Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
geezer with gadgets
 
757Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 460
Shout Out to Progressive Industries

A little late posting this, but just got back from a month long camping trip out west.

Three days before we were leaving on this trip, DW and I took our MH out for the weekend just to run through everything one last time before departure.

We camped at a campground we had camped at previously even the same site. Arrived latter than planned and it was dark when we arrived. Got out and before setting up plugged in my PI 30 amp power manager and it was reading 255 volts.

Went to the office and the person came to my site and I showed her what it was saying. She called the owner of the campground and while he was on his way we tried it in different sites electrical boxes and the same reading every time. The owner tested the box at our site and it was reading 119 volts. Went ahead and set up camp and everything was fine.

Next morning called the number on the unit and the person answering the phone put me through to a tech and he said that this was a code that water had gotten into the box and that I would need to return it for repair.

I explained our situation and he sent me a new unit overnight by FedEx so that I would have a working unit for our trip.

Just wanted to let everyone know what great customer service I received.

Happy camping!
__________________

__________________


Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 34
I haven't had to deal with customer service, but I sure will vouch for the PI PT 30 EMS. I ordered right before our first outing with our new trailer. These things are great. We were in a newly remodeled section of a Texas State Park, so we didn't have any problem at the power pole, but had there been, this protector would have done just what it was designed to do. It's nice to watch the readout as it goes through the display of voltage, hertz, and actual amperage use, and error codes, if any. Anyone that doesn't have a surge protector of one brand or another sure needs to get one. And I highly recommend the Progressive Industries brand. I will never camp without it.
__________________

__________________
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
HONDAMAN174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Big brown desert
Posts: 2,318
Careful- may find yourself mesmerized by the display and constantly watching it!
__________________
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Careful- may find yourself mesmerized by the display and constantly watching it!
LOL !! Hondaman, you're absolutely right !! It's fascinating to see the voltage change and the amperage usage change. BTW, I also drive a Toyota Tundra. A 2014 SR5 and my wife drives a 2012 Honda Accord coupe v6. We had a Honda Ridgeline for our smaller trailer, but had to move up with the bigger trailer. I miss that Ridgeline, that was a really fine truck. Thanks and travel safe.
__________________
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 144
I'll second that. I had a 30 AMP Progressive unit. One of the plug prongs was loose. Progressive replaced it immediately with a return prepaid sticker. My unit saved my rig during an electrical storm in Oklahoma last summer and detected open grinds at campsites twice. I'm sold even though pricy.
__________________
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
leefl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 454
Good to hear. I just bought one of the internal hard-wired Progressive surge protectors, the EMS-HW30C, but haven't installed it yet.

I'm planning to install this weekend, but am not sure where to install, since I don't recall the power cable routing in the 5er.

If anyone has installed one of these in a Forest River Rockwood UltraLite fifth wheel, could you let me know how/where you installed it. Would be most helpful.
(I'm guessing most models will have similar power cable routing, but mine's the 8281WS).

Thanks
__________________
2015 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8281WS
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat CrewCab, 4x4, 6.2L V8
leefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
A little late posting this, but just got back from a month long camping trip out west.

Three days before we were leaving on this trip, DW and I took our MH out for the weekend just to run through everything one last time before departure.

We camped at a campground we had camped at previously even the same site. Arrived latter than planned and it was dark when we arrived. Got out and before setting up plugged in my PI 30 amp power manager and it was reading 255 volts.

Went to the office and the person came to my site and I showed her what it was saying. She called the owner of the campground and while he was on his way we tried it in different sites electrical boxes and the same reading every time. The owner tested the box at our site and it was reading 119 volts. Went ahead and set up camp and everything was fine.

Next morning called the number on the unit and the person answering the phone put me through to a tech and he said that this was a code that water had gotten into the box and that I would need to return it for repair.

I explained our situation and he sent me a new unit overnight by FedEx so that I would have a working unit for our trip.

Just wanted to let everyone know what great customer service I received.

Happy camping!
Did you use it even though it was reading (255V)? Are they made to use (Outside)? If so how did water get in? Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
geezer with gadgets
 
757Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Did you use it even though it was reading (255V)? Are they made to use (Outside)? If so how did water get in? Youroo!!
No, I did not use the box that weekend. I just plugged into the campground outlet box and all was well.

They say they are weather resistant. I did use it outside once when it was raining. I've only had it since April. Guess I had a bad one. Now I only use it on an extension cord and keep the box in the storage bay where the electrical cord is and plug the main cord into the PI box and the PI box into the extension cord. It worked fine while we were traveling.

Couple of nights there were thunderstorms with lots of lightning. Campground power would blink on and off, but the PI kept ours off until it was stable again.

Don't know if I answered your question, but still would not plug into a campground power outlet with out it.

__________________


Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
Member
 
ACE110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Good to hear. I just bought one of the internal hard-wired Progressive surge protectors, the EMS-HW30C, but haven't installed it yet.

I'm planning to install this weekend, but am not sure where to install, since I don't recall the power cable routing in the 5er.

If anyone has installed one of these in a Forest River Rockwood UltraLite fifth wheel, could you let me know how/where you installed it. Would be most helpful.
(I'm guessing most models will have similar power cable routing, but mine's the 8281WS).

Thanks
Don't know about the Rockwood, but in my Wildcat I removed the main electrical panel (with all the fuses) & installed it behind that, in the open space. The main entrance cable was right there where it entered the RV from the outside & fed the electrical panel. A fairly easy install with short piece of electrical cable.
__________________
2012 Forest River Wildcat 313RE
2012 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
Demco Hijacker 18K Autoslide Hitch
BAK Roll-X Tonneau Cover
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
leefl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE110 View Post
Don't know about the Rockwood, but in my Wildcat I removed the main electrical panel (with all the fuses) & installed it behind that, in the open space. The main entrance cable was right there where it entered the RV from the outside & fed the electrical panel. A fairly easy install with short piece of electrical cable.
Installed the surge protector this morning. Thanks for the suggestion about putting it behind the electrical panel.

On my Rockwood the actual cable entrance is in a small cupboard underneath the TV center, but the space there was pretty limited, but the power cable is then routed to the electrical panel which is under the fridge, and I was able to install it there with no issues. There was even enough loose cable to not need the extra 3ft of cable that I just bought from Lowes (oh well, I wasted a whole $5, nevermind).

I haven't properly fixed it down yet. I think I'm going to just use a couple of adhesive/velcro strips rather than screwing it down, since getting a screwdriver in there might be tricky.
I also need to drill a small hole to run the cable through for the separate display module.

Did you cover the display ?
I read that the switch turns protection on/off, not just turning the display on/off, so I'll need to mask over the display to stop it from being annoying/distracting
__________________

__________________
2015 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8281WS
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat CrewCab, 4x4, 6.2L V8
leefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.