Old 08-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

Sell Your RV vs Trading In

Have you erver tried selling your RV on your own? What has worked for you? CL? RVtrader? Dealer consignment? RVT? Or have you found something else?

-Rich

45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:28 PM   #2

I would've taken a huge loss trading mine in. That being said, I out it on rtv and had no hits for 5 days so I threw it on rvtrader. Had a family contact me within 12 hrs and they drove 3 hrs to come see it and ended up buying it for $500 less than my (inflated) asking price.
Once you make the first ad, its simple to copy it to other sites. Definately dont waste the free options, but you'll get the most visibility on rvtrader.
Eric

hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
Site Team

CL for selling my vehicles and RVs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #4

Know your market.

I'm glad we traded, if anybody is interested in a 2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3650 RL with 8k MorRyde IS axles, 5500 Onan and more, priced right in mint condition, hugging the dealer's lot for a little over a year.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:58 AM   #5

The dealer needs to make a profit on your trade in. You have to decide if its worth the time compared to letting the dealer have that amount of profit instead of you.

I know what I always do! I prefer to keep a portion of that profit.

Not everyone has it in their genes/experience to do that. I do so it's an easy decision.
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:22 AM   #6

My parents just downsized from a 40' class A diesel pusher to a 33 foot class C gas unit. They took thier old class A, a 2004 winnebago vectra 40 footer to thier local dealer to get trade in value. I will say this, the coach was immaculate, and the dealer offered them a ridiculously low trade in on it. They opted to sell it themselves. They made $18,000 MORE selling it themselves on rv trader than the dealer was willing to give them, and they sold it in less than a week.
poriggity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:45 AM   #7
Site Team

when we bought our new TT last year, the dealer only offered $4000 trade in value for our 2007 HTT.
sold it on CL for twice that!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #8
NH Maple Maker

Sell it yourself. I sold my last TT on craigslist in less than 4 hours. I figured out what it was worth and what I wanted to get for it then asked a price that was higher than that. The buyer offered $100 less than what I wanted but flashed cash. I said "sold" and it was a done deal.

When dealing with craigslist shoppers don't give in to the ones that want you to drop the price without looking at it. If they won't come to look they weren't going to buy anyway.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #9

I have sold 4 trailers privately. The trick is to start advertising 10 days before a long weekend. List it at the right price on the services of your choice and it will be gone before the long weekend.
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #10

CL Worked For Us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45RPM View Post
Have you erver tried selling your RV on your own? What has worked for you? CL? RVtrader? Dealer consignment? RVT? Or have you found something else?

-Rich
Two years ago, we were ready to upgrade to our Rockwood w/slides from a Wildwood w/o slides. Dealers were only offering us 8K. Listed ours on CL at 12.9K. Third looker bought it for 12.5K less than six weeks after listing it (late January). Second looker came back wanting to buy it for 12.9K the next day.

Russhd1997 is right - don't waste time entertaining reduced offers on the phone. They'll just ask you to drop it more when/if they show up. The buyer showed up with "inspectors" (husband and son) who went over our Wildwood with a fine-toothed comb. We had made sure the trailer was pristine inside and outside--unlike the condition of used trailers shown by many dealers and other individuals trying to sell their used TT. We offered all the documents and service history of the TT as well.

Would definitely use CL again to sell a TT!

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #11

We have sold 3 units ourselves. First was to a friend, then one on local CL, then one on local FB buy and sell. All sold within 10 days.

We also built a personal webpage with lots of pics and details to direct serious lookers to.

And I agree with a prior poster that timing is important.

I don't agree with another post that was concerned about the dealer having to make his profit from your trade. Unless you just like being charitable and/or the art of the deal
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #12

I've sold 3 different RV's, a Allegro Bus diesel pusher, a Winnebago ERA class B, and a small travel trailer. It took some effort and time to advertise them, answer questions by phone and e-mail, show them to potential buyers, etc. It was, however, well worth my time and effort as I sold them for considerably more money than I would have received by trading them in. I'm retired now so I have the time required to sell them myself.
When I was still working, I used the trade-in approach as my my time and availability was much more limited. Good luck in whichever avenue you decide to take.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #13

I think a lot depends on what area you live in and what type of RV you’re selling. I have a relative who is selling a 2002 Monaco Windsor on Craig’s List and while they have had some serious lookers, they have had more scammers and idiots than anything else. At the present time they are pretty disgusted with the selling process. Their asking price is $4000 below the average retail price of their model on NADA.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #14

had a 230BH Freedom Express, listed it on Craig's list and had 3 hits within 2 hours...sold the next day to the first hit. Cashiers check in hand, for the asking price.
HAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #15

Recently sold my 2017 Micro Lite 19FD on Craigslist and made 4,000 more than what the dealership wanted to offer me on trade. Sold it in less than a week to the first person that looked at it. Not saying those results are typical but I had very good luck selling it myself.
FCFR3762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I think a lot depends on what area you live in and what type of RV you’re selling. I have a relative who is selling a 2002 Monaco Windsor on Craig’s List and while they have had some serious lookers, they have had more scammers and idiots than anything else. At the present time they are pretty disgusted with the selling process. Their asking price is $4000 below the average retail price of their model on NADA.
X2 I have never had any luck selling anything on CL. We live over an hour from any large city and no one seems to want to come to us. Our area has high unemployment. (Was up to over 20% before everyone moved away).

Your location and price point have a whole lot to do with it.

Here you would never sell a high end RV....... our local dealer only carries RVs that sell for under 35K so if you had a 50K RV it would not sell here.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #17
Canadian Member

While I’m in Canada, my results have been similar to other posters. I sold our previous Roo hybrid on Kijiji (our equivalent to Craigslist) for $4500 more than a dealer offered me on a trade-in. It took about a month to sell it. If it makes any difference, we were buying a used TT not new, but I figure they still want to make around $4000 on any trades they take in.

You will get scammers contacting you but insist on dealing in person and getting payment in a form you’re comfortable trusting.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #18
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

You can get what you want doing it either way. Trading is "easier", you pay less sales tax and you don't have to take strangers onto your property and into your (old) RV. Trading can be much better than selling outright but you have to be a very good negotiator to get the best deal. I am a State Certified Negotiator and do deals all day long. If you know what you're doing, you can get a killer deal on a new vehicle when having a trade vehicle to use as a bargaining chip.

As I've said many times here, don't get wound around the axle about how much the dealer says they are giving you in trade. That is a very flexible number. If you tell them up front that you don't care what they give you in trade, you only care about the amount of check you have to write for the new rig, you take away their power. And I only deal in Out The Door pricing, which also takes away their ability to tack on things at the end of the deal.

But you have to do your homework, know what you want (new) and know what it should cost as well as what you are willing to pay. All easy to do if you are smart and patient.
2012 Jayco X23B Hybrid
2009 R-Vision C243S Hybrid
2006 Coleman Bayside PUP
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #19
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
You can get what you want doing it either way. Trading is "easier", you pay less sales tax and you don't have to take strangers onto your property and into your (old) RV. Trading can be much better than selling outright but you have to be a very good negotiator to get the best deal. I am a State Certified Negotiator and do deals all day long. If you know what you're doing, you can get a killer deal on a new vehicle when having a trade vehicle to use as a bargaining chip.

As I've said many times here, don't get wound around the axle about how much the dealer says they are giving you in trade. That is a very flexible number. If you tell them up front that you don't care what they give you in trade, you only care about the amount of check you have to write for the new rig, you take away their power. And I only deal in Out The Door pricing, which also takes away their ability to tack on things at the end of the deal.

But you have to do your homework, know what you want (new) and know what it should cost as well as what you are willing to pay. All easy to do if you are smart and patient.
What is a “State Certified Negotiator”?

Maybe there is a large margin to negotiate with on a new trailer but I bought a used trailer. I doubt there’s as much room to negotiate on a lower-priced used unit.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #20
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
What is a “State Certified Negotiator”?

Maybe there is a large margin to negotiate with on a new trailer but I bought a used trailer. I doubt there’s as much room to negotiate on a lower-priced used unit.

I work for the government and have responsibility for negotiating large contracts. To be able to negotiate $1 million and above contracts, there is an intense training and test to pass for Certification and then requirements for additional training and testing for renewal every two years. Oh yes, there is plenty of room to negotiate for used, lower priced trailers!!

2012 Jayco X23B Hybrid
2009 R-Vision C243S Hybrid
2006 Coleman Bayside PUP
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote