Old 07-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
Prof Fate, are you a member of Travel Resorts which has the resort near Gettysburg? We did not join, but have 30 days of free camping which they seem to be honoring. If you are a TR member, do you think we could still book Gettysburg before school starts or is there a risk we would get bumped at the last minute due to members reserving spots? Thanks...

We are TRA members. Gettysburg battlefield resort is the TRA campground but resort of distinction members and coast to coast members as well as encore members are able to stay there. The 30 days free camping does not usually include weekends and is a little difficult to get time from what I understand (or cat least that's how sycamore lodge is). We are members at sycamore Loveland have trouble getting sites booked sometimes. My advice is to book now.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #12

You can't put a price on Family fun. The kids enjoy the camping more than we do. Sure there is the cost of the camper and the truck to pull it. But everyone has a hobby of sorts. Things that they invest their money into. It's not selfish if it is for the whole family. It is money well spent on memories that you can't really buy or put a price tag on.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #13

I made a spreadsheet before we jumped into camping... Because a TT has fixed costs whether we use it or not, we need to camp over 20 days to break-even vs. the same number of days vacationing in hotels we have booked in the past (located near family attractions)...

Because my wife & I both teach, we can camp enough to justify the fixed costs associated with owning a TT. In our case, we will spend about $6,500 per year for all costs related to owning a TT & 30 days of camping. (Equates to $217 per day for room, food, gas, activities, etc. for a family of 5 ...)

This factors-in our $188/mo. (used) TT payment & TT insurance but not our $219/mo. (used) Ram payment & insurance since the Ram is also my daily driver. However, because the Ram is my daily driver, I factored-in the extra $1,000 in fuel my Ram uses for my daily commute...

Fuel & TT repairs are the biggest unknowns & can really change how far we venture from home in years to come. However, we are definitely planning a trip out West in the next couple of years & IMO Yellowstone, etc. are must-do activities for every family that can afford to travel...
2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #14

I think if one were to look at all the numbers that come with RV ownership it pretty clearly is much more expensive in the short term. If you use it 2 weeks a year lets say it would be very hard to justify if you were an accountant....however as others have said you cant put a price on time with your family and seeing new things. Sure you can get all this by loading up the car and heading for the Hampton Inn, but if one were to lets say full time or spend a winter in AZ the costs quickly flip in favor of the RV.

I know that I likely will not break even and I for one don't care. Its worth it to me and my family to have a "place" of our own. Cant really ride bikes, grill out, fish, light a fire, enjoy a spring rain and get away from people in a hotel. Plus the hotel usually does not have a Bar

I grew up spending summers at Lake of the Ozarks and before we decided to spring for a RV we looked really hard at a place there and if you think RV's are expensive.... Plus I get better views with the camper!!!
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #15

Pfft my "camper mods and maintenance" alone cost more than staying in a hotel!!....its all the internets fault and forums like this for giving me ideas!!...i dont mind one bit....its a "hobby" I enjoy with my family...keep the mods coming !! ;-)
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Cost of ownership is huge in the actual scheme of things. If you don't take that into account, then you can get by cheaper, camping. My TT was $25K and I'm just about to spend $32K trading trucks... That would buy a LOT of hotel rooms, airfares, and meals out. RVing is more expensive. To those that enjoy it, it must be worth it.... 'cause we keep coming back!
Yes and no...
We paid 16k or so for our TT. If we sell it for 6k at 10 years old it cost $1200 a year to own (incl \insurance, mtce). If you camp 12 days a year that can be considered pricey..but you save on meals vs a hotel and camping includes 'activities' that you'd pay for if you hotel'd it all the time. So I think it's pretty close. If you camp 20 days a year you def come out a ahead.

As for the TV...we paid $32k for our 2013 sliverado new. I bought an outback in april and paid 27500 for it..but then I paid $27k for a minivan years ago too - so it's kinda a wash unless your TV is used ONLY for camping, then yes, it's pricey.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #17

To me it depends on how you do the math. Since I have to pay for the 5er whether I use it or not I just make that part of the household finances.

So a camping trip is cheaper than hotels even at 11mpg. If I had to factor in the payment? Not by a long shot over the course of the year. Figured in a monthly basis? Then yes.

It's all fuzzy, just go and have fun!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #18

When was the first/last time anyone had a H/Motel maid go thru your stuff while using a TT?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #19

My husband uses an app that tracks all our spending he agrees that camping is much more affordable than traveling by car/truck; sleeping in motels; eating at restaurants; etc. And we know whose sheets we are sleeping on and can choose our meals more economically.
Before we leave on an extended trip, our pantry, cupboards and fridge and freezer are packed full. We almost always bring food home. Plus we love meeting other campers.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
My husband uses an app that tracks all our spending he agrees that camping is much more affordable than traveling by car/truck; sleeping in motels; eating at restaurants; etc. And we know whose sheets we are sleeping on and can choose our meals more economically.

Before we leave on an extended trip, our pantry, cupboards and fridge and freezer are packed full. We almost always bring food home. Plus we love meeting other campers.

What app do you guys use?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping