Old 08-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #31

We are on our fourth and last fifth wheel. We retired 8 years ago and have enjoyed years of travel.. We have always negotiated an extended warranty.. For all the ones we received, we were able to take our fifth wheels to any authorized dealer or repair center. If you take it to a repair center, they (the center) love it.. They get paid on the spot by credit card and always a fair price.. Always worked for us..

RG Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #32

They will laugh at you and when you return for service it will be another story. More than likely, the same finance guy won’t be there any longer . The turnover at an RV
Dealership is quicker the pan full of pancakes. I worked for one for almost 3 months before I ran away. 95% of them are bold face liars. They make used car guys look like choir boys.

Bissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #33

Dealer

We just purchased our first ever tt
I felt like the dealer was fair and no pressure.
We love our trailer I just hope we don’t experience any issues to find out how long it will stay in for repairs.
So far so good.
Love this forum! I learn so much and enjoy everyone’s posts.
Don’t have a lot to add as of yet being a total newbie.
Thanks to everyone!
Cam3012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissel View Post
They will laugh at you and when you return for service it will be another story. More than likely, the same finance guy won’t be there any longer . The turnover at an RV
Dealership is quicker the pan full of pancakes. I worked for one for almost 3 months before I ran away. 95% of them are bold face liars. They make used car guys look like choir boys.
Really doesn't matter. Once the RV crosses the curb, it is solely the responsibility of the owner. Commonly known as the "Curb Law" in the business. No BBB, calling the attorney general, or anything else will work. You buy it and take it off the lot, it is your responsibility. If it were to break in half on the way home, you still own the two halves and it is still your responsibility. For some reason, folks have it in their minds that RV dealerships are like auto dealerships and are beholden to the OEM for the products they sell. That is a great misconception. Anyone can open a dealership on the nearest street corner and start selling RV from any brand.

One might have a good relationship with the dealer that they may have a leg up when it comes to future service, but in most cases, it is the simple "first come first served" game. And most RV manufacturers only have structural warranties. All the individual components (furnaces, water pumps, water heaters, refrigerators, etc) are warranted by those makers and they have to be contacted about warranty work.

Save yourself some time. If say your Dometic or Norcold fridge doesn't work. call the manufacturer directly, go thru the troubleshooting game with them, and if that doesn't resolve the problem, get pre-authorization for warranty work and go wherever you want to get it repaired, or better yet, have a mobile repair shop come to you. Get the parts yourself via the approval, or If it needs replaced get the component yourself, and either replace it yourself or have a shop do it. By contacting the manufacturer directly you will save yourself days in wasted time. After all, the shop will have to do this very thing with the component OEM, and it may be days before the shop gets around to going thru that ritual. Do it yourself and save the time.

Until the OEM warranty runs out on such things, the extended warranty is not in play usually. So the procedure would still be the same.

Just like all my other purchases from my lawn mowers on up thru my commercial trucks including personal vehicles, they only see a dealer shop as a last resort. A RV is no different.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #35

New dealer

After the issues we’ve had lately with our dealer I know what we should have looked and asked now. I also know we will not ever use this dealer again
ljbowser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #36

When we were shopping for 5th wheels a few years back, I happened to get the chance to talk to the serice manager and asked him about timeliness of warrantly repairs. He said per the owner, warranty repairs go to the back of the line because the reimbursment rate is generally less than a cash customer and they may have to wait for payment. I asked if this was true even for RVs purchased from them and he said yes. He said it's not the way he would do things, but that he was overulled by management. Needless to say, we didn't buy anything from them and wold not take anything there to be serviced.

Certainly not all dealers are like this, but there are some that prove the OP's point.
billr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #37

I know this thread is about the length of service appointments but I do have an experience with extended warranties. When I bought my pickup used the dealer offered the extended warranty, that I could cancel at any time for a pro-rated refund. I said no. Then he pulled the computer thing out of a drawer and said these cost bla bla bla and are the usual thing to go out. I said no. He reached into the drawer and pulled out a list of repairs that would be covered and how much to make each of those repairs. That's when the light bulb in my head went off! I said yes.

Two weeks later I called and canceled it. Since the cost was already a part of the financing they sent me a check for $3200. The truck I bought was a no frills Tradesman model. I used that money to buy a canopy, a lumber rack, had a brake controller and power locks installed. put air bags in the rear springs, installed fender flares and nerf bars. I still had enough $ to take the wife out for a nice dinner! Much better use of those funds than a warranty I'll never use.

_WW_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer