Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 793
Very observant, oldtool 2. These people try to drop this funny money at garage and estate sales as-well. The unsuspecting get took. That's one reason I ask for a phone call meeting on CL. Most of these people are not savvy enough to use a throw-away phone.When we make any sale, we have a strong light handy and check the bills before we make change.

We sold an expensive boat on CL about a year ago. The buyer was paying cash. Before he took delivery, we accompanied him to our bank and the bank ran the large denomination bills through the counter. That would have caught a bogus bill and he would have been on camera. The transaction went directly into our account. We wrote the paid in full receipt at the bank.
__________________

__________________
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Adams County, PA
Posts: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
When selling anything, any kind of way (which I do a lot)........please note, I am not your bank.

If your check is good, that's great! That means that they will give you cash if you go down there and pull cash out. Go do that first, before paying me. I don't want to go there, and I fear being surprised when I do. Not my job. If you don't want to carry that amount of cash around, don't buy stuff at my price.

Just sold a X thousand dollar trailer, and the guy is bringing cash. Good for him, he volunteered, I didn't ask. That way I can deposit cash, and it will be credited to my account, bingo bango. Any other way, not so.

If the cash is more than $14,000 you may be getting a visit by the tax man and federal government.
__________________

__________________
2016 Grey Wolf 26rr
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #53
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,610
I've sold a few things on CL and the last line of every ad I posted says: I am not a car dealer and I do not negotiate. The price listed is a fair price and if you want a lower price go look somewhere else.

I put that statement in all caps. Works fairly well but i still get a few idiots who try to negotiate a lower price.
__________________
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
RandK-M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 143
I just sold my camper on CL last weekend to make room for the new Rockwood 2109s I have on order. It was cash only as stated in the ad. I don't usually put my email or phone number in a CL listing. I just use Craigslist's internal anonymous email for the first contact. As long as the message I get sounds legitimate, I'll respond with a phone number or call them if they gave me a phone number. I much prefer eBay for items small enough to ship.

A few years ago I tried getting rid of some stuff in the "for Free" section on Craigs list and I'll NEVER do that again. The flakes that came out of the woodwork for free stuff was a nightmare!
__________________
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 793
Rmac04401, not likely. This is a private sale of personally owned property, provided it has been licensed in BandJCarm's name. The bank may document the reason for a cash withdrawal of $10,000+, Same for cash deposit. The buyer states, buying a trailer and the seller says, sold my trailer.

Unless you are a licensed dealer, there is no need to document the sale with any taxing agency. There would have to be a pattern of large transactions to raise any eyebrows.When the veh/trailer is registered, the state collects a tax from the buyer-at least in Florida, Illinois and Wisconsin.

We sold a Cadillac Allante a couple of years ago and a boat last year. Bother were registered to us. Both transaction proceeds were banked and nobody has inquired. We feel comfortable presenting the paperwork if they did.

Being a private party, the problem dealing with anything that has to be registered with the DNR or the DMV comes when private party tries to sell the item with an open title. Only a licensed dealer can do that and document the transfer on the title via the dealer.
__________________
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
flymhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mile Hi City
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
A few years ago I tried getting rid of some stuff in the "for Free" section on Craigs list and I'll NEVER do that again. The flakes that came out of the woodwork for free stuff was a nightmare!
I have never thought about that but I bet the freaks do come out in force. I would be scared they would steal other stuff and claim they "thought" it was free too.
__________________
2015 Denali Duramax 2500
2017 Coachmen 229TBS
2010 Shamrock 21SS - sold!
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Very observant, oldtool 2. These people try to drop this funny money at garage and estate sales as-well. The unsuspecting get took. That's one reason I ask for a phone call meeting on CL. Most of these people are not savvy enough to use a throw-away phone.When we make any sale, we have a strong light handy and check the bills before we make change.

We sold an expensive boat on CL about a year ago. The buyer was paying cash. Before he took delivery, we accompanied him to our bank and the bank ran the large denomination bills through the counter. That would have caught a bogus bill and he would have been on camera. The transaction went directly into our account. We wrote the paid in full receipt at the bank.
A few years ago a friend of mine didn't have a checking account. On pay day he cashed his pay check at a bank and went food shopping right from the bank. The cashier found a bad 20 but was nice and gave it back to him. He left there and took the bad bill to the bank manager. She confiscated it and the bank would not make good on it even though the teller knew him. Found out if a teller gets stuck with one it comes out of their pay so if they take one in, or think they might have, they pass it on so they don't get stuck at the end of the day.

You have got to be careful even with cash.

Jim
__________________
07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 338
I love Craigslist

I've been buying and selling for years on craigslist. I never use email. I always use my cell phone. I used to list the number with an "o" instead of a zero, and "L" instead of 1. Now craigslist doesn't allow that. I have gotten one bogus call.

When my 60 lb. dog goes out to greet the buyer and sniffs their crotch, it seems to put everyone on their best behavior.

I bought my boat in Spokane. I called Mercury and made sure the outboard was under warranty. I called Washington Motor Vehicle Department and made sure the registered owner was who I was buying from. We went to the bank with my cashiers check. Turns out checks are not secure any more. His bank called my bank and confirmed the check. I was lucky my bank was open on Saturday.

I've sold cars, campers, trucks, and 1/2 the stuff in my garage. I've sold on eBay as well. You make more, but the hassle is much more.

If you're worried about counterfeit, buy a pen for $3. That's what the stores do now.

If I were a single woman, I'd get a concealed carry permit and meet in a public place with cameras, like Walmart.

It is your choice to negotiate or not. I often list a little high, just so the buyer can feel like he got a deal. Everyone likes that feeling.
__________________
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
muddyrode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SE Iowa
Posts: 464
I use craigslist. All the time you just need use common sense when replying, and what to replay to, fishing emails are usally very broad so they can copy and paste to several adds
but i also set up an gmail account that i use just for CL
and i always try to meet somewhere other than my home, we have a small strip mall that always very busy and the parking lot works great for me
__________________
2016 SANDPIPER 35ROK
2013 Silverado Duramax 3500HD DRW LB

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I've been buying and selling for years on craigslist. I never use email. I always use my cell phone. I used to list the number with an "o" instead of a zero, and "L" instead of 1. Now craigslist doesn't allow that. I have gotten one bogus call.

When my 60 lb. dog goes out to greet the buyer and sniffs their crotch, it seems to put everyone on their best behavior.

I bought my boat in Spokane. I called Mercury and made sure the outboard was under warranty. I called Washington Motor Vehicle Department and made sure the registered owner was who I was buying from. We went to the bank with my cashiers check. Turns out checks are not secure any more. His bank called my bank and confirmed the check. I was lucky my bank was open on Saturday.

I've sold cars, campers, trucks, and 1/2 the stuff in my garage. I've sold on eBay as well. You make more, but the hassle is much more.

If you're worried about counterfeit, buy a pen for $3. That's what the stores do now.

If I were a single woman, I'd get a concealed carry permit and meet in a public place with cameras, like Walmart.

It is your choice to negotiate or not. I often list a little high, just so the buyer can feel like he got a deal. Everyone likes that feeling.
On rare cases, I may respond to an email. Currently, I have an item for sale and received an email inquiry. Possibly legit, but they asked for my lowest price and that raised a flag. Not responding.

Previously, the phone number was shown in the body of the ad as
960-four four six-8310. That helped. Currently, I put the phone number in "Reply". The caller has to check the box stating they are not a robot.

I have noticed an uptick in junk calls having the phone number listed on CL. DW has a cell as-well and receives very few. Our numbers are on the DNC registry. I have come to keep an air horn handy when I get a scam call. They get a long blast in the phone.If they stay on the line, which they often do, they get another long blast. It brings out the "best" in the caller (Mom should wash their mouth with soap). They are told that if they don't like what they hear, don't call me because it will happen again and again until they stop calling.

PS: The phone number above is not my phone, but a series of numbers depicting a telephone number.
__________________

__________________
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.