Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
Pfft my "camper mods and maintenance" alone cost more than staying in a hotel!!....its all the internets fault and forums like this for giving me ideas!!...i dont mind one bit....its a "hobby" I enjoy with my family...keep the mods coming !! ;-)
Hobbies...can be big money/time sucks but nobody puts a price on 'fun'! I have a friend that golfs...every weekend and goes to fla 3-4 times a year...another friend is a member of a country club - talk about expensive!

I have a customer that he and his fiance's hobbies are racing cars...and having spend 10+ years in the motorcycle biz I know quite a few people that have 40k+ in their bikes, spend a week at datyona and sturgis.

I feel downright cheap and thrifty now!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post

I have a customer that he and his fiance's hobbies are racing cars...and having spend 10+ years in the motorcycle biz I know quite a few people that have 40k+ in their bikes, spend a week at datyona and sturgis.

I feel downright cheap and thrifty now!
I'm in the motorcycle world and I agree. On the sport side of things it's really popular to take a 5X10 enclosed trailer, hang an AC unit and take that to the track. But they'll have $30K+ tied up in a bike, then leathers, tire budget, crash budget, track day fees on top of that.

I carried my bike to a track day with the camper in tow, got talking to a guy and he commented on how silly it was to spend that much money to sleep in the woods. I returned with how much he spends to ride in circles.

He cocked his head, said I was right and shook my hand.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #23

I've been justifying this lifestyle for over a decade now. Each time we 'trade-up' the math gets better! Kind of like the fish I caught last night that got away.

Started off with a 16ft single axle TT pulled by our family Mini-van... then as our family grew (both in quantity and bulk) we kept moving up as 'needed'. So, many fun times that none of us will forget. Sharing 180 sq feet of living space for weeks at a time... Makes you get along and build strong family bonds.

Cheaper than a divorce, heather than a drinking problem, and a whole lot more fun! Spend your money on what you want. Save the justification for the end...If your doing it right it will add up!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #24

The math says......

I will ask my husband.............when he gets up.
Juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #25

To one and all: Do not, I repeat do not, join TRA. You will regret it!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #26

Quote:
I carried my bike to a track day with the camper in tow, got talking to a guy and he commented on how silly it was to spend that much money to sleep in the woods. I returned with how much he spends to ride in circles.
Get a toy hauler and you can do both!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #27

Smile Expense tracking

I'm replying for my wife.
It's not an app although there is probably one available. I programmed an excel spreadsheet to track and calculate all our expenses. I compare each trip with traveling in a car, average hotel costs and eating out costs. It tracks all your expenses.
If your going to the Rally I will share this with you. If interested let me know so I can automate it to make using easier for you. Happy camping
Old 07-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
Texas Restaurant association?
If not then....
Old 07-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Explain pls.

We joined ROD (resorts of distinction). As a part timer..may or not be a good deal, a full timer it's a bargain.

The math: We bought in for a 10 year deal...$5500 up front and $300/year. So 11,500. Cost to camp - zero at any ROD resort. Our home resort is in an area where public CGs run $80-100/night.
A seasonal spot anywhere is $1000-2000 a season - we can leave our camper at our resort for $200 for the season.

All the activities are free. with kids that can add up quickly.

Divide it out and we spend $850/year to 'belong'. We're averaging 13 nights a year or $65/night. Not that bad IMO.

And we could full time and spend $0 more...the bargain of a lifetime IMO.

We have 5 years left on our contract...we can extend it to lifetime for $3k plus the 300/year...2 years ago I'd have said no..now? thinking it may be a quite a deal - one heck of a retirement deal!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #30

Ford Idaho: No, Travel Resorts of America. A lot of hidden "catches" that were not explained to us. Once you join, it's for life, conceivably, but we were fortunate enough to get out of our contract, with the help of our lawyer.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Ford Idaho: No, Travel Resorts of America. A lot of hidden "catches" that were not explained to us. Once you join, it's for life, conceivably, but we were fortunate enough to get out of our contract, with the help of our lawyer.
Ah, I Googled what you posted and I do not recall that ORG.

I belong to no clubs and plan to keep it that way.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #32

Google it again.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #33

We also deduct the interest on our TT loan as a mortgage on our vacation home.

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #34

The maths says camping IS more economical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
Anyone that uses a hotel had to get there somehow so you can't count the truck and my trailer has 100% more resale than any hotel and timeshares suck.

Sent from space

OT... But pretty broad statement about timeshares. If you do your homework, find a good price and buy where you want to stay, they can save you quite a bit of money. We own four... We take cheap vacations each year and will make a small profit on them when we decide to sell.
While camping is more economical for us than hotels, our timeshares are a big savings for us as well.

2014 Rockwood 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #35

Some of my friends think I am nuts...maybe I am but I have run the numbers every way possible. Other than the initial cost of the 5er and monthly insurance cost, we spend WAY less on vacation (including fuel) than we did prior to camping. Previously we would book a cabin or condo for vacations and honestly due to price, we would only go for about 4-5 days once a year. We've always taken food with us (eat out occasionally but most of the time prepare our own meals). Even with fuel cost, we come out ahead by staying in an RV park and towing our own bed. Plus we no longer have to board our dogs. Our vacations cost us so much less that we often stay 2 weeks at a time on the same amount of money plus we go often on weekend get-a-ways. We have been able to see and do so much more with more time...it was completely worth every penny of the 5er. While I do realize that it will take many years to make up the initial cost and by that time we will have probably spent even more on another unit, it us still worth it in my eyes.
ddschuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #36

Cool Dogs

Yeah, I forgot to mention we don't have the added expense of boarding our dog; plus she would usually not eat while boarded. And she loves to travel!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddschuman View Post
Some of my friends think I am nuts...maybe I am but I have run the numbers every way possible. Other than the initial cost of the 5er and monthly insurance cost, we spend WAY less on vacation (including fuel) than we did prior to camping. Previously we would book a cabin or condo for vacations and honestly due to price, we would only go for about 4-5 days once a year. We've always taken food with us (eat out occasionally but most of the time prepare our own meals). Even with fuel cost, we come out ahead by staying in an RV park and towing our own bed. Plus we no longer have to board our dogs. Our vacations cost us so much less that we often stay 2 weeks at a time on the same amount of money plus we go often on weekend get-a-ways. We have been able to see and do so much more with more time...it was completely worth every penny of the 5er. While I do realize that it will take many years to make up the initial cost and by that time we will have probably spent even more on another unit, it us still worth it in my eyes.
Yes, some of my friends think that I am nuts too when it comes to my camper and truck. However some have either asked to borrow or rent them. A big NO. We also use to rent a beach house for a week every year to the tune of about $5000 - $7000. I am sure that both sides of which is more economical can be argued. I know that I can camp at the beach and wherever and whenever else I want for the year cheaper that I can stay in a beach house for a week. Most everywhere people visit and or vacation, there is a campground near by. With all of my kids, a stop mid way to our destination would require us to get several rooms at a motel. At a campground most all of my kids can sleep in the camper. Not to mention all of the concern of the cleanliness of motel rooms, dirty sheets, bedbugs and whatever else. Who wants to put up with that? Also might I add that when your truck and camper are paid off you're even more money ahead.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #38

There is Pro's and Con's to both sides, All I see is you can not put a price on spending time with family, and the kid's grow up so quick.

RONN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Yes, some of my friends think that I am nuts too when it comes to my camper and truck. However some have either asked to borrow or rent them. A big NO. We also use to rent a beach house for a week every year to the tune of about $5000 - $7000. I am sure that both sides of which is more economical can be argued. I know that I can camp at the beach and wherever and whenever else I want for the year cheaper that I can stay in a beach house for a week. Most everywhere people visit and or vacation, there is a campground near by. With all of my kids, a stop mid way to our destination would require us to get several rooms at a motel. At a campground most all of my kids can sleep in the camper. Not to mention all of the concern of the cleanliness of motel rooms, dirty sheets, bedbugs and whatever else. Who wants to put up with that? Also might I add that when your truck and camper are paid off you're even more money ahead.

We would have our truck even if we didn't have the 5er so I don't even consider it in part of the cost. We routinely pull cattle trailers or flatbed trailers and have to have the truck.

I agree, no borrowing or renting of the 5er. We have been asked before but just can't allow it. Those asking do not have the truck or hitch so they'd have to borrow those too. As well, they do not have experience towing...just way too much to risk. I prefer if they want to go that they just come along with us on occasion.
ddschuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #40

Do you have a goose neck adapter on your 5er ? That's what I use on mine. My truck came with a goose neck hitch and was covered up with a bed liner. Didn't know it until I went to install a fifth wheel hitch. I have a Cody Cushion Hitch to use with it but it raises the front up to high. More weight distributed to the back two wheels of the camper.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping