Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

Selling Canadian RV in US

We have a Georgetown and are considering going to a 5th wheel. We are currently in the US and given its a bigger market were thinking of possibly selling ( or trading in ) the mh here. We orginally bought it new in NY state and were given export paperwork for Canadian customs so we could licence it at home.I'm assuming there's similar type paperwork involved to "Americanize" it again . Is there anyone out there that has experience with this. Due to US Govt't shutdown there doesn't seem to be much point in contacting US customs or border security for answers right now
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

I Would give a call to a notary near the Canadian border in NY and then the same to a notary close to the boarder in Canada. Hopefully their info matches as how to handle that type of sale.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #3

I'm not aware of any laws or requirements to 'americanize' any type of rv or vehicle - it was built here to start with.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

There is a good family owned US Customs Broker Jones & Jones located in Washington State, try calling them.638 Peace Portal Dr Suite 222, Blaine, WA 98230, USA Phone: +1 360-332-6090
When dealing with Customs issues in the USA, go to a professional and never mind the "I've been told or I think". If you do it wrong, you could find yourself in a world of trouble with US Customs and they have the power to fine, seize and BAN you from the USA. Hope it works out for you.

Selling Canadian registered Rv in the USA - iRV2 Forums

I found this on a different forum from fall of 2017. I'm not suggesting you specifically call the company above, but probably worth finding a Customs Broker to clarify details for what you're trying to do. A US RV dealer near the canadian border may know how to handle this as well.
Couple thoughts, good luck.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
D W

Just spoke with my neighbor who is a US Customs Agent at Ted Stevens Int'l Airport. He says that if it was exported legally by a Canadian citizen it will have to be imported legally to the US by the entity taking possession of it. According to value, duties will be accessed. He suggested that parties involved contact a Customs Broker to facilitate the process.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #6

I did this last year with my new Rockwood 5th wheel. I had to get a custom broker to import it and there was no duty involved just his fee.
Then had to title it in Florida so the dealership could accept it. Had to pay sales tax on the reported value. Then I was able to use it as a trade with the dealer. Now that is how it was in Florida.

Good luck.
Rivasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #7

Shouldn't be any duties as it was built in US to begin with. It does need to be legally imported to avoid any title, tag and insurance hassles in the future. A customs broker needs to handle it to make it happen smoothly and painlessly. Usually just their fee.
Then maybe if your state makes you pay a sales tax on any purchase like cars, trailers, boats etc. just like if you bought it from a neighbor.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
FR3 Grampy

A couple of years ago i traded my class "C", USA made for an FR3, USA made. There was no hassle, no fees, no broker. Dealer took possession of my "C" like a normal trade in. I had checked with boarder office and they told me that since it was original made in the USA it wasn't considered imported even tho i had done all the paperwork to drive it in Canada. BTW, i am a Canadian and i had bought the "C" in the USA and imported it in Canada.
Scottmarm is offline   Reply With Quote