Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Service Contract troubles

Hello everyone,
I have a question that I am hoping someone out there may have a little experience with and may be able to lend some guidance. In April 2013, I purchased a Roo 23SS from RV One and elected to buy the additional 84 month Service Contract (SC) with it from StarRV. This SC came at the tune of about $1900.
This May, I was leaving for a trip and my electric tongue jack was frozen solid due to a mfr defect which allowed water to get into the solenoid and rust everything solid. Needless to say, my RV was immobile. I called the SC company and they told me in order to take advantage of the SC, I had to get it to an authorized service center or have a mobile tech come to my home.
After explaining it to them about a dozen times that if I could bring my RV somewhere, I wouldn't be calling them to begin with. They searched their database for a mobile RV mechanic in my area, but they could not find one or offer any suggestions.
The campground I was going to (several hours away) had an onsite mobile repair guy who was willing to meet me half way if I could somehow bring the jack to him. He could troubleshoot, repair, or verify it was indeed FUBAR. But, the SC company refused to allow that because the tongue jack had to be connected to the RV when it was evaluated. Again, I explained the function of a tongue jack and was willing to draw a picture in crayon if it would help them understand!!!

This brought me to the point of requesting they cancel my SC. They said I had to contact RV One for a refund. I did. That was in May. It is now November and I am still awaiting my refund. I called again this morning to find out what was going on with my warranty and the "girl who processes them is out due to surgery". I don't want to sound insensitive, but this sounds like bunk M.aye she is, but still doesn't excuse them from not acting sooner.
What RV One was offering is only a partial (prorated) refund because some of the warranty period has elapsed. Since the SC company was never able to even provide service on this warranty during the event when it was needed, should RV One be refunding me the ENTIRE purchase price? It seems crazy to me that they could profit of of selling something that could not be backed. I think I should get the full refund and RV One can fight it out with Star RV.

After reading posts on here, after the fact, I now know how foolish it was to even purchase this SC (shame on me). For future reference, I now know I should have just (at most) bought the 1 yr EW from FR directly (which I now know about).

If anyone has ever gone through something like this before and can offer a suggestion on what can be done, I would greatly appreciate it. In the future, I really need to lean more on the collective knowledge on this site BEFORE I foolishly go and spend that kind of moolah again.

Thank you

TheWesties
'14 Roo 23SS
'12 Chevy Silverado
Equalizer WDH
TheWesties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

IMHO, service contracts are like the "True Coat" car finish in the movie Fargo... just another way for a dealer (or retailer) to increase their profit margin.

Trying to cancel these things and get a refund is usually a lost cause. Somewhere on the contract (usually in very, very, small print on the last page) will be wording to the effect that if you cancel it no refund is allowed or a pro-rated refund starting at 50% of value going down from there.

When I did buy them years ago, I either never needed it or had similar issues trying to get "service" so I don't buy them anymore.
Troy, NC
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:02 AM   #3

Bite the bullet and go buy a new tongue jack yourself. $99 (+tax) delivered to your door from Amazon or Walmart for a 3500# jack. You can screw the old one down manually an block the tongue and put the new one on in less than 30 minutes. One wire to the battery and that's it. The extended service contracts benefit only two people, the RV dealer and the company that sells the service contract. Good luck on getting a refund, that $1900 would have bought a lot of tongue jacks. If you had bought the extended warranty when the TT was new it would have been only $150 for the second year warranty from FR, but many dealers don't mention it to the customers and sell the outside service contracts for a big profit.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:42 AM   #4

I know first hand that They will prorate the monies back to the dealer for remaining months, if it is ever used or not. Sorry to say that to you. Atleast mine will or you can transfer to another unit. If you bought it when you got your unit, you will lose that year all together that you had a FR warranty. So if your in your 2nd year you lost the monies for the first already.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #5

When we canceled ours I called the dealership and followed up weekly until I got the check. It was prorated for the 13 months we had it and took about four weeks to receive our check.

If I were you I'd be on the phone to the finance manager or general manager to get this rolling and explain it to them it's not your problem the person who needs to handle this isn't there. Good luck
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
WDW

Westies - sent you a PM with some contact info to help your situation.

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service