Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #41
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

This is a trailer, of course, not a self-propelled vehicle, so it doesn't need liability.
So...if you have visitors at your campsite and someone slips and falls on the entrance steps...

Isn't that called 'liability'?

Quote:

Keep in mind an insurance salesman pockets 5% to 20% of your premium every year.
Do you work for free?

Or do/did you like to get paid for your work...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #42

Non Renewal

Since this really happening to you, why not share the name of the company here?
Astoy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoy45 View Post
Since this really happening to you, why not share the name of the company here?
Who are you asking?
Old 09-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
So...if you have visitors at your campsite and someone slips and falls on the entrance steps...

Isn't that called 'liability'?

A towed vehicle is covered by the liability coverage on your tow vehicle. The trailer insurance is for damage to it.

BTW, just because someone slips and falls on your steps doesnt automatically mean you are liable. The injured party has to be able to show you were negligent. Keep them clean, maintain anti slip features, extend hand rail.and avoid clutter one can stumble over. If you weren't negligent, you arent liable. There are a lot of reasons people fall and get hurt. Many are their own fault.

That said, because people are people and today everyone Sue's, I carry a large Umbrella Policy that covers ALL of my property.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A towed vehicle is covered by the liability coverage on your tow vehicle. The trailer insurance is for damage to it.
I'm not so sure this is true...

I recently had to switch all of my insurance from Colorado to Arizona, and my agent (Progressive) told me that the liability from my truck policy DOES NOT cover my 5'ver.

Nor does it (truck policy) cover anything on my 5'ver...with exception of the roadside assistance!

I do have a separate policy on the truck and trailer through them...each with their own liability coverage.

I'm going to investigate this a little more to see if there is another option for me...

But I did ask about this when I switched from my Colorado agent to my Arizona agent, so I believe I am set up the way I should be.

That being said...full replacement and liability coverage (don't know the numbers off of the top of my head)...the 5'ver policy is roughly $150/year.

I think that maybe we all should talk with our agents and have them clarify to us what our coverages really are...

And to have them research for us any other options that might be better and/or possibly be less expensive.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I'm not so sure this is true...

I recently had to switch all of my insurance from Colorado to Arizona, and my agent (Progressive) told me that the liability from my truck policy DOES NOT cover my 5'ver.

Nor does it (truck policy) cover anything on my 5'ver...with exception of the roadside assistance!

I do have a separate policy on the truck and trailer through them...each with their own liability coverage.

I'm going to investigate this a little more to see if there is another option for me...

But I did ask about this when I switched from my Colorado agent to my Arizona agent, so I believe I am set up the way I should be.

That being said...full replacement and liability coverage (don't know the numbers off of the top of my head)...the 5'ver policy is roughly $150/year.

I think that maybe we all should talk with our agents and have them clarify to us what our coverages really are...

And to have them research for us any other options that might be better and/or possibly be less expensive.
Just stating what both my agent and "main office" customer service rep told me.

Could well vary by company and policy. Shopping for lower cost policies could well end up with more limits on coverage.

I went down the path of "sorry, we dont cocver that" many years ago. Wife and I decided to pay a few $$ extra and not have later surprises. Been with the same company for over 30 years with no surprises.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #47

I think you are just confusing the difference between LIABILITY and PROPERTY DAMAGE on your 5r, as when it's being 'pulled' by your truck.

The object of LIABILITY, which is coverage for OTHERS property and bodily injury(medical), is to provide a base for others to be compensated when you are at fault in an accident, whether accidental or intentional.
Now, when you ATTACHED a wheeled vehicle, trailer, or 5r, to your INSURED truck, the TRUCK'S Liability coverage EXTENDS to that trailer, automatically. Why? Because the trailer is being 'powered' by a vehicle that IS insured - the trailer has no power on it's own. In essence, your trailer becomes a simple 'extension' of your Insured truck.

As for your own PROPERTY DAMAGE to your 5r, whether WHILE being pulled/attached to your insured Truck, or while parked or sitting, THAT coverage is totally up to YOU as to whether you want it, or purchase it. Your loan provider for your 5r 'may' REQUIRE it, as it's their loan collateral that is at risk, but otherwise, it's up to you to insure SEPARATELY from your truck.
These coverages are called COMPREHENSIVE and COLLISION.
Comp' coverage is for 'out of your control' type of damage - tree falls on the car, deer jumps in front of your car, general glass damage, etc.
Coll' covers your vehicle when you are in an 'at fault' accident, usually with another vehicle, but really any type of collision, even with a house, or tree, even if you don't 'think' it was your fault because you 'swerved' to miss a deer!

You'll also notice on policies that have both your Truck, and your 5r, that the Truck will show Liability coverage, while your 5r will NOT... it's included with your truck.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #48

...and another note: while I don't have a 5r, I have a diesel pusher motorhome, my tow CAR is covered by my MOTORHOME's Liability coverage while towing the car, NOT the car's own Liability, since the car is not under it's own power, and it is being 'controlled' or 'powered' by the motorhome. The concept is the same, regardless.
But, as with the 5r, I still have to make sure that I, myself, have PROPERTY Comprehensive and Collision coverage on the car. The motorhome's policy will NOT cover that.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I think you are just confusing the difference between LIABILITY and PROPERTY DAMAGE on your 5r, as when it's being 'pulled' by your truck.

The object of LIABILITY, which is coverage for OTHERS property and bodily injury(medical), is to provide a base for others to be compensated when you are at fault in an accident, whether accidental or intentional.
Now, when you ATTACHED a wheeled vehicle, trailer, or 5r, to your INSURED truck, the TRUCK'S Liability coverage EXTENDS to that trailer, automatically. Why? Because the trailer is being 'powered' by a vehicle that IS insured - the trailer has no power on it's own. In essence, your trailer becomes a simple 'extension' of your Insured truck.

As for your own PROPERTY DAMAGE to your 5r, whether WHILE being pulled/attached to your insured Truck, or while parked or sitting, THAT coverage is totally up to YOU as to whether you want it, or purchase it. Your loan provider for your 5r 'may' REQUIRE it, as it's their loan collateral that is at risk, but otherwise, it's up to you to insure SEPARATELY from your truck.
These coverages are called COMPREHENSIVE and COLLISION. Comp' coverage 'out of your control' type of damage - tree falls on the car, deer jumps in front of your car, general glass damage, etc.
Coll' covers your vehicle when you are in an 'at fault' accident, usually with another vehicle, but really any type of collision, even with a house, or tree, even if you don't 'think' it was your fault because you 'swerved' to miss a deer!

You'll also notice on policies that have both your Truck, and your 5r, that the Truck will show Liability coverage, while your 5r will NOT... it's included with your truck.
Exactly what my agent told me too.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:04 PM   #50

Dealing with any sort of commissioned sales one needs to remember the salesman is working for himself, not you. There is strong incentive to sell the product with the highest dollar commission, not get you the best deal. This naturally occurring event is what makes buying automobiles so enjoyable as well.

Been buying USAA insurance direct for decades. No salesman involved. That removes a layer of overhead from the cost.

Insurance is state regulated (USA) so experience in one state can be drastically different than another.

Insurance is a bet and the "house" always has the odds in its favor.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #51

Ok. I didn't read all this. I am not an agent.
The
I see independent agents changing providers as this increases the % of commission if the account is new(er).

I would shop around as well.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Dealing with any sort of commissioned sales one needs to remember the salesman is working for himself, not you. There is strong incentive to sell the product with the highest dollar commission, not get you the best deal. This naturally occurring event is what makes buying automobiles so enjoyable as well.

Been buying USAA insurance direct for decades. No salesman involved. That removes a layer of overhead from the cost.

Insurance is state regulated (USA) so experience in one state can be drastically different than another.

Insurance is a bet and the "house" always has the odds in its favor.

-- Chuck
Having worked for 15 years as a commissioned factory rep I found that there was more money to be made from happy customers rather than pushing the "filet mignon".
Happy customers were sold what fit their needs and budget. They in turn sent more customers my way.

Not every salesman pushes just what's best for them. Especially if they want to have a long career.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
How about sharing the names of the insurance companies. All of this vague, anonymous information doesn't tell us a lot.
Name sharing wouldn't help a whole lot either, since insurance laws / policies / coverages / prices vary greatly between states and specific regions. There may be few similarities from one area to another, not to mention the differences between specifics coverages selected.
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Having worked for 15 years as a commissioned factory rep I found that there was more money to be made from happy customers rather than pushing the "filet mignon".
Happy customers were sold what fit their needs and budget. They in turn sent more customers my way.

Not every salesman pushes just what's best for them. Especially if they want to have a long career.

I have to agree with TitanMike. For several years, I was a Realtor and placed the customer ahead of myself. We have not been so fortunate when we, personally, were the sellers dealing with an agent.

I had one sale where I had suggested a property on the water. The buyers were not happy with the sellers closing demands. I showed them other properties, including one that had a double commission on the buyer's side. I never told my people about the commission enhancement. They decided to reinstate the original water property deal. They liked both properties, but I never pressed the issue over money in my pocket.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #55

I also have been a commissioned sales professional for the last 20 years, which is why I defend sales people's honor here in the chats when posters pontificate that all sales people are money hungry wolves!

Sure, there are lots of bad ones out there, but in the real world these wolves get eaten up by bears because that practice won't allow you to survive very long in the sales business.

I didn't have 20 good years because I was screwing all of my customers...

I had 20 good years because I found out what the customer wanted and sold them what they needed...

Each and every time they came back in looking for me instead of one of my coworkers...

Old 09-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #56

I too am in sales(commissioned for 20+ years) and the only way to win a good customer is service.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance