Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 07:52 PM   #1

Surge Protection

I am fairly new at this and the DW asked about surge protection after searching reviews on the internet still confused are these things worth the investment? the best i can tell the less expensive units are worthless what do yall think
Thanks
JECRG
jec9017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

yes, the less expensive units are worthless. You want/need total protection from anything that you can and will encounter. The Progressive EMS series of units offers the most protection and the only brand with a lifetime warranty.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
yes, the less expensive units are worthless. You want/need total protection from anything that you can and will encounter. The Progressive EMS series of units offers the most protection and the only brand with a lifetime warranty.

X2

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Engine 5.7L Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

Stay with Progressive Ind best on the market
campingbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
X3, hooked up to a power box that had over voltage, installed the
one of Progressive EMS series units when i bought the trailer. It
saved me from a major electrical repair.

I will never own a trailer without a Progressive EMS series unit
installed in it.
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #6

Yep. Hardwired 50A on mine. I left it plugged in with the AC on two days ago. Noticed it had a PE6 flashing (line 2 low voltage). Told my wife and she said the power had pulsed a few times that morning...just enough to reboot a computer and reset one clock. Who knows? It might have saved my trailer AC from short cycling. Worth the money to not have to worry about it.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #7

Another vote for Progressive Industries. If you're going to do it, do it right the first time.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jec9017 View Post
I am fairly new at this and the DW asked about surge protection after searching reviews on the internet still confused are these things worth the investment?
Progressive Industries EMS...either hardwired or portable.
Don't think of it as an investment...think of it as insurance...and "don't leave home without it..."
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
sorry to inform you but the Camco line surge protectors also has a lifetime warranty for materials and workmanship.

Their 55301 30 AMP Power Defender Voltage Protector has a 2450 Joule rating while the Progressive industries EMS PT-30C only has a 1790 Joule rating.

The main thing everyone needs to know is the higher the joule rating the better.

The low voltage drop off on the Camco is a 102 while the power defender is a 104 which is negligable considering they are both within the UL listing required voltage range for electiric devices.

Amazon Prime price for the Camco 55301 is $199.95
Amazon Prime price for the Progressive Industries EMS PT-30C is $248.25

When comparing apples to apples, the Camco is by far the better deal
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #10

Camco made in China. Not sure if P.I. is or not.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Everything with Camco on it is a hit and miss product. Its just rebranded imported stuff. Some good, some not so much. I like the Camco deflappers and some of the sewer products but I have bought enough Camco stuff over the years to know I would never buy anything electronic with that name on it.

As far as Joules thats all a marketing ploy the same as decibel ratings on a genny. Their are many different methods/formulas used to come up with the number that go's into a specification or on a box. I'll believe one is better than the other when I know they used the same method to determine it.

If you want to be cheap, then be cheap. I have had PI stuff on 3 different trailers and now on the 4th. I wouldn't recommend anything else and their customer service is outstanding. Power Protection and electrical is Progressive Industries only business. They do not sell paper towel dispensers, garbage cans, patio mats, tacky lights, and toilet paper.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Everything with Camco on it is a hit and miss product. Its just rebranded imported stuff. Some good, some not so much. I like the Camco deflappers and some of the sewer products but I have bought enough Camco stuff over the years to know I would never buy anything electronic with that name on it.

As far as Joules thats all a marketing ploy the same as decibel ratings on a genny. Their are many different methods/formulas used to come up with the number that go's into a specification or on a box. I'll believe one is better than the other when I know they used the same method to determine it.

If you want to be cheap, then be cheap. I have had PI stuff on 3 different trailers and now on the 4th. I wouldn't recommend anything else and their customer service is outstanding. Power Protection and electrical is Progressive Industries only business. They do not sell paper towel dispensers, garbage cans, patio mats, tacky lights, and toilet paper.
X'2 and thanks for my morning laugh..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #13

Started with a SurgeGuard, ended up installing a hard wired Progressive and haven't look back. While some compare prices of different makes or models just remember you typically get what you pay for.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

Brand Progressive Industries
Item Weight 4 pounds
Product Dimensions 17.1 x 5.6 x 5.1 inches
Origin China
Item model number PT30C
Manufacturer Part Number PT30C
Folding No

So much for Progressive being an American made product
anymore, now who has the last laugh?
Old 07-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
X'2 and thanks for my morning laugh..
Please do not mislead fellow RVers by saying that Joules is just a marketing ploy for it isn't, Just like a circuit breaker, each are designed to operate effectively a set number of times. When it comes to a surge protector, the higher the joule rating, the more times the surge protector will handle an over or under voltage condition.. maybe you are loyal to a specific brand even though it has a lower joule rating and a higher price but I will choose the product that offers the most most protection the most number of times.

now who has the last laugh?
Old 07-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Item Weight 4 pounds
Origin China
Item model number PT30C
Folding No

As I said, I didn't know.

For sure, do get something that protects your unit.........

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #17
Some guy in back...

I'll be the dissenter here...In 20 years of RV travel in California, the West Coast and across the country, through six different rigs, I have never used or needed to use any power protection device. Granted, I have not been to big rallies with questionable power, or skanky old campgrounds in the middle of Summer with everyone's AC going full blast or anything like that.

But: Some people swear by them, just not everyone. I do not think they are essential. To me, the risk is very low. YMMV-Good Luck!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
I'll be the dissenter here...In 20 years of RV travel in California, the West Coast and across the country, through six different rigs, I have never used or needed to use any power protection device. Granted, I have not been to big rallies with questionable power, or skanky old campgrounds in the middle of Summer with everyone's AC going full blast or anything like that.

But: Some people swear by them, just not everyone. I do not think they are essential. To me, the risk is very low. YMMV-Good Luck!
Well, I get that........

but........

I haven't ever had to use my life insurance yet, either! But I still have it...LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Item Weight 4 pounds
Origin China
Item model number PT30C
Folding No

Quote:
When it comes to a surge protector, the higher the joule rating, the more times the surge protector will handle an over or under voltage condition.. maybe you are loyal to a specific brand even though it has a lower joule rating and a higher price but I will choose the product that offers the most most protection the most number of times.

now who has the last laugh?
Won't matter the Joule rating after a lightning strike. They're both probably toast.

Now, I think whatever online retailer the origin info came from is wrong. PI's website states they are made in the US.

Just glancing at the two units, it looks like the PI model has a number of features the Camco doesn't (but not a lot) for the price difference. It has digital amp and volt readouts, error codes (current and previous ) and, if it's like my hardwired unit, the surge board is removable and can be replaced without having to buy a new unit which is much cheaper. I believe it also kills power for open neutral/ground and reverse polarity, whereas the Camco shuts down for over/under voltage and just warns for the rest. It's a little more expensive, but has a few more bells and whistles.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #20

My P.I. will not even feed juice if it's an open ground........

and again, I know nothing about the other unit, not trying to compare.

FROG AR-0019-242