Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

The Difference between RV and BBQ Propane Tanks

I did a quick search because I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this; but why is there a huge difference in price between the propane tanks for BBQs and for an RV?

My new trailer came with a 20 pound tank; and I was thinking of bringing along a second one. It looks like the tanks at RV dealers are 2-3 times as much as what I can buy elsewhere.

Just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money; or making some sort of risk.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #2

The tanks are the same, meaning the same value, but you will be paying more at the dealer.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A propane tank is a propane tank. where you buy it and how much you spend doesn't matter, as long as it has the new valve in it, (required on all new tanks since 2000 or so). Dealers are trying to make money where they can, like car salesmen, extended warranties and accessories. You can get any legal propane tank and be fine. You can also buy a spare wheel and tire much cheaper sometimes.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #4

I meant to say "valve".
Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #5

Absolutely ZERO difference. I switch my gas grill and RV tanks on my Flagstaff around all the time. Get an extra at Sam's club...great prices. DON'T go to the 7-11 gas exchange cages in front of these stores- you only get 15 lbs. of gas for around 22.00! My local propane dealer fills my 20's for 14.00 each. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #6

Thanks guys. That is kinda funny because the guy doing my walkthrough said something about it being certified for transportation or something.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Thanks guys. That is kinda funny because the guy doing my walkthrough said something about it being certified for transportation or something.
He was correct -- partially. In fact they're called DOT cylinders because they have to be registered by the Department Of Transportation. BUT, so do the BBQ cylinders. If you look at the collar you'll see a DOT registration # on it.

Just for extra clarification, the permanently mounted tanks in motorhomes are not DOT registered but are ACME certified. You can find a U1 data plate on them.

Here's a good place to buy cylinders.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

You can probably get them at Home Depot. Our old TT came with a pair of 20 pounders and we took then off and use them as spares for the BBQ and bought a pair of 30lb ones and a cover for them.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #9

It’s nice to have a spare tank but storing another 20lb tank can be excessive depending on your camper.
I picked up a 5 lb cylinder from amazon.
For me it provides piece of mind without taking up a lot of room/weight.
It’s enough to get through most trips should I run out.

Check out these new tanks I recently ran across.
Lite Cylinder
They are near the top of my list for next year.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #10

It pays not to jump at the first price you see.

A couple years ago I went to Wal-Mart for a griddle for the camper.
In housewares they had one for $10.
I went back to the sporting goods dept & they had the same one marked as $12.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #11

I'm not sure I'd want to transport that Lite Cylinder very far. Something very unsettling about watching the propane splash around inside.

So I went and had another look at what my dealer gave me and compared it to my existing 20 pound tank; there's a red plastic thingy covering the valve that lets out the excess pressure. After seeing enough Mythbusters I think I'd rather have the propane burn off as opposed to having the tank explode in the event of a car crash.

Another odd thing- I couldn't find tanks at Home Depot; and when I asked the guy said they only sell the full ones.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #12

I have bought empty tanks at Sportsmen's Warehouse in the past along with the plastic tank bases, which are great for stabilizing the tanks when transporting them. Cabela's and Bass Pro also have tanks and these stores seem to be cheaper than the dealerships or Camping World.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #13

The newer style valves that have the proper forward threaded fitting have built in pressure relief valves built in to every new style valve. That was done for safety purposes, and every grille, camper, replacement tank, whatever uses propane must now by law have this type of valve on it. The gas companies are not allowed to refill a tank without this new type valve installed on it. What I'm saying is the tanks are the same. You buy whatever you want however, if it makes you feel safer! My 2 cents worth. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #14

Actually Randy I was agreeing with you; what the dealer tried to tell me was a "safety feature" actually made it sound like it would be less safe.

Tags
bbq