Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #21

I have a TailGater and used it a lot until I changed to Direct, it worked great. I have a brand new Dish receiver plus the tripod and a lock for the TailGater. The Cedar Creek came with the new Dish receiver but we switched from Dish to Direct at home so we couldn't use the TailGater anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Pay attention! The "month to month" service I signed up for disappeared around month three. Then Dish started charging me $5/month when I wasn't using their service. Dish also jumped the monthly fee almost $15! I've spoken with lots of other RVers who had the same thing happen to them (this was back in mid-2014). My experience is that Dish can NOT be trusted.

I suspect you paused you account. What you need to do is close the account then start it back up. No charge that way. It worked for me before I went full time.

Brandi

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #23
jkoenig24

mzbrandi, I never "paused" Dish service; I simply stopped using Dish when I wasn't on the road (RV parked in my back yard). I did what my salesman told me to do. When I signed up, I was not told that I needed to "close" the account. When I called to question the new charges, Dish service billing people had the attitude "this is what we charge", NOT that the customer has to jump through hoops to get what the salesman said he'd get. At the Hershey, PA RV Show in 2015, I spoke to Dish reps. They confirmed that there had been a "disconnect" between sales and billing and, acknowledged that many people had been treated as I had been (it sounded like Dish's sales force and billing department received training/instructions that were contradictory). NO attempt on the part of those Dish reps to correct the screwing I received, hence my warning post here. An In-Motion satellite dish was OEM on my Dynamax DX3-37RB. That's the only reason I signed up in the first place. I've already paid for TWO Dish receivers (and still have them). While I am NOT averse to re-signing with Dish, Dish MUST first correct the screwing they gave me. If special steps need to be taken by any customer to receive the service and benefits promised at the time of the sale, then ALL the necessary information MUST be provided to the customer AT THE TIME OF SIGN UP; not months later. It is NOT the customer's job to decipher any company's arcane billing structure. Fortunately, I can make do with OTA TV and the content I pre-record on my computer before I hit the road. Satellite service is just an added expense I can take or leave. For all the folks who have had a good experience with Dish, that's good for them. I and many others I have spoken with were not so lucky. My warning for Buyer Beware still stands; especially when dealing with Dish network.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #24

I got the Tailgaters and 211 receiver with 50 feet of cable for $199. I had to agree to a two year plan. But they have let us turn off the service for many months and you pay a $5 or $6 per month for that. It only takes about 10 minutes to get a signal and we have been pleased with the service. Down side is that it will only do one tv.
I was able to get it for the $199 because it was shipped from a Florida Dish dealer and was on special. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #25

Dish pay as you go is easy to use. Pay for a month and use a month. Don't pay the next bill and service is disconnected automatically. Cancel in the middle of the month with money in your account and they will charge you 5 bucks month. Read the description online, it says to not pay the next bill to terminate service. It is not designed for weekend campers. I have used it on the road for the last 4 summers without issue or additional fees.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
mzbrandi, I never "paused" Dish service; I simply stopped using Dish when I wasn't on the road (RV parked in my back yard). I did what my salesman told me to do. When I signed up, I was not told that I needed to "close" the account. When I called to question the new charges, Dish service billing people had the attitude "this is what we charge", NOT that the customer has to jump through hoops to get what the salesman said he'd get. At the Hershey, PA RV Show in 2015, I spoke to Dish reps. They confirmed that there had been a "disconnect" between sales and billing and, acknowledged that many people had been treated as I had been (it sounded like Dish's sales force and billing department received training/instructions that were contradictory). NO attempt on the part of those Dish reps to correct the screwing I received, hence my warning post here. An In-Motion satellite dish was OEM on my Dynamax DX3-37RB. That's the only reason I signed up in the first place. I've already paid for TWO Dish receivers (and still have them). While I am NOT averse to re-signing with Dish, Dish MUST first correct the screwing they gave me. If special steps need to be taken by any customer to receive the service and benefits promised at the time of the sale, then ALL the necessary information MUST be provided to the customer AT THE TIME OF SIGN UP; not months later. It is NOT the customer's job to decipher any company's arcane billing structure. Fortunately, I can make do with OTA TV and the content I pre-record on my computer before I hit the road. Satellite service is just an added expense I can take or leave. For all the folks who have had a good experience with Dish, that's good for them. I and many others I have spoken with were not so lucky. My warning for Buyer Beware still stands; especially when dealing with Dish network.

I got treated the same by Dish. Dish reps. Didn't care. Shame on them.

Brandi

mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
I got treated the same by Dish. Dish reps. Didn't care. Shame on them.

Brandi

That's all good to feel that way but having been a customer of both DNW and DTV since they came on the scene, and jumping back and forth between them a few times over the years with my home service, your not getting anything better in the customer service and billing departments with DTV.....Add to that now that AT&T is in the mix with DTV and it's only a matter of time before they get exponentially worse IMO having had the distinct displeasure of dealing with AT&T.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #28

When we travel, we disconnect our Dish receiver from home and take it with us. I use a tripod and a 1000.2 antenna.

Although not as convenient as the dishes that automatically find the sats. I normally can be up and running in about the same time as the automatic antennas.

Using our home Dishnet receiver while on the road | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 01-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #29

Does anyone know about the new Wally. I have heard that unlike the 211 it must find all three sats to work at all unlike the 211 that will work on two sats if it can't find the third. It was discussed in another thread stating it was a software issue being worked on
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Have to agree, going on 9 years. If your going to have problems with Dish wait until DTV, or Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, Time Warner, or a whole host of others gets done with the shell games LOL.

Jmsx2, just make sure the receiver is a purchased receiver when buying used and not a leased one as well as having a free and clean billing history. Plenty of people get left holding the bag with used receivers. A 211K can be had from an authorized seller for less than $90.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forest River Forums mobile app

Great information. Glad you shared that with me. I'm hoping the guy still has it. Thanks again everyone

John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (Toad)

2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #31

This subject keeps coming up........understandably so. It boils down to 3 arguments:

-Why do you crazy people want tv at all? (These are usually weekenders who aren't camping for 3 months at a time!!!)

-I don't have the problems with (Dish, Direct, Satellite acquisition, Pay as you Go accounts, etc etc etc etc) that you do. You must be doing something wrong.

-HD is too expensive and difficult and not available on an automatic dish setup, you don't really need it.

And I'm officially OUT on all 3 discussions from now on.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

-HD is too expensive and difficult and not available on an automatic dish setup, you don't really need it
We are discussing Dish tv, not Direct. HD IS available in Dish automatics. I'm one of the crazy folks who use it all the time... No problems. Have a nice day
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We are discussing Dish tv, not Direct. HD IS available in Dish automatics. I'm one of the crazy folks who use it all the time... No problems. Have a nice day
Thanks. It ain't bad so far.

Actually, the OP asked about tailgator dishes. That's all. I don't see a reference to either service.

But even so..........my comments are in general to these kind of discussions, and are my assessment of how they usually go.

For whatever that's worth....almost nothing.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks. It ain't bad so far.

Actually, the OP asked about tailgator dishes. That's all. I don't see a reference to either service.

But even so..........my comments are in general to these kind of discussions, and are my assessment of how they usually go.

For whatever that's worth....almost nothing.
Glad your day is going well! The OP did mention Tailgater which is only associated with Dish tv. There are other automatics for direct like king quest and king flex, but Tailgater is always Dish.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #35

Hmmm.

And you keep educating me. For that, I am grateful. You do well, I learn slowly.

But I have learned to stay out of these now! I do what I do, and have reasons for it. If anyone needs my help, I'm always available.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Hmmm.

And you keep educating me. For that, I am grateful. You do well, I learn slowly.

But I have learned to stay out of these now! I do what I do, and have reasons for it. If anyone needs my help, I'm always available.
LOL! I understand. I feel the same way about the tire and speed threads
Old 01-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #37

For what it's worth we had the Dish TailGater and it always worked great for us, the only reason we went to Direct was my landline telephone did not support Dish anymore. I just took the Dish receiver from my home. It has been awhile but I think I was able to get in the receiver and change the zip code from home and put in the zip code where I was camping at and my TailGater worked great. TailGater was just a little slow sometimes because it could only pick up one satellite at the time but that was only a few seconds. Dish TailGater always worked great for us

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote