Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #1

Small camper in our future

Hi folks, We are looking for a under 3000 empty weight camper to pull with our 2012 Grand Cherokee. I think I have narrowed it down to the Wolfpup 16FQ and the Rpod180. Both are Forest River but most dealers don't sell both, at least around here. I was leaning towards the Rpod but I saw a sales review on line that now shows the empty weight a 2900 lbs. I like the bed layout in the WP but it is a bit heavier and traditional construction. I am looking for any owners advice on either one. Both look like good units. Any thoughts?
mgbbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbbob View Post
Hi folks, We are looking for a under 3000 empty weight camper to pull with our 2012 Grand Cherokee. I think I have narrowed it down to the Wolfpup 16FQ and the Rpod180. Both are Forest River but most dealers don't sell both, at least around here. I was leaning towards the Rpod but I saw a sales review on line that now shows the empty weight a 2900 lbs. I like the bed layout in the WP but it is a bit heavier and traditional construction. I am looking for any owners advice on either one. Both look like good units. Any thoughts?
Our '17 16FQ is perfect for us. I wouldn't worry about a few hundred pounds here or there. The quality isn't the best but the price was right ~10K off the lot - $100/mo.

We're road rats -- just like being on the road. We overnight in Walmart parking lots. All we want is a place to get comfortable for the night without the complications of slide outs or having to convert something into a bed.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ns-130178.html
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #3

Wolfpup

Thanks, I think the Rpod is better construction but the price point is definitely a factor. I also like not needing for one person to crawl over the other in the middle of the night.
mgbbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #4

Forest River Shasta owner -

If you are looking at Forest River, you might want to look at the Shasta 18FQ

Our Shasta is 8ft across, which leaves space at the foot of the bed for me to get into bed next to the wall (we have the bunkhouse version). We passed on 7ft wide trailers for more room, and the Shasta has a lot of headroom. As far as quality, I think it is very good.

Not sure what you mean by empty weight, but ours has a UVW of 3,144 lbs. DH was a Dodge salesman and says a 5.7 or a diesel engine Grand Cerokee should pull the Shasta, but I am sure others will chime in. We pull it with a 1/2 ton Ram.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:40 AM   #5

A question about the R-pods. Are they bought for weight, length, width? If you can't get your rig in a spot narrower then the widest part, why waste about 10" each side with those fenders. Lots of 17, 18 and 19 foot trailers out there with the same dry weight with much more leg room inside. But, they are cute.
Ttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:00 AM   #6

The axles on the R-Pod are the same as on the more conventional travel trailers, so including the fenders the R-Pod is pretty much the same width as a Wolf Pup or similar. Obviously the body is narrower overall which makes the inside more cramped, but it helps with aerodynamic drag and it doesn't require tow mirrors. R-Pods are geared towards smaller tow vehicles, like mid-size trucks and SUVs.

I have an older (2014) Wolf Pup 16FB which is ~2 ft shorter and some 500 lbs lighter than the current 16FQ. But, it does have a full-size 60x80 queen bed which my 6'1" certainly appreciates, albeit at the cost of having the bed sideways.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper