Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Ontario
Posts: 139
Selling Canadian RV in US

We have a Georgetown and are considering going to a 5th wheel. We are currently in the US and given its a bigger market were thinking of possibly selling ( or trading in ) the mh here. We orginally bought it new in NY state and were given export paperwork for Canadian customs so we could licence it at home.I'm assuming there's similar type paperwork involved to "Americanize" it again . Is there anyone out there that has experience with this. Due to US Govt't shutdown there doesn't seem to be much point in contacting US customs or border security for answers right now

Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Summit Township
Posts: 425
I Would give a call to a notary near the Canadian border in NY and then the same to a notary close to the boarder in Canada. Hopefully their info matches as how to handle that type of sale.

2019 Hemisphere 272RL
2007 Silverado 2500HD 6L
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
Lacey's Spring, AL
formerFR's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lacey's Spring, AL
Posts: 2,404
I'm not aware of any laws or requirements to 'americanize' any type of rv or vehicle - it was built here to start with.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
MillMitch's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: MN
Posts: 890
There is a good family owned US Customs Broker Jones & Jones located in Washington State, try calling them.638 Peace Portal Dr Suite 222, Blaine, WA 98230, USA Phone: +1 360-332-6090
When dealing with Customs issues in the USA, go to a professional and never mind the "I've been told or I think". If you do it wrong, you could find yourself in a world of trouble with US Customs and they have the power to fine, seize and BAN you from the USA. Hope it works out for you.

Selling Canadian registered Rv in the USA - iRV2 Forums

I found this on a different forum from fall of 2017. I'm not suggesting you specifically call the company above, but probably worth finding a Customs Broker to clarify details for what you're trying to do. A US RV dealer near the canadian border may know how to handle this as well.
Couple thoughts, good luck.
Mitch in MN
2018 Patriot (Grey Wolf) 23MK travel trailer
2011 Durango 5.7L and OEM tow package
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
D W's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 1,667
Just spoke with my neighbor who is a US Customs Agent at Ted Stevens Int'l Airport. He says that if it was exported legally by a Canadian citizen it will have to be imported legally to the US by the entity taking possession of it. According to value, duties will be accessed. He suggested that parties involved contact a Customs Broker to facilitate the process.
'04 K3500 Silverado LS with LS3 Connect & Cruise- with Intimidator SSI PKG- Reprogrammed 4L80E
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 133
I did this last year with my new Rockwood 5th wheel. I had to get a custom broker to import it and there was no duty involved just his fee.
Then had to title it in Florida so the dealership could accept it. Had to pay sales tax on the reported value. Then I was able to use it as a trade with the dealer. Now that is how it was in Florida.

Good luck.
Rivasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
rlh1957's Avatar
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,047
Shouldn't be any duties as it was built in US to begin with. It does need to be legally imported to avoid any title, tag and insurance hassles in the future. A customs broker needs to handle it to make it happen smoothly and painlessly. Usually just their fee.
Then maybe if your state makes you pay a sales tax on any purchase like cars, trailers, boats etc. just like if you bought it from a neighbor.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
FR3 Grampy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
A couple of years ago i traded my class "C", USA made for an FR3, USA made. There was no hassle, no fees, no broker. Dealer took possession of my "C" like a normal trade in. I had checked with boarder office and they told me that since it was original made in the USA it wasn't considered imported even tho i had done all the paperwork to drive it in Canada. BTW, i am a Canadian and i had bought the "C" in the USA and imported it in Canada.

Scottmarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.