Attached Files

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Installed the surge protector this morning. Thanks for the suggestion about putting it behind the electrical panel.

On my Rockwood the actual cable entrance is in a small cupboard underneath the TV center, but the space there was pretty limited, but the power cable is then routed to the electrical panel which is under the fridge, and I was able to install it there with no issues. There was even enough loose cable to not need the extra 3ft of cable that I just bought from Lowes (oh well, I wasted a whole $5, nevermind).

I haven't properly fixed it down yet. I think I'm going to just use a couple of adhesive/velcro strips rather than screwing it down, since getting a screwdriver in there might be tricky.
I also need to drill a small hole to run the cable through for the separate display module.

Did you cover the display ?
I read that the switch turns protection on/off, not just turning the display on/off, so I'll need to mask over the display to stop it from being annoying/distracting
I did not cover the display. It is somewhat annoying, but not to bad, since I mounted it down low (by the electrical panel). I do find myself looking at it periodically just to check the voltage. I wanted to put the display in the panel with slide switches, awning, etc. but that is a long run. Maybe some day. Glad you got it mounted ok, as it sure gives you a sense of security.

BAK Roll-X Tonneau Cover
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #13

Yeah, I wouldn't even know how to get the cable over there neatly
Old 08-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #14

Thats why I put mine in the cabinet - I can check on it every time I grab a snack!

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Quote:
NOTE: Should you require a longer data link cable Progressive Industries can customer make a size to your specifications. Please call for pricing.

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
Thats why I put mine in the cabinet - I can check on it every time I grab a snack!
Not sure there's any cabinet nearby that I could easily route a cable into, from behind the power panel, but I'll take a look next week when picking up the 5er for a trip
Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Good to hear. I just bought one of the internal hard-wired Progressive surge protectors, the EMS-HW30C, but haven't installed it yet.

I'm planning to install this weekend, but am not sure where to install, since I don't recall the power cable routing in the 5er.

If anyone has installed one of these in a Forest River Rockwood UltraLite fifth wheel, could you let me know how/where you installed it. Would be most helpful.
(I'm guessing most models will have similar power cable routing, but mine's the 8281WS).

Thanks
we installed one in the 2012 Salem with about 1 hour of my time. Saved my bacon several times and we now have ordered another unit for our second trailer. now to locate the best place for it to go.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Installed the surge protector this morning. Thanks for the suggestion about putting it behind the electrical panel.

On my Rockwood the actual cable entrance is in a small cupboard underneath the TV center, but the space there was pretty limited, but the power cable is then routed to the electrical panel which is under the fridge, and I was able to install it there with no issues. There was even enough loose cable to not need the extra 3ft of cable that I just bought from Lowes (oh well, I wasted a whole $5, nevermind).

I haven't properly fixed it down yet. I think I'm going to just use a couple of adhesive/velcro strips rather than screwing it down, since getting a screwdriver in there might be tricky.
I also need to drill a small hole to run the cable through for the separate display module.

Did you cover the display ?
I read that the switch turns protection on/off, not just turning the display on/off, so I'll need to mask over the display to stop it from being annoying/distracting
Maybe I missed the part about "turning off the dislay turns off protection". I don't believe it does that. When I leave my 5er (in seasonial site) I usually turn off the display. I have come back the following weekend and have had an error code (low voltage) displayed when I turn the display back on. I have to go out and turn off the 50Amp breaker , then turn it back on, clears the code. I may be wrong but I believe the protection remains in effect regardless of display ON or OFF. At least I hope so....
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Maybe I missed the part about "turning off the dislay turns off protection". I don't believe it does that. When I leave my 5er (in seasonial site) I usually turn off the display. I have come back the following weekend and have had an error code (low voltage) displayed when I turn the display back on. I have to go out and turn off the 50Amp breaker , then turn it back on, clears the code. I may be wrong but I believe the protection remains in effect regardless of display ON or OFF. At least I hope so....
Just got back from first trip with new fifth wheel, and with the progressive surge protector installed. All seemed good.
I might have to check with progressive, since I hoped that the switch was just for the display and not for protection, but left it switched on this trip just to be on the safe side ;-)
Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #19

the remote display only lets you know whats going on. unit still works if thats turned off.

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote