Old 09-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #1

Since FR does NOT offer an extended warranty anymore, which 3rd party option is best?

Hi all,

Newb here in Branford, CT with a 2018 I just purchased in mid-July. My new Cherokee Grey Wolf is a follow up to my 1999 Palomino Filly popup and I'm loving the upgrade.

First, many thanks to these forums for the toy-hauler-load of valuable info I've found here and used so far over the past couple of months.

So, my Norcold N611VRW6 refer most likely has a bad power board (blows fuses but does not trip breaker, won't turn on for LP or AC). I tried to find a mobile service to make the repair b/c closest Norcold authorized repair shop or FR dealer is like an hour away, and, time is tight as the date for my next trip salmon fishing up near Lake Ontario is in less than 2 weeks. I'm pretty handy and have some experience with electronics and I've narrowed down the problem to the refer power board (part #628661).

I decided not to be afraid to nullify the warranty by taking on this repair myself - a mobile service (if one ever returns my call for service on the CT shoreline midstate) will probably charge me more for the service call than the cost of the $120 replacement part on Amazon Prime, so, I ordered the part because I just don't have any more time to invest in solving this problem.

Since I've been wondering not only about options for this repair but have also been wondering about which extended warranty to get, and, since I had read more than once in this forum that FR offered an extended 2nd year warranty (I never heard about from my out-of-state dealer), I decide it was time to contact FR.

I called Kaitlin at FR customer service this morning and explained my circumstances. She totally understood. First, she told me that FR stopped offering their extended warranty in I believe she said this past May. Second, she said she could file a warranty claim if I sent her the Amazon receipt for the replacement power board with pics after I make the repair (guess I'll shoot pics of the bad board with the new board installed).

Kaitlin could not guarantee that I would be reimbursed by the FR warranty department but she seemed hopeful.

So, just in case my next warranty repair is something bigger than I want to risk repairing myself, which extended warranties offer the best service overall? One local RV dealer/repair shop option tried to steer me toward Easy Care. I'd like to hear about more this and other options from people who have had success (or failure) with extended warranty service for FR products like mine.

Thanks in advance,

CTSS

CT Sound Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #2

time is tight as the date for my next trip salmon fishing up near Lake Ontario is in less than 2 weeks.

THANKS... rub that in Some of us have to work

I decided not to be afraid to nullify the warranty by taking on this repair myself -

How do they know who worked on it? .... could have been a mobile repair tech you paid on a Sunday to help ensure the health and safety of your FAMILY.

Good luck and congratulations on your new rig.

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
time is tight as the date for my next trip salmon fishing up near Lake Ontario is in less than 2 weeks.

THANKS... rub that in Some of us have to work

I decided not to be afraid to nullify the warranty by taking on this repair myself -

How do they know who worked on it? .... could have been a mobile repair tech you paid on a Sunday to help ensure the health and safety of your FAMILY.

Good luck and congratulations on your new rig.
LOL! I also thought, if my repair doesn't work, I can always put everything back, just like I found it... and then get "authorized" help.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #4

Update:

I realized fuse kept blowing even after I isolated the fridge so I figured there was a short in the refer power line to the converter. This kind of repair was worthy of warranty assistance. I took it to dealership this morning and luckily service manager put a mechanic right on it. Tech replaced shorted line that had apparently been stapled through in production. As it turns out, power board to fridge was OK.
Situation was repaired in about an hour. Thanks to Van's RV in CT.
I'd still like some feedback on extended warranties if people care to share.

Thanks,

CTSS
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #5

I got/bought/accepted the Extraride warranty. I haven't used it and may not ever. They offered 3 and ended with 5 or 6 extra(God I am old) years for the same money as they kept enticing me to get. Hmmmm I wonder why. It is cancellable at any time for a $125 charge. I figured as much trouble as some people have(and we bought 900 miles from home) it was needed. The RV is now 9 months old and I would be looking at end of OEM warranty.

Several people on FRF say it's a good deal, some say waste of money, but I only recall one person that was unhappy with their services(I think they were not pre-approved) on the repair.

If you need it and it pays...you got a good deal. If you don't use it or it doesn't pay...you won't be happy. The more crap on your rv..the more you might need it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #6

Sent you a private message aboyt FR warranty

Let me know how you do with FR.
Thanks
radio flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #7

Forest River warranty

I added my second year warranty through forest river in june of this year and had no problem and my neighbor added his in july,we both have flagstaffs
godlobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by godlobbin View Post
I added my second year warranty through forest river in june of this year and had no problem and my neighbor added his in july,we both have flagstaffs
Looks like you and your friend got in before FR quit offering the 2nd year warranty......
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #9

I had a five year XtraRide Platinum policy. Was worth every cent. We used it all over the country and definitely got our money's worth. Last time we used it, it covered r&r of a complete level up jack, hydraulic hose, and all the slide seals. Used independents when we could.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #10

Have never bought an extended warranty in my life, on anything.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
jkoenig24

There's a reason that dealers push SO hard to sell "extended warranties" EWs are HUGE money makers for them. I don't believe Forest River or the selling dealer send in any of the warranty cards. Start with that. Most (all?) "extended warranties" are NOT true warranties. Most (all?) are "service contracts" often with LOTS of exceptions and, most (all?) will set you back thousands of dollars. Then add the "gotchas". Read the fine print VERY carefully. Are you required pay for an "annual inspection/service"? If so, expect that to be expensive. Miss a required service and, you've given them an out to deny a claim (if the company is even still in business). I took those thousands of dollars and banked it. In effect, I'm SELF-insured. Any $$$$ that I don't need to spend, I get to keep. I realize that some people will not be comfortable doing it that way and, WILL spend the big bucks a service contract will cost. Just be SURE to KNOW all of the limitations you're signing up for BEFORE you write that big check! Keep in mind ALL companies that sell this "protection" have "poster children" who they claim have benefitted greatly by having purchased a service contract. Spend some time online Googling and searching forums and, you read LOTS of posts from folks who didn't get "poster child" status. Those are the ones I would listen to.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
WaitnToRide

Extended Warranty

We normally don't purchase extended warranties for anything but we did from WholeSale Warranties for our 5th wheel as did a friend for his motor home. I used it once with no issues whatsoever for the air conditioner. My friend used it for his his diesel pusher for a very expensive problem and he didn't have a problem either. Not saying you should or shouldn't, just relaying our experiences.
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Only extended warranty I bought was the 2nd year from FR Never used it. If it had not been cheap I would never had bought it. It was the only extended one Ive ever bought and don't see buying any in the future for anything. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #14

Thanks to all who replied especially those who suggested contacting FR warranty dept about the 2nd year extended warranty - I left a message this afternoon - waiting to hear back.
Truth is that I did start talking to the dealer about the toy hauler back in April.

I will let everyone know how I do.

Still like to see whatever info and experience others have had with 3rd party options out beyond 2 years. Anyone try that Easy Care or anything else they like/dislike?

Thanks for the help,

CTSS
Old 09-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #15

Extended warrenty

Quote:
Lucky man
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #16

Quote:
That could be a good thing, or a bad thing
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #17

I used to never buy them either. Then I got a truck with more electronic sensors and readouts than the Apollo 13. Then I got a camper that I knew nothing about. So I got extended warranty on both. I have Preserve for the camper, but have not used it. I have used FR/CC warranty often, and am in month 17 of 2 year warranty.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #18

warranty contract

Star RV is the one the dealer signed me up with. Had several issues at different times and they never paid for anything. Do not ever buy extended warranty but got caught at a weak moment and succumbed to their temptation. I would like to go into detail with this message but it would take all day. Just know that if you have an issue they will find any excuse not to pay. Once it was on a Sunday and no one would answer the hot line so I had to call someone out to help. When I turned in the bill it was dismissed because of no preauthorization. Got dismissed a couple other times so I discontinued the service contract. It took a lot of effort and time to get some of my money back. In my view they are mostly crooks. Finance your own warranty and you will at least not have to fight with these locusts.

2014 Georgetown XL
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #19

They said, "No".

Update:

FR customer service said they would NOT offer me the 2nd year option because I purchased after May 1st. They said they have not offered it to anyone after that date.
I'm leaning toward not getting anything extended.
I think the smartest thing is to use my new toy hauler as much as I can the first year. My wife and I are planning our trip from Connecticut to Glacier National Park and maybe Yellowstone next June - that'll be seven weeks before the 1st year warranty runs out.
The fact that most 2nd year options don't cover frame and roof issues makes me think that generally those aftermarket warranties are not worth what they charge.
I'm fairly resourceful and I'm not full-timing - I think I'll be OK. The service manager and tech at the dealership who fixed my recent Norcold issue confirmed that my troubleshooting was pretty good.

Thanks again for the feedback from everyone.

CTSS
Old 09-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #20
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Sound Shooter View Post
Update:

FR customer service said they would NOT offer me the 2nd year option because I purchased after May 1st. They said they have not offered it to anyone after that date.
I'm leaning toward not getting anything extended.
I think the smartest thing is to use my new toy hauler as much as I can the first year. My wife and I are planning our trip from Connecticut to Glacier National Park and maybe Yellowstone next June - that'll be seven weeks before the 1st year warranty runs out.
The fact that most 2nd year options don't cover frame and roof issues makes me think that generally those aftermarket warranties are not worth what they charge.
I'm fairly resourceful and I'm not full-timing - I think I'll be OK. The service manager and tech at the dealership who fixed my recent Norcold issue confirmed that my troubleshooting was pretty good.

Thanks again for the feedback from everyone.

CTSS
Something to consider when you go on the road next year, most FR dealers you may have to use for warranty work will put you at the end of the line and take care of the folks that bought from them. You better do as much camping now and get bugs worked out if you have them and your dealer will handle. They are not like car dealers. Later RJD

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty