Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #1

Salesperson Fib or Truth

Hi all,

We are placing an order for a FR Wildwood 32bhds this coming Monday.

While talking with a sales agent he questioned why I wanted a propane/electric fridge over a residential.

I explained we will be without electric hook up for some of the usage, but at night I have the ability to run a generator. The sales agent stated the FR REP, at the recent RV show, informed him the newest resi fridges in the FR units will run four days on the camper stock battery!!

I was informed by the parts sales agent they last about 8 hours.

Anyone hear of a upgraded resi?

thanks
Babaluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How do you know when a salesperson is lying?... their lips are moving.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #3

It COULD run four days on a stock battery....IF it was already chilled down AND you never opened the door AND you didn't run anything else AND you don't mind replacing batteries every year.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

Simple math!

Find the usage amps or watts per hour. Usually a single battery will run them 4-5 hours continuously. A 12 volt batter has about 50 amps(540 watts)available. Start guessing from there. If you are traveling across the south west in the summer the battery will last 3-5 hours.

In Canada a lot longer. Has to do with the temperature in the Rv.

If you plan to boondock, get lots of batteries. On propane a couple of months. However, the battery is also used.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
Senior Senior Member

It may not be fair in all cases to say they are "lying". However, it is nearly impossible to get them to say "I don't know". Most egregious is when they send someone home with way too must rig for their tow vehicle.
I would put my money on what others here have said.
Verdict? FIB, definitely.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
USAF Ret

Ask the sales rep what type of camper they have and how they use it. Very insightful.
RandyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #7

I don't know how long mine will run. But at 4 six-volt batteries, mine has never lost a degree after up to 8 hours of traveling, and then once more than 4 more hours before I plugged up. No loss. Now, that's traveling with not opening it. BUT, it's also traveling where the a/c is not on and it's hot inside where the refrig is.

If it lasts longer than that, I'll probably never know.

But if I boondocked a lot, I'd still get the dual version.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #8

Something like a Dometic 12v compressor fridge might be able to go days. The one in my commercial truck does, but it is a little smaller than most in a TT. As a side note, a basic solar setup charging the batteries would more than keep batts up enough for a 12v fridge or a gas one. But not the typical residential.

Still a mystery why these sales guys stuck on residential units, when there’s great 12v variable compressor fridges that are far more efficient and offer same interior space.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #9

There is yet and another technical change in the wind in RV appliances. I noticed this while attending the winter home shows. It is the same kind if change that came 3 to 4 years ago, with the LED lighting in the RV. Efficiency/weight is the driver, the I see the refrigerator is following suit. Noticed this year their where two brand names whom was offering the all battery packages. LG and another off brand that I was not familiar with. Both claimed high efficiency and less weight. Did notice that units equipped with these two brand names was also equipped with dual batteries. So I too saw a major change coming, it has not cycled all models yet, but coming I'm sure. Just think of the weight, cost and space saving one would enjoy with the change. I would expect this change to be so large the dual fuel refrigerator will be gone in the next 3 years. Probably on the cutting edge with exactly what it will take to run the refrigerator, but make sure you start with a dual battery system. And they will only improve the systems with experience. Guessing what the salesman in this case is what he has been told should happen.
bswanney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Fib or not????

From a famous movie a few years back....the classic line was...

“SHOW ME THE MONEY”

Ask the sales rep to “show me that in writing” and then ask him what are the terms of that guarantee?

Now, let’s see what he has to say.....

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #11

It really is overdue that more efficient battery powered units become more common. Battery powered compressor fridges are very efficient and the better ones can operate up to 30 degrees off level. They cool down quicker than gas units, no issues with leaving them running 24/7 even moving, at gas station, etc. Lower risk of any fire issue. Also can eliminate the exterior venting and prevent other issues. Time to get into the 21st Century.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
It may not be fair in all cases to say they are "lying". However, it is nearly impossible to get them to say "I don't know". Most egregious is when they send someone home with way too must rig for their tow vehicle.
I would put my money on what others here have said.
Verdict? FIB, definitely.
In my many years of sales I never told anyone anything other than fact. If I was asked something I didn't now for an answer I always told them I didn't know but would find out the answer for them. Many times I was asked a question when the person asking already new the correct answer and was just setting a trap to see what I would say. Made many new friends that way and lasting relationships.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I don't know how long mine will run. But at 4 six-volt batteries, mine has never lost a degree after up to 8 hours of traveling, and then once more than 4 more hours before I plugged up. No loss. Now, that's traveling with not opening it. BUT, it's also traveling where the a/c is not on and it's hot inside where the refrig is.

If it lasts longer than that, I'll probably never know.

But if I boondocked a lot, I'd still get the dual version.
I run with the inverter on. I understand the truck is charging the camper batteries while traveling, which in turn are supplying 12 volts to the inverter which supplies 120 volts to the refrigerator. My point being that you should never lose a degree in the refrigerator while traveling if you have the inverter on. We very seldom boondock and love the residential fridge in ours.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
In my many years of sales I never told anyone anything other than fact. If I was asked something I didn't now for an answer I always told them I didn't know but would find out the answer for them. Many times I was asked a question when the person asking already new the correct answer and was just setting a trap to see what I would say. Made many new friends that way and lasting relationships.

Good for you.

BTW... I did say nearly impossible
Old 03-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #15
Bene Gesserit Rule

We have a 3-way, LPG, 12v and mains. Best way ever, all options are covered.

I don't know why anyone needs a domestic type fridge. RV fridges come in all sizes and why limit yourself to mains powered only? There may/will be lots of camping in places you can't run a generator, so what do you do then?
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #16

"impossible" is another word never to be used. The difficult takes a little time and the impossible a little longer.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #17

When I bought my current TT I had doubts that salesman owned an RV from his responses to some of my questions.
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #18

My Dometic 4 door runs on electric 98% of the time but I'm very happy for the propane option when needed.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
We have a 3-way, LPG, 12v and mains. Best way ever, all options are covered.

I don't know why anyone needs a domestic type fridge. RV fridges come in all sizes and why limit yourself to mains powered only? There may/will be lots of camping in places you can't run a generator, so what do you do then?
No there won't.

LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 03-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #20

Actually..........thinking more.........yeah, there ARE a lot of places we can't run our generator. All of them.

We don't have one.

FROG AR-0019-242