I have a question that I am hoping someone out there may have a little experience with and may be able to lend some guidance. In April 2013, I purchased a Roo 23SS from RV One and elected to buy the additional 84 month Service Contract (SC) with it from StarRV. This SC came at the tune of about $1900.
This May, I was leaving for a trip and my electric tongue jack was frozen solid due to a mfr defect which allowed water to get into the solenoid and rust everything solid. Needless to say, my RV was immobile. I called the SC company and they told me in order to take advantage of the SC, I had to get it to an authorized service center or have a mobile tech come to my home.
After explaining it to them about a dozen times that if I could bring my RV somewhere, I wouldn't be calling them to begin with. They searched their database for a mobile RV mechanic in my area, but they could not find one or offer any suggestions.
The campground I was going to (several hours away) had an onsite mobile repair guy who was willing to meet me half way if I could somehow bring the jack to him. He could troubleshoot, repair, or verify it was indeed FUBAR. But, the SC company refused to allow that because the tongue jack had to be connected to the RV when it was evaluated. Again, I explained the function of a tongue jack and was willing to draw a picture in crayon if it would help them understand!!!
This brought me to the point of requesting they cancel my SC. They said I had to contact RV One for a refund. I did. That was in May. It is now November and I am still awaiting my refund. I called again this morning to find out what was going on with my warranty and the "girl who processes them is out due to surgery". I don't want to sound insensitive, but this sounds like bunk M.aye she is, but still doesn't excuse them from not acting sooner.
What RV One was offering is only a partial (prorated) refund because some of the warranty period has elapsed. Since the SC company was never able to even provide service on this warranty during the event when it was needed, should RV One be refunding me the ENTIRE purchase price? It seems crazy to me that they could profit of of selling something that could not be backed. I think I should get the full refund and RV One can fight it out with Star RV.
After reading posts on here, after the fact, I now know how foolish it was to even purchase this SC (shame on me). For future reference, I now know I should have just (at most) bought the 1 yr EW from FR directly (which I now know about).
If anyone has ever gone through something like this before and can offer a suggestion on what can be done, I would greatly appreciate it. In the future, I really need to lean more on the collective knowledge on this site BEFORE I foolishly go and spend that kind of moolah again.