Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightlinespeed View Post
We are are in our late 30's thinking of downsizing from our Grey Wolf 22MSKE TT only after 1 year of ownership. We bought it with the thought of our teenage daughter camping with us (which she has, but will soon be off doing her own thing). As well as having others join us. We've only had 1 other time guest's have joined us.

While camping this past week, and sitting inside playing cards during a rain storm, we started thinking about all of the wasted space the double bunks are. Which got us talking about trailer weights, and layouts. What we did and didnt like.

We came home from our trip and started visiting all of the local RV dealer websites. We started to realize that the layouts in pretty much any brand are almost all the same with any given trailer size.

We are torn, and not sure what to do, for multiple reasons. Our thoughts, of why we want to downsize.

-Lighter Trailer
-Less Wasted (unused space)
-Better fuel economy (typical is about 10mpg with my 2012 Ram 1500 Hemi).

We do not want any slide outs, to help save on the weight of the trailer, unless its lighter than our current trailer. Which according to FR is 4300lbs. So I estimate it around 4500lbs dry.

I've read over and over always buy the biggest your truck can pull, but that seems like such a waste to me. I seriously hate the gas mileage Im getting and I dread ever going on a long distance trip. Has anyone else ever been in this situation, where you actually downsized your trailer?
Just buy a pop up then.I got a 21 ft with a slide out and there not a nuff
room and I dont have bunk beds
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #22

We are a couple in our 60’s with a 2017 Microlite 21ds which we like but would like to get a model with more storage and a separate bedroom for long term living. However after finding one that we both wanted we found it not financially feasible. New trailer more $ and not much trade in value on our current model. Look to your future before you decide.
Sujo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #23

Kids don’t stay stagnant and the day comes when they don’t hang out with you as much. That is a lesson learned just by life, so don’t kick yourself for it. I think your answer lies in how much you owe and whether you will be upside down on your loan, if you have one. Go to RV trader and see what they are advertising your model for. Really figure out how you two want to function in a new RV, then make an informed decision. Don’t just jump on anything you see. A lot of sellable gimmicks are pointed out by salespeople that really make no difference in your enjoyment. For instance, ours came with a laundry chute, but it goes into the basement storage where we store tools and such. It would never function as a laundry shoot. Take out the bunks, as others have suggested and come up with another use for the space.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #24

Hey Straightlinespeed, If you keep what you have, in a couple years, you may have grandchildren and need the space again. Our daughter used to bring friends with her camping, but, now, we have a whole family that goes camping, daughter, husband, grandson. We thought we were done as well and got a nice sized trailer for us, but, we almost always have someone with us now when we go. It's 35 ft, but, designed for two. We have a fold out couch for two, but, grandson has to sleep on the floor on an air mattress. We got the free standing table and chairs, but, the dinette option would have probably been better. The money you lose in trading in is like a car - sometimes worse. Keep it and enjoy the extra room. Maybe store an inflatable boat on one of the bunks. It won't be long before your daughter wants to go with you again - you'll see!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujo70 View Post
We are a couple in our 60’s with a 2017 Microlite 21ds which we like but would like to get a model with more storage and a separate bedroom for long term living. However after finding one that we both wanted we found it not financially feasible. New trailer more $ and not much trade in value on our current model. Look to your future before you decide.
I agree with that the future.I bought a 21 ft fbrs micro lite over all I like it but I wish I went a couple. ft bigger .It has a lot of storage.but wish the bath was bigger.the smaller they are the smaller the bath
Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #26
Casey & Carolyn

We sold our first TT after 4 trips and about 8 weeks. Had a couple things we just hated about it. We took a bath on the trade as you might expect. However we have been very pleased with out new 5th wheel. Have had it about 1 1/2 years. It’s about 8 ft longer has 2 slides which the TT only had 1. Just my wife and I once in a while 1 of the grand kids.
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #27

I can't help with the downsize question, but i think looking at various floor plans will help you decide. We actually had almost the exact opposite situation last October. We are a couple in late 50's, kids grown but still single, bought our first TT - couples camper with the rear living. We intentionally didn't get bunks because we didn't plan on the kids going with us. We absolutely love the floor plan- large window in back, couch under window, u shaped dinette. I basically bought the biggest camper i could comfortably tow with my wifes Durango intending to upgrade to a truck at some point. And as for the grown kids, this weekend my wife and I are taking out the camper for the first time with just the two of us
Good luck, life's too short not to enjoy the ride.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #28

I have mind paid off in less in two yrs.being I have a bigger truck now I might go to a 23 ft before I retire i have about 3 yrs to go.if I do it doesn't have to be brand new as long its in good shape and less then5 yrs old.then I'll sell my old one out right
Old 07-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #29

I was in a situation similar to you. Just my wife and I and after one year we upsized. Reason - My first camper had one slide, lots of storage space, but very few windows. After one rainy weekend of being in cramped, dark space we thought differently.
We optioned for windows verses storage and now have two slides. More room for those rainy days and indoor comfort and more windows for that bright sunshine, less artificial light. Good Luck! Every one has their decisions to make and reasons for them.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #30

One thing we have learned over the years is to NEVER buy to please friends or family. Buy what is best for YOU. Family and friends can sleep in tents or their own rigs IF and when they camp with you. We always over estimated how often we'd have additional guests in the trailer.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #31

As already said, you won't improve mileage unless you go to some form of pop-up.

An A-frame is a really nice couple's camper, but it's really aimed at a different camping style. As A-frame campers, our camper is little more than a luxury bed on wheels. When it rains, we can do everything inside. But at only 98sq ft of living area, it can get pretty cramped pretty fast if you stay inside.

So we cook, eat, clean, lounge outside - that's our camping style.

But I do average 19MPG towing with my minivan.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #32

So sorry for not replying back sooner. I appreciate all the comments and you all have made great points. As for the gas mileage, I was just under the impression the lighter the trailer the easier to tow and better MPG. Honestly I was surprised to read that some of you have much larger trailers and getting the same MPG as I am. So that makes me feel better about purchasing a trailer with slide outs as well.

I've summed up everyone's post to my wife. I think we may hold onto this one for the remainder of the season and reevaluate next year. We did spend some time looking at what the local dealers have on their lots and do like some of the other layouts, its just a matter of going and seeing them in person now.

Thank you again for all the information, its much appreciated!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #33
Site Team

IMHO, Fall is the best time to purchase for price.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
IMHO, Fall is the best time to purchase for price.

That makes sense.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:42 AM   #35

I never saw a wasted space that could not be used for something unless it was between someone's ears
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #36

Just upgraded to a 34' Bunkhouse this year.. Im already anticipating downsizing when its just the wife and I . Ive always liked the smaller campers. I see lots of couples with maxed out 5th wheels and big dually's. Not for me. Hell I wouldnt mind going back to a tent if the truth be known. The wife wouldnt have it though.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #37
Canadian Member

If you do end up wanting to change trailers, I suggest you try to sell yours first privately and not trade it in. You’ll get a lot more for your current trailer than any dealer will give you on a trade-in. Then you’ll have that cash to use on the new trailer. If you have a loan on the current trailer you can pay it down/off with the cash and be better off financially.

If you buy a used trailer you’ll need to be very picky and very patient. We sold our Roo privately first and it took a year of searching before we found our current TT (used) at a local dealer. The wait was worth it for us.

I totally agree that bunks - especially double size bunks - are a waste of space, unless you have younger kids. Our kids have all graduated high school and still camp with us but not every time. We opted for a U-shaped dinette for them to sleep on when they’re with us. They have never asked to bring friends camping and frankly I’d rather not have someone else’s kid with us. It’s our family time. If you end up buying another camper, get a floorplan that works for the two of you.

Good luck!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #38

We had a TT with no slide. It drove the DW and I crazy! We had to wait for the other to pass to get to the bathroom, the refrigerator, cabinets, etc. We quickly got rid of that and got a TT with a slide.

Like others have said, the air resistance (drag) is the biggest contributor to your fuel mileage. We got the same mileage with a 21RB (4500 lbs) and our 28RKS (6700 lbs). That big sail on the front of them is the reason.

I know a couple of people, who modified their bunk rooms, after the kids were gone. One turned theirs into an office/reading room. The other full-timed, so turned theirs into storage with extra closet space, a dresser, and some rubbermaid storage containers of stuff.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #39

There is a lot to be said about big and lonely compared to small and cozy... I doubt if you will save gas but you might be more comfy in a smaller one... That being said... Kids only lebe the best for a few years and then they return with grands. And then the fun starts and you might wish you had bunks
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #40

I am told by our RV dealer that this TT layout is their best seller. It is a smaller trailer, built for two people. (althought, it will sleep more) The DW liked the walk through to the bathroom. I like the extra room from the single slideout. On our last trip over Washington Pass (north cascades in Washington) to Winthrop, our fuel mileage was 13.8.
See attached picture.
Ram2500 diesel, FR Surveyor 251rks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-living-room_2453.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	179822  
debit is offline   Reply With Quote