Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

Cool Shock from my Insurance Company (Non Renewal)

I have been with a large club insurance provider for a number of years, had great service. Today out of the Blue I get a letter in the mail stating they will not be renewing my insurance. After a call to the company I was told yes the agent for your policy is no longer with the company and as a result we are not renewing any policies. "But" we would like to keep you with our company and provide you insurance so you don't have a lapse of coverage. You breath a sigh of relief so they transfer you to their sales dept.
After sometime on the phone you are told we can continue your same coverage at near the same price you were paying. So you agree and hang up. In the next few days you receive a email stating they have approved your "NEW Policy" and the rate will be, this is where the boom falls. They will renew my police at just short of 300% of my old rate.
I have done some investigating and found that in my state North Carolina they are regulated as to the amount they can raise your policy each year. If you decide or are required to take out a new policy all bets are off.
This is how the company is ripping us off. Has anyone else seen this happening to them? Beware it occurs about 1 month before your renewal. Mine went from $600 to almost $1700.
garyhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #2

Insurance on your rv?

Think I'd shop around. That's outrageous.

The insurance company that we have for homeowners and car insurance and had our tt on it changed their policies and raised our rate from $50 to $250. Waited a year due to procrastination and found a better rate from the insurance company that has our MH.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #3

Shop Around

Yea already started and found several companies that want my business. Also talking to the state insurance commission about this. Only posted it cause I thought some people would just set back and let this go on.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #4

as an agent, there are many times that I've had situations where a particular company decides to 'leave' the market, in a certain state, because they either can't get the rate they think they need, for the risk, or the regulations become prohibitive compared to the business they have there. Like any business, it's up to them to decide what to do, and any current customers have to be made aware that their policy will not be renewing.

If you are a 'member' of some club that offers insurance, what you might really be saying is that your 'club' is no longer using this insurance company, and therefore all the customers what that company are being non-renewed. The club, itself, can continue to offer plans from other companies. Your club is acting as an 'agent', just like any insurance agency, on any corner of downtown America.

No 'company' is 'ripping you off'...but your 'agency' is simply giving you what they can do for you, with the other companies that they deal with.... you are certainly welcomed, and encouraged, to seek quotes elsewhere. You may even find that other companies have a better 'deal' than even the club 'deal' that you originally had. The ONLY way to know is to price around.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #5

Had the exact same thing happen to us on our house insurance. 300% increase due to our area being put into higher claim bracket. We live in NM where all we get is heat!! They said it was due to numerous hail storms. BS!

They also said due to this high claim classification for our area that any insurance company we called would say the same thing. More BS! We got the same coverage from a different company for less than we were originally paying.

We have no loyalty to any insurance company and don't trust any of them Pays to shop around.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #6

I am confused. What does you agent leaving the company have to do with them dropping you. You have insurance with the company the agent is just someone who handles the policy for,you someone to talk with about changes. I have been with the same insurance company for over 30 years and have had several different agents. My policy has not change at all with the change of an agent.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #7

I think more then likely they don't want people in NC , might be more of this from Florence. Try Hartford ins. I have had them for 15 years, I check different company's every year but they can't beat them. I would like to get USAA, but I'm not paying 25% more.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #8

I don't really think it has to do with the agent... It is a way around the insurance commission rules and regulations for your state.
As for the company dropping coverage on a prior thread... If that be the case the why does the same company want my business at 300%.. No my friend it is a way to jack up the rate...
Old 09-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #9

Oh yes, they cover my home, cars and class c MH

Old 09-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #10

We just got our renewal notice and our premiums had gone up approximately 250%. This was our 3rd year with this company. We called our agent and were told that they had already checked it for lower rates when they got their notice. This was for our 2017 Ford F350 dually (tow vehicle), my 2015 Honda Pilot and our 2018 Sandpiper.

I made a couple of calls and the exact same coverage with another company was over 50% lower. Needless to say, we switched.

We also have about a dozen rental properties and when the time comes for renewal, we will be switching companies with them, also. (It's paid for the year).

It usually takes about 30 minutes to get a quote from another company and you can usually do it online and then an agent will call you. It makes no sense to pay out of loyalty to a specific company now. It used to be a "thing", especially in smaller communities, but ......
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #11

Currently paying $800 on my 2015 Gtown here in Eastern NC. Through Foremost Insurance. They are definitely ripping you off unless you've had some claims or violations on your record.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

This is why I like that I'm with an independent insurance brokerage. My agent doesn't work for a single company, they shop around for me every year, and let me know if I'm still getting the best rates, or if there are any lower rates. Agents that work directly for an insurance company only want you to stay. They're more interested in keeping you loyal to that company than finding you the actual best rates.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #13

X2 on the independent insurance broker.....I don't feel so bad last year around this time I dropped State Farm and signed up with Progressive just found out they raised my rate $27 from $388 to $415 for 2019 I suppose if I raise my deductible and lower my contents value that I have at 5K and get rid of the replacement value for current market value it would be alittle cheaper.

Below is the email stating the reason my rate increased I received from my agent.

I called Progressive, the rate is $27.00 higher from last year. Progressive stated that each year the trailer gets older it may increase a little because they are covering the trailer with full replacement value based on $30,000 with no deprecation even thought the trailer is depreciating each year. We have listed total replacement on the travel trailer.

If you have a total loss they would write you a check for $30,000 minus your deductible. This is a nice feature that won't be taken off unless we change or rewrite a policy. Also you have disappearing deductibles on the policy.

Each year that you are claim free the deductible lowers from $250.00 minus 25%. This year your claim deductible is $188 for comp and collision.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I think more then likely they don't want people in NC , might be more of this from Florence. Try Hartford ins. I have had them for 15 years, I check different company's every year but they can't beat them. I would like to get USAA, but I'm not paying 25% more.
We had The Hartford for many years because it was the only company we could find in our state that would insure a cargo trailer (go figure). I calculated that we had paid them well over $12,000 in premiums in those years without making a claim. We were out-of-state when a passing semi pinch a rock off a tire and broke our windshield. No negligence, purely a simple comprehensive incident.

Because we were heading home in a few days, we went to a dealership that does windshield repair/replacements. After looking at the windshield, the estimator stated that the damage was deep and starting to spiderweb.This was not a repair, but a replacement. He called The Hartford claims, had a conversation and also submitted pictures. The adjuster would only allow a repair on this claim. I got on the phone and spoke to the adjuster to no avail.

We went to a second glass shop that has an impeccable reputation. We acted like it was our first stop just to see if we would get a different opinion. Upon viewing the damage, the second shop came up with the same conclusion-replacement. We then stated that we had been to another shop and they also indicated that it could not be repaired. So, the second shop called The Hartford and were stonewalled. The Hartford would only pay for a repair.
I got on the phone and explained that two different professional glass companies had told us and The Hartford the same thing.

The calls were fruitless. Obviously, we were getting nowhere. I asked the owners at the second shop what options were. They again affirmed that it was not prudent to repair the windshield. They could replace the windshield with a new better tinted windshield for $235 parts and labor the following day. I asked them what the insurance company would pay for a repair. It was $50 dollars. We agreed to get the windshield installed, pay the difference, and they would collect the $50 from The Hartford.

This is not the end of the story. When we returned home, I called The Hartford to get an address to send a letter requesting full payment on the windshield. The lady at the claims was pleasant and ask that I explain. I went through the scenario and she stated there was no need for the letter. Send a copy of the paid bill for the replacement and The Hartford would pay the difference. In my amazement, I stated, "That simple?" Her reply, "That simple." Then why did we have to go through all this hassle for $185. I often wonder what hassles I would have had on a more serious claim.

It came time to renew and we licensed the truck in another state. We were planning on changing insurance companies because of the hassle. We advised The Hartford of our change and , for curiosity got a quote from them. The state we the truck was previously registered in was know for higher rates. The Hartford quoted the same rate we had been paying. The company we chose was half. Two years later, the rate has not changed. So much for loyalty to one company.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
We had The Hartford for many years because it was the only company we could find in our state that would insure a cargo trailer (go figure). I calculated that we had paid them well over $12,000 in premiums in those years without making a claim. We were out-of-state when a passing semi pinch a rock off a tire and broke our windshield. No negligence, purely a simple comprehensive incident.

Because we were heading home in a few days, we went to a dealership that does windshield repair/replacements. After looking at the windshield, the estimator stated that the damage was deep and starting to spiderweb.This was not a repair, but a replacement. He called The Hartford claims, had a conversation and also submitted pictures. The adjuster would only allow a repair on this claim. I got on the phone and spoke to the adjuster to no avail.

We went to a second glass shop that has an impeccable reputation. We acted like it was our first stop just to see if we would get a different opinion. Upon viewing the damage, the second shop came up with the same conclusion-replacement. We then stated that we had been to another shop and they also indicated that it could not be repaired. So, the second shop called The Hartford and were stonewalled. The Hartford would only pay for a repair.
I got on the phone and explained that two different professional glass companies had told us and The Hartford the same thing.

The calls were fruitless. Obviously, we were getting nowhere. I asked the owners at the second shop what options were. They again affirmed that it was not prudent to repair the windshield. They could replace the windshield with a new better tinted windshield for $235 parts and labor the following day. I asked them what the insurance company would pay for a repair. It was $50 dollars. We agreed to get the windshield installed, pay the difference, and they would collect the $50 from The Hartford.

This is not the end of the story. When we returned home, I called The Hartford to get an address to send a letter requesting full payment on the windshield. The lady at the claims was pleasant and ask that I explain. I went through the scenario and she stated there was no need for the letter. Send a copy of the paid bill for the replacement and The Hartford would pay the difference. In my amazement, I stated, "That simple?" Her reply, "That simple." Then why did we have to go through all this hassle for $185. I often wonder what hassles I would have had on a more serious claim.

It came time to renew and we licensed the truck in another state. We were planning on changing insurance companies because of the hassle. We advised The Hartford of our change and , for curiosity got a quote from them. The state we the truck was previously registered in was know for higher rates. The Hartford quoted the same rate we had been paying. The company we chose was half. Two years later, the rate has not changed. So much for loyalty to one company.
I guess there is always a story. I have never had a problem. In fact I had a dime hole leak in my roof. It was from a branch, I claimed it , I just wanted it repaired. They came out and looked at it, now they said they wouldn't cover just a repair, but would cover a whole new roof installed. They paid 5500.00 for a new roof, they said they didn't want to have a problem down the line. I guess it just don't figure, but I also asked for an adjuster to inspect it. They have been great with me...

Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #16

How about sharing the names of the insurance companies. All of this vague, anonymous information doesn't tell us a lot.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
How about sharing the names of the insurance companies. All of this vague, anonymous information doesn't tell us a lot.
I don't think the names really matter. They all do exactly the same thing. We have changed to cheaper insurance 3 times in five years. Now we are back to the original one (Hartford), as they happened to be cheaper this time. Then they will raise the rate and we will change again
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #18

This is a reason why I don't bundle insurance coverage. If one company goes "rogue", I can replace then easily enough.

I had a "MAJOR" insurance company who run a lot of TV ads drop me when I was married due to my then wife getting too many silly non-moving tickets.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
The insurance company I'm talking about is Hartford, they carry all my insurance, house,cars and RV

Old 09-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #20

USAA? Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Yeah, so would I and had them years with our previous Airstream. About 4 yrs ago we traded for a MH and wanted USAA again but found they don’t underwrite MH’s anymore but have contracted it out to Progressive whom we are now with. THAT is now more expensive...
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance