Old 03-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #1

selling/trading old rv?

which is best?
we have a 2011 cherokee/grey wolf 26bh and are thinking of moving to a small, probably a pop up. Maybe used - want/need to lose the payment and free up our credit.

Is there a blue book site where i could (in theory) find a book value on our camper?

I suspect we'll get what our loan payoff is..if we're lucky.

Is it best to sell outright or trade in at a dealer?

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

There is a site that gives RV values, off the top of my head I don't recall. NADA values are what you can find. I'm sure there is a NADA site if you google it. I would imagine you would get the best deal from a private sale, however, if you are needing to get rid of the trailer now (because of the payment), the only "guaranteed now" solution is trade. If you try to sell it in a private sale, you may end up having it in your yard for sale for months and months, until you come across someone who wants to buy it. But if it is a trade, the dealer is the one that has to deal with resale. So you have to weigh the risk/reward of value in trade versus the possibility it might take a while to sell it. Best of luck

Old 03-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #3

RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides

You won't get near what the NADA guide says for trade value....probably around 70% or less.

You're best off trying to sell outright.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Investigate selling your old one "On Consignment".

Every dealer I talked to was willing to take my camper on consignment so it is a good option when "privately selling."

Advantages include:

1) Not getting scammer calls/emails at all hours asking for your bank account information to deposit the check.

2) Not worrying about getting ripped off by a "cashiers check" when the "shipper" comes to take your camper and title.

3) It clears your driveway for your new camper.

The way it works is (after you make contact over the phone) you bring your camper to the dealership "ready to sell" and you and the dealer go over the camper.

You both agree on what you want for the camper. You give them the keys and they try to sell it for more than you are asking. They keep the amount over the price you agreed on.

The downside is you are totally dependent on them to market and move your camper. You don't get your money till it sells. It could take a LONG time if you want top dollar.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
Canadian Member

I've sold my previous 2 trailers on Kijiji.ca which is probably similar to Craigslist in the US. I can prevent my phone # from being posted and insist on email only for the initial contact. My terms are always certified check or bank draft (both very reliable), and only in person transactions. I don't respond to lowballers or PayPal requests and say so right in my ad.

You'll rarely get good value on a trade-in.

Herk7769's recommendation sounds good too but I don't have any experience at consignment. If you aren't comfortable selling it yourself this could be a good alternative.

Patience is a virtue when selling privately.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

"I suspect we'll get what our loan payoff is..if we're lucky" Don't quite understand this. If there is anyway you can hold on to it(tighten that wallet/purse no camping) call the insurance people and if they have a "put it in storage" option that will save some $ pay it off and sell it. Sorry about your dilemma. Good luck
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Beware of cashiers checks. They can "clear" your bank but can take an additional 7 - 10 days for the hard copy to make it back to the originating bank.

The way the scam works is the "crook" makes a "good faith" deposit to your PayPal or Bank by personal check (say 500 dollars) drawn on an out of state bank. You deposit it and is clears just fine.

He says his "shipper" will come for the camper with a cashiers check for the balance owed and will handle all the paperwork.

The shipper arrives with a cashiers check and goes with you to transfer the title "to the shipper". Off he drives with your title and your camper. You deposit the cahiers check in your account.

After 5 days your bank shows the funds available and you close on the camper of your dreams, writing a local check on the deposited funds.

3 days later you get notified by the dealer the check has bounced and you call the bank. You find out the cashiers check is a fraud and your account has been frozen while it is all sorted out.

You pay the fee for the bounced cashiers check AND the bounced personal check to your bank. You lose your new camper and the dealership may or may not return your earnest deposit when the deal falls through.

You lose your old camper because the "buyer" is no longer returning your calls or emails. The only good news is you have the original 500 dollars.

It can even be worse. The cashiers check can be for MORE than the agreed upon price, less 500 dollars. The "shipper" will say that there was a miscommunication about the sales price. Rather than crash the deal, the shipper "suggests" (and perhaps calls on his cell "for permission") to accept your personal check for the difference.

In this scenario, you lose the 500 dollars earnest money and perhaps much more depending on how much more the check was for.

SO many ways to get clobbered if you are trusting of these scammers.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #8

all i can get out of them is 2016 prices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides

You won't get near what the NADA guide says for trade value....probably around 70% or less.

You're best off trying to sell outright.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #9

owe around 10k. really don't want to pay to get rid of it...as in sell it for less than we owe.
storage won't save anything..insurance is 130/year. Payment is what i'm trying to get rid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
"I suspect we'll get what our loan payoff is..if we're lucky" Don't quite understand this. If there is anyway you can hold on to it(tighten that wallet/purse no camping) call the insurance people and if they have a "put it in storage" option that will save some $ pay it off and sell it. Sorry about your dilemma. Good luck

Old 03-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

thanks!
Now i know how to buy my next camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Beware of cashiers checks. They can "clear" your bank but can take an additional 7 - 10 days for the hard copy to make it back to the originating bank.

The way the scam works is the "crook" makes a "good faith" deposit to your PayPal or Bank by personal check (say 500 dollars) drawn on an out of state bank. You deposit it and is clears just fine.

He says his "shipper" will come for the camper with a cashiers check for the balance owed and will handle all the paperwork.

The shipper arrives with a cashiers check and goes with you to transfer the title "to the shipper". Off he drives with your title and your camper. You deposit the cahiers check in your account.

After 5 days your bank shows the funds available and you close on the camper of your dreams, writing a local check on the deposited funds.

3 days later you get notified by the dealer the check has bounced and you call the bank. You find out the cashiers check is a fraud and your account has been frozen while it is all sorted out.

You pay the fee for the bounced cashiers check AND the bounced personal check to your bank. You lose your new camper and the dealership may or may not return your earnest deposit when the deal falls through.

You lose your old camper because the "buyer" is no longer returning your calls or emails. The only good news is you have the original 500 dollars.

It can even be worse. The cashiers check can be for MORE than the agreed upon price, less 500 dollars. The "shipper" will say that there was a miscommunication about the sales price. Rather than crash the deal, the shipper "suggests" (and perhaps calls on his cell "for permission") to accept your personal check for the difference.

In this scenario, you lose the 500 dollars earnest money and perhaps much more depending on how much more the check was for.

SO many ways to get clobbered if you are trusting of these scammers.