Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
geezer with gadgets

Shout Out to Progressive Industries

A little late posting this, but just got back from a month long camping trip out west.

Three days before we were leaving on this trip, DW and I took our MH out for the weekend just to run through everything one last time before departure.

We camped at a campground we had camped at previously even the same site. Arrived latter than planned and it was dark when we arrived. Got out and before setting up plugged in my PI 30 amp power manager and it was reading 255 volts.

Went to the office and the person came to my site and I showed her what it was saying. She called the owner of the campground and while he was on his way we tried it in different sites electrical boxes and the same reading every time. The owner tested the box at our site and it was reading 119 volts. Went ahead and set up camp and everything was fine.

Next morning called the number on the unit and the person answering the phone put me through to a tech and he said that this was a code that water had gotten into the box and that I would need to return it for repair.

I explained our situation and he sent me a new unit overnight by FedEx so that I would have a working unit for our trip.

Just wanted to let everyone know what great customer service I received.

Happy camping!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

I haven't had to deal with customer service, but I sure will vouch for the PI PT 30 EMS. I ordered right before our first outing with our new trailer. These things are great. We were in a newly remodeled section of a Texas State Park, so we didn't have any problem at the power pole, but had there been, this protector would have done just what it was designed to do. It's nice to watch the readout as it goes through the display of voltage, hertz, and actual amperage use, and error codes, if any. Anyone that doesn't have a surge protector of one brand or another sure needs to get one. And I highly recommend the Progressive Industries brand. I will never camp without it.
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #3

Careful- may find yourself mesmerized by the display and constantly watching it!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Careful- may find yourself mesmerized by the display and constantly watching it!
LOL !! Hondaman, you're absolutely right !! It's fascinating to see the voltage change and the amperage usage change. BTW, I also drive a Toyota Tundra. A 2014 SR5 and my wife drives a 2012 Honda Accord coupe v6. We had a Honda Ridgeline for our smaller trailer, but had to move up with the bigger trailer. I miss that Ridgeline, that was a really fine truck. Thanks and travel safe.
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #5

I'll second that. I had a 30 AMP Progressive unit. One of the plug prongs was loose. Progressive replaced it immediately with a return prepaid sticker. My unit saved my rig during an electrical storm in Oklahoma last summer and detected open grinds at campsites twice. I'm sold even though pricy.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

Good to hear. I just bought one of the internal hard-wired Progressive surge protectors, the EMS-HW30C, but haven't installed it yet.

I'm planning to install this weekend, but am not sure where to install, since I don't recall the power cable routing in the 5er.

If anyone has installed one of these in a Forest River Rockwood UltraLite fifth wheel, could you let me know how/where you installed it. Would be most helpful.
(I'm guessing most models will have similar power cable routing, but mine's the 8281WS).

Thanks
Old 07-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
A little late posting this, but just got back from a month long camping trip out west.

Three days before we were leaving on this trip, DW and I took our MH out for the weekend just to run through everything one last time before departure.

We camped at a campground we had camped at previously even the same site. Arrived latter than planned and it was dark when we arrived. Got out and before setting up plugged in my PI 30 amp power manager and it was reading 255 volts.

Went to the office and the person came to my site and I showed her what it was saying. She called the owner of the campground and while he was on his way we tried it in different sites electrical boxes and the same reading every time. The owner tested the box at our site and it was reading 119 volts. Went ahead and set up camp and everything was fine.

Next morning called the number on the unit and the person answering the phone put me through to a tech and he said that this was a code that water had gotten into the box and that I would need to return it for repair.

I explained our situation and he sent me a new unit overnight by FedEx so that I would have a working unit for our trip.

Just wanted to let everyone know what great customer service I received.

Happy camping!
Did you use it even though it was reading (255V)? Are they made to use (Outside)? If so how did water get in? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Did you use it even though it was reading (255V)? Are they made to use (Outside)? If so how did water get in? Youroo!!
No, I did not use the box that weekend. I just plugged into the campground outlet box and all was well.

They say they are weather resistant. I did use it outside once when it was raining. I've only had it since April. Guess I had a bad one. Now I only use it on an extension cord and keep the box in the storage bay where the electrical cord is and plug the main cord into the PI box and the PI box into the extension cord. It worked fine while we were traveling.

Couple of nights there were thunderstorms with lots of lightning. Campground power would blink on and off, but the PI kept ours off until it was stable again.

Don't know if I answered your question, but still would not plug into a campground power outlet with out it.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Good to hear. I just bought one of the internal hard-wired Progressive surge protectors, the EMS-HW30C, but haven't installed it yet.

I'm planning to install this weekend, but am not sure where to install, since I don't recall the power cable routing in the 5er.

If anyone has installed one of these in a Forest River Rockwood UltraLite fifth wheel, could you let me know how/where you installed it. Would be most helpful.
(I'm guessing most models will have similar power cable routing, but mine's the 8281WS).

Thanks
Don't know about the Rockwood, but in my Wildcat I removed the main electrical panel (with all the fuses) & installed it behind that, in the open space. The main entrance cable was right there where it entered the RV from the outside & fed the electrical panel. A fairly easy install with short piece of electrical cable.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE110 View Post
Don't know about the Rockwood, but in my Wildcat I removed the main electrical panel (with all the fuses) & installed it behind that, in the open space. The main entrance cable was right there where it entered the RV from the outside & fed the electrical panel. A fairly easy install with short piece of electrical cable.
Installed the surge protector this morning. Thanks for the suggestion about putting it behind the electrical panel.

On my Rockwood the actual cable entrance is in a small cupboard underneath the TV center, but the space there was pretty limited, but the power cable is then routed to the electrical panel which is under the fridge, and I was able to install it there with no issues. There was even enough loose cable to not need the extra 3ft of cable that I just bought from Lowes (oh well, I wasted a whole $5, nevermind).

I haven't properly fixed it down yet. I think I'm going to just use a couple of adhesive/velcro strips rather than screwing it down, since getting a screwdriver in there might be tricky.
I also need to drill a small hole to run the cable through for the separate display module.

Did you cover the display ?
I read that the switch turns protection on/off, not just turning the display on/off, so I'll need to mask over the display to stop it from being annoying/distracting
Old 08-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #11

I love mine.
Attached Files

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Installed the surge protector this morning. Thanks for the suggestion about putting it behind the electrical panel.

On my Rockwood the actual cable entrance is in a small cupboard underneath the TV center, but the space there was pretty limited, but the power cable is then routed to the electrical panel which is under the fridge, and I was able to install it there with no issues. There was even enough loose cable to not need the extra 3ft of cable that I just bought from Lowes (oh well, I wasted a whole $5, nevermind).

I haven't properly fixed it down yet. I think I'm going to just use a couple of adhesive/velcro strips rather than screwing it down, since getting a screwdriver in there might be tricky.
I also need to drill a small hole to run the cable through for the separate display module.

I read that the switch turns protection on/off, not just turning the display on/off, so I'll need to mask over the display to stop it from being annoying/distracting
I did not cover the display. It is somewhat annoying, but not to bad, since I mounted it down low (by the electrical panel). I do find myself looking at it periodically just to check the voltage. I wanted to put the display in the panel with slide switches, awning, etc. but that is a long run. Maybe some day. Glad you got it mounted ok, as it sure gives you a sense of security.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #13

Yeah, I wouldn't even know how to get the cable over there neatly
leefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #14

Thats why I put mine in the cabinet - I can check on it every time I grab a snack!

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Quote:
NOTE: Should you require a longer data link cable Progressive Industries can customer make a size to your specifications. Please call for pricing.

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
Thats why I put mine in the cabinet - I can check on it every time I grab a snack!
Not sure there's any cabinet nearby that I could easily route a cable into, from behind the power panel, but I'll take a look next week when picking up the 5er for a trip
Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:

Thanks
we installed one in the 2012 Salem with about 1 hour of my time. Saved my bacon several times and we now have ordered another unit for our second trailer. now to locate the best place for it to go.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #17

Quote:

Maybe I missed the part about "turning off the dislay turns off protection". I don't believe it does that. When I leave my 5er (in seasonial site) I usually turn off the display. I have come back the following weekend and have had an error code (low voltage) displayed when I turn the display back on. I have to go out and turn off the 50Amp breaker , then turn it back on, clears the code. I may be wrong but I believe the protection remains in effect regardless of display ON or OFF. At least I hope so....
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Maybe I missed the part about "turning off the dislay turns off protection". I don't believe it does that. When I leave my 5er (in seasonial site) I usually turn off the display. I have come back the following weekend and have had an error code (low voltage) displayed when I turn the display back on. I have to go out and turn off the 50Amp breaker , then turn it back on, clears the code. I may be wrong but I believe the protection remains in effect regardless of display ON or OFF. At least I hope so....
Just got back from first trip with new fifth wheel, and with the progressive surge protector installed. All seemed good.
I might have to check with progressive, since I hoped that the switch was just for the display and not for protection, but left it switched on this trip just to be on the safe side ;-)
Old 08-10-2015, 06:45 AM   #19

the remote display only lets you know whats going on. unit still works if thats turned off.