Old 03-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
. I, as others do, create a new email address for whatever I sell and then delete it after the sale.

Interesting.
The Anonymous emails,are the ones I usually ignore!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Old 03-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
When selling anything, any kind of way (which I do a lot)........please note, I am not your bank.

If your check is good, that's great! That means that they will give you cash if you go down there and pull cash out. Go do that first, before paying me. I don't want to go there, and I fear being surprised when I do. Not my job. If you don't want to carry that amount of cash around, don't buy stuff at my price.

Just sold a X thousand dollar trailer, and the guy is bringing cash. Good for him, he volunteered, I didn't ask. That way I can deposit cash, and it will be credited to my account, bingo bango. Any other way, not so.

I like when they say " I'll give you X --CASH!

Lol. What else where you planning on paying in???
Cash is the only form of payment I will accept...

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Old 03-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
This is a text I reviewed about my hitch. I get these all the time.....

Hi, I'm interested in the the purchase, do get back to me if its still available on my email (katherineconforto@yahoo.com) with your willing price of the Hensley bd3 air ride fifth wheel hitch /slider 5th
iPhone

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
I have had good luck with CL. I always mention local sales only, no mail order. Will meet at local police station to complete the sale.

I get very few scam offers! I may meet somewhere different but that isn't decided till after everything is agreed to. The buyer doesn't know that. Someplace public like a local diner. I make that offer if they are coming any distance. If they suggest a location I ignore it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #44

I don't like listing stuff on CL due to the numerous flakes and scam artists that troll for someone to give them any information they can use to steal from you.
That said, I've had pretty good luck recently with CL, selling a couple of vehicles that I didn't need any more, and we also found our present toy hauler on CL.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #45

Let's gang up on these CL scammers. When receiving a suspicious email such as the one in the original post, there is a process to flag the email as spam or scam. Flag it. It is eternal. The sender will never use that email address again on CL. There was a time when we had multiple items posted and got multiple scam replies. Different items, same wording, multiple email addresses. I flagged all of them. It's rare to get one these days. For a free service, CL does a marvelous job of keeping there service policed.

Whenever we have a prospect, we always use "we", even if only one of us will be there. I would suggest the "we" even if the seller/buyer is a single person. If someone shows up that appears a bit shady, you can say my other person should be here in a couple of minutes. If you are the buyer approaching the buy point and things don't look right, don't gamble. Call the party and tell them you can't make it. It is better, however, to have two people

If at some time we get a CL inquiry that looks legit, but the question they are asking, dimensions as an example, are not in the ad, I do not answer the email. Instead, I revise the ad to include the information. If the information is already in the ad, I do not answer the email. If they ask for best price and is it still for sale, I do not respond to the email-depending on the wording, that one may get flagged.

One other point. Though we can deliver, we make every effort not to. At times, it is a short haul for someone who really has no other way. Under all circumstances, we require a phone call, we will not negotiate price nor deliver w/o the person first seeing the item. We politely explain, that without the customer seeing it first, we could end up loading it, hauling it, only to have the buyer tell you it's not what they want or try to low ball. Cash in hand before it gets loaded.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:25 AM   #46

You get a lot of Craigslist flakes unfortunately. If I sell something, I usually state "no local# = no response". Lately I've noticed the scammers are starting to spoof local numbers for texting. You get a text from a local # but then they refer you to a gmail account and state they are currently out of the country.; in the military; etc.

The scams are constantly changing. It is a pain but then again, CL is free to post.

The other precaution I take is talking to someone on the phone to get a feel for their demeanor.

Sometimes I meet them at a local Walmart and I always carry (ccw). I try to never have them come out to my house. It has been and is becoming a more dangerous world with all kinds of weirdos out there...
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #47

We simply state in the ad that we do not accept texting. This is our stock last paragraph.

"If interested, please call. No text, please. We may respond to an email very specific to this ad. If this ad is posted, the (item) is for sale. Thanks for looking and have a great day!"

Advising the person that "we may respond" is telling them we are careful whom we respond to. The phone number is shown in the "reply". The person has to check the box that they are not a robot. If there is any doubt about an email, we don't respond. If they want what we are offering, they can use the "please call". We mandate a phone call to set a meeting. If the caller is using a blocked number, no meeting.

We are in an area where we may get a cell call from almost anywhere in the US. But if the caller leaves a voice mail with a call-back number, I will Google the number for area code and check to see if this number is being used by a fraudster.It is amazing what you find.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
........If I sell something, I usually state "no local# = no response"..........
Only problem with the above for some folks, like myself, I have no land line and only use my cell phone, which uses a VA area code, but I live in FL.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Only problem with the above for some folks, like myself, I have no land line and only use my cell phone, which uses a VA area code, but I live in FL.
PhillyG - I've found that even though I post that, the serious buyers will respond by calling me directly to let me know they are local with an out of area cell#. It seems to filter the foreign trolls to some extent. The foreigners still do not understand the US dialect/culture completely and you can see tale-tale signs of broken English or some other hint. I sold our TT in 2 days and two callers had LD area codes.

I sometimes post "I don't care if your exiled brother is King of Namibia, his frozen money is no good to me" for all the money order scams.
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
PhillyG - I've found that even though I post that, the serious buyers will respond by calling me directly to let me know they are local with an out of area cell#. It seems to filter the foreign trolls to some extent. The foreigners still do not understand the US dialect/culture completely and you can see tale-tale signs of broken English or some other hint. I sold our TT in 2 days and two callers had LD area codes.

I sometimes post "I don't care if your exiled brother is King of Namibia, his frozen money is no good to me" for all the money order scams.
I once met a buyer with a bunch of 20's that had matching serial numbers! When I asked for his drivers license he got in his car to get it, and left! Of course no plate on his car. That was the first hint there was a problem. He didn't get me for anything and I had 300 of his "funny money" I turned in to the cops.

Lot of things to look for when you meet someone you don't know.

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote