Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
DS ADV Rider

The cost of delamination?

We signed a deal to trade our '04 Grand Surveyor for a '12 Lacrosse 301RLS and will be taking the GS to the dealers early next week for appraisal (confirmation only, price already agreed) before picking up the new unit.

We haven't used the GS since March and we went to unload our "stuff" and were shocked to find that since we last used it that a small area of the ceiling has started to delaminate - presumably due to a water leak. We had absolutely no leaks after the dealer fixed them when we bought it 2 1/2 years ago and we completed this Trade-in Condition form as "No leaks, no delam". I told the dealer what I found yesterday and he says to bring it in and they will re-evaluate it. He says the deal will stand but we may be asked to pay more.

Has anyone experienced delamination and know if, and at what cost, it can be repaired?

We have a contract, but if I disagree with the extra price they want, it seems they can withold my deposit at their discretion. Is this usual?

Thanks.
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
We signed a deal to trade our '04 Grand Surveyor for a '12 Lacrosse 301RLS and will be taking the GS to the dealers early next week for appraisal (confirmation only, price already agreed) before picking up the new unit.

We haven't used the GS since March and we went to unload our "stuff" and were shocked to find that since we last used it that a small area of the ceiling has started to delaminate - presumably due to a water leak. We had absolutely no leaks after the dealer fixed them when we bought it 2 1/2 years ago and we completed this Trade-in Condition form as "No leaks, no delam". I told the dealer what I found yesterday and he says to bring it in and they will re-evaluate it. He says the deal will stand but we may be asked to pay more.

Has anyone experienced delamination and know if, and at what cost, it can be repaired?

We have a contract, but if I disagree with the extra price they want, it seems they can withold my deposit at their discretion. Is this usual?

Thanks.
Had similar roof leak in a Class C M/H. When I went to trade it in, it was noticed the fwd bed foundation over the cab was quite wet under the cushion. Not to say wet but more like water logged. It was agreed 1/2 of the decking would have to be renewed. Price was much better this condition than If I attempted to have it fixed retail. The dealer wants the trade as you want the trade up. We ageed to split the cost after a local RV repair estimated the job. Not too bad.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #3

If you don't agree with their price, you should be able to walk away without penalty. You simply cannot agree to anything open ended like that - it won't hold up.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #4

Unfortunately, you signed a deal with incorrect info, so the dealer kindof has you at a disadvantage. If the ceiling appears to have a leak, then there is damage, no way around that. As long as the dealer is reasonable, you should continue with the deal you struck, otherwise you will be stuck with the total bill for the repair.

What this situation does highlight is just how important it is to check the roof often for any signs of cracks in the sealant. There are so many places that water can get in, and it is amazing how much water can get in even the tiniest of holes/cracks. And I speak from unfortunate experience, as we owned an older fifth wheel that had not been sealed properly right from the factory. It was a wood/tin camper, so luckily I could work on it, but ended up replacing the bottom half of the whole back end. It was actually kindof fun, a real learning experience, but fixing the ceiling is a whole different ball game.

Good luck.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
DS ADV Rider

Thanks for the comments. The dealer inspected my trade-in yesterday and estimated the cost of repair to be $500-800. I was getting a substantial discount on the new trailer plus a good trade-in allowance so I went along with his suggestion that I pay an extra $400.

I pick up the new trailer later today ...
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #6

Sounds fair. You got lucky and found an honest dealer! Enjoy your new RV.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote