I am considering ordering a Sabre RV. Listed on the order sheet is a Wifi Ranger. I asked the dealer, but hey are not familiar with it and haven't had anyone order it. Is it a wifi router or booster? I am a consultant. I frequently telecommute and would want to be able to do so from the RV. So if this is something I might want, I don't want to miss out.
I'm a programmer/consultant that works from my RV, too.

I would pay for this option if it had been offered when I bought my RV.

That said- be mindful that most campground WiFi pretty much sucks. It's generally slow (some even throttle; one throttled based on usage- the more you used, the slower it got).

I use a dedicated hotspot device for cellular data as my primary source of Internet. When it was through my phone, my usage wasn't too bad. Now that it's a dedicated hotspot, we're going through about a gig every other day. It's easy to forget that you're on it.

Cell coverage can be spotty, though- even in the heavily saturated east coast. I'm looking now for cell boosters.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAcessories View Post
Enjoy both unshackled speed ...
This is one of the areas that the material is light on explanation. Since it connects to the park WiFi, it cannot "unshackle" the network limitations. In fact on a throttled network using all one's devices through a single WiFi connection can make connection speeds worse. So don't expect it to allow each member of a family of four to be able to watch Netflix on a personal device.

The WiFi ranger claims a "signal-boosting" technology, but there is simply no way to "boost" the signal from the park transmitter. A device can only be a better receiver, but the WiFi ranger is short on detail on what exactly it is better than. Better than an inside antenna no doubt, but that is hardy the advanced technology alluded to.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

Oh, welcome to the forum, kaschultz.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Minnesotan

Thanks

Thank you for all the comments and welcome. The cost of the wifi ranger is $397. I'm leaning towards getting it and understand the limitations. Although I do not intend to rely solely on the CG wifi available.
kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew

can an "aftermarket" wifi router be had for less money with the same or better features? i dont know diddly about routers or techno stuff, but i do know that most stuff installed in an rv is usually not the most top notch stuff available (even tho they charge like it is).

best buy might be a better place to look and compare specs.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

It's $170 plus shipping. It kept us on WIFI at Goshen at the far corner of the CG. Everybody around us needed to use their personal hot spot for internet.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
can an "aftermarket" wifi router be had for less money with the same or better features?
This is not primarily a router. It is designed to connect to external WiFi and rebroadcast it on a local secure network. This type of system has benefits and drawbacks and is certainly useful in some circumstances. Particularly where the signal and bandwidth are strong and one is required to pay for WiFi access by the device. People use this type of system in hotel rooms to connect multiple devices to paid WiFi. It can also be helpful in cases of a weaker signal by picking it up outside, before it is attenuated by the walls of the camper. It would just be nice if the manufacturer's web site was a bit more forthcoming about the product and had some technical information available rather than just the "look at all the cupholders" marketing speak.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 11-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
Selective Curmudgeon

Much useful information here. Regarding Factory-Installed or Retro-Fit, my choice would be factory-installed almost any day. When I discovered that I could have my local Ford dealer install a Ford Brake Controller seamlessly into my dash and tie it into my in-dash display, the knee-mounted after-market option was abandoned hurriedly.

Regarding WiFi, and I will soon be very dependent upon RV WiFi - as the sign said, "My internet went down the other day, I had to talk to the family. They seem like nice people." - I'd like to add my two cents' worth.

The $170 JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs suggested by elind appears a great option and works well. What I would do, though, as the picture in their web site shows the kit to be nothing more than a Hi-Gain antenna and a Wireless N Range Extender, is shop on Amazon.com.

This is the RV "router"... actually a Wireless N Range Extender and Access Point that will take the Park's wireless signal and boost it, creating a (secured) wireless network of its own...
Amazon.com: Edimax EW-7228APn 150Mbps 11n Wireless Range Extender/Access Point with 5 Port Switch: Computers & Accessories

The antenna which, if you scroll down to the comments section, one reviewer claims excellent results in an RV, additionally saying, "Very easy to mount to an exisiting RV TV swivel antenna."....
Amazon.com: Alfa Hi-Gain Omni-Directional Outdoor 15dBi Antenna - 2.4/2.5GHz 4.8-Feet long Weatherproof antenna With N Female Connector: Electronics

You'll need this cable to connect the two...
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT24PT3-RP-SMA-Pigtail-Cable/dp/B005HIJCB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385688442&sr=8-1&keywords=TP-LINK+TL-ANT24PT3+3m%2F10ft+N+Male+to+RP-SMA+Male+Pigtail+Cable

The Amazon system is $25 plus $50 plus $15 plus shipping = about half price. But if I had the choice to go factory installed, I'm sure I would.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #14

We had a great discussion about WIFI a few days ago in the Forums...here is the link:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nna-51380.html
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabre