Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #1

Thoughts on price Rockwood Roo 17

Need opinions. After having terrible experience with a dealer on used model and walking away, I am going to buy a new 2012 Rockwood Roo fully decked out. It s at Best RV in Turlock CA. I am in Santa Barbara. No real close dealers to me. Price on website is 16999. Dealer says it is 6k belw MSRP. They will knock off only 259 but will deliver to me. I am about 250 mies away. They will also add a second battery and starter kit and no charge for PDI. Financed it will be just over 150 per month over 12 years. 6.25 interest.

I understand from research the cost on West Coast is significantly higher due to delivery costs. I hae found this unit in Ohio etc for 13k to 14k so I know I can get cheaper by traveling but I am not up for it

I welcome opinions on the value of this deal.

Thanks!
Dtapp93101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

If you want to know what transportation cost is, simply make a few phone calls and ask about deliver charge from Indiana (factory) to your home. Should be around $2.-2.50 a mile. Add that to the bottom line internet dealers price back east and see how close you are.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

It would moist likely cost you a little over $2000 to travel east to get the TT from the dealer. If like some people you get there and the TT is damaged and has to go back to the factory it is a wasted trip. So your total savings would only be between 3 and 4K. Plus your dealer has offered to add the second battery and deliver the unit to your house. I believe you are getting a great deal from you LOCAL dealer. He sound like he will work for you if you have a problem.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Site Team

don't believe that "6k off of MSRP" nonsense. dealers set their own MSRP, not the manufacturers.

when i was deciding what to do, after dealing with Best and a couple of other Roo dealers, i talked to RVW and RVDirect about the delivery charges.
RVW said they would meet me halfway, therefore cutting the delivery charges in half. i think halfway was Rock Springs, Wyoming.
it was an option i considered.

if that isn't something you want to do, Best RV is about the cheapest on the West Coast. not sure how their service dept. is but FR can find a closer FR dealer that will do warranty work. they found a FR popup dealer in my hometown that did the warranty work.

you could take the best price from RVW and see if Best will give you a better price.
but i doubt it. when i showed that price to the sales manager, he told me to drive to Ohio if i wanted that price.

being the cheapskate that i am, i did drive to Chicago and back to save the $4000 difference.
but i wouldn't fault anyone who is willing to pay more, to not have to deal with that.
but they are ripping people off out here with their claimed shipping costs. they get 4-5 Roos delivered on one truck. so, costs aren't as high as they claim.

by the way, glad you found FRF and welcome!!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #5

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses.
Thanks Bikendan for your responses on the other forum also
Yea, I am supposed to get a quote from RVW on Monday
I think I could uses that to maybe get Best RV down a little more but not sure
I am wary of all salesmen, especially after my experience with Family RV in Ontario, but the salesman I talked to at Best RV sounded at lease somewhat genuine and told me the dealer only has about a $1000 profit in the Roo 17 and 19 trailers.

I agree though that there is now way they pay $2-3k shipping for each trailer.

I'll report back to see if I can do any better.
Dtapp93101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Since I am a customer of Family RV in Ontario your post really caught my attention. I am sorry you did not have the same experience as I did.

My salesman name is Jim and he's been really helpful even now a year and half later. Hopefully he wasn't your salesman who didn't leave a good impression. I would be totally surprised to find out if it was Jim.

I sent you a PM about Family RV sister lot in Pomona. I have no idea if they carry or can get the Rockwood Roo but it might be worth a try to see what price they will do.

This is just my option and I'm new to RVs but even at this stage I would be surprised if there's not more profit in the pricing than $1k. MSRP on my unit was something like $16,700 but my unit was on sale as a price leader for $9,997 on the sister lot dealership location in Orange County.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

DTapp,

I actually think that Best quote is pretty good (depending on how RVW compares for the trailer with the same options). Most likely, however, you could save some money, even factoring in travel costs, by buying in the Midwest and you might want to go that route if its enough to make it worth your while, but that's a personal finance decision.

Here are my thoughts on your various points and some that I think are good to consider. Sorry - its kinda long...

You've actually done all the homework that can be done.
There really is no other "deal" that someone on the forum can point you to that could be significantly lower than the "Ohio" quote unless its a bare bones trailer. Always need to compare apples to apples. Definitely check with RVW, RVDirect, House of Camping in Chicago and others to do a proper comparison.

The only thing left to do is calculate the cost traveling to the Midwest and back. I would "guess" fuel (Santa Barbara to RVW), lodging, and food would be $1,700-$2,000.

$16,999
-$2,000
$14,740 This is the cost you would have to get at RVW in order to match the price at Best RV.

6.25% for 12 years results in $7,000 interest paid over the life of the loan. To put this into perspective, the trailer won't be worth much at the end of this loan and you would have paid more like $24,000 for it.

You need to decide how valuable it is to have the trailer dropped off to you at your house, which is what Best offers. That's nice for some while other would look forward to the trip to Ohio and back. If you had time, you could make that a really nice first trip. Plenty of people on this forum buy from RVW, go to the pickup and do the PDI, camp a night or two nearby at a nice park to make sure nothing needs to be fixed and then leave for home. You could take the long route home and hit plenty of great spots if you have the time off from work. Something to consider.

Don't place too much value onto the inclusion of the second battery, starter kit and free PDI by Best. Nothing is for free - they are just including it into their price to you.

I bet the battery(s) is a cheap group 24 and you might consider upgrading the batteries right away if you intend to dry camp. That's a more complicated subject, because it depends on how you camp, how long you camp for and if you can use a generator.

The starter kit is ok for the first couple of trips but you will be replacing all of that shortly.

The PDI can be worth it or not and depends on how good the tech or delivery guy is. I was surprised when I learned that not all dealers do this for free (all of our past dealers had). It seems to be a regional thing.

You will want to establish where in Santa Barbara you will get it serviced unless you want to travel to Best each time. There are items that usually need to be taken care of in the first week or first month of ownership. This is normal so plan on it. If this is your first trailer, it helps to be handy but its most helpfull (and usually cheaper) if you are willing to learn and do things yourself. That's what this forum is for

Good luck with whatever you decide and above all

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #8

I think 16999.$ is quite expensive for the roo 17. My son just bought a roo 17 2012 in last july and he paid in the $ 15,000 th dollars and this was with quite a lots of options ( aluminum wheels, oven etc. etc.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #9

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Wondering where you got the quote on your financing. Your interest rate seems a bit high. Have you contacted a credit union? They can usually do much better on the rate than a typical bank.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #10

Let me give you a break down and comparison.

I was between a Jayco 17Z with everything and a 2009 Rockwood 17 with everything.

I liked the Roo the best, even though it did not have a sofa, but thought the bathroom and the storage was better on the Roo.

I got a best quote on the 17Z for 14,400 out the door and they would not deal on my trade in of a Pop Up, offering me 1200 bucks.

The 2009 is almost brand new.... used three times, only two seasons old.... had everything I wanted, except for the DSI water heater.

But I got it for 8400 bucks full dealer prep and starter kit. Also I sold my Pop up out right for 3200 when only asking 3K, but two guys got in a bidding and I'll pick up first war.

I believe that 16,000 is not a great price.... in a market where you can go and get a 2 year old version for almost half the price.

I would not be afraid to shop online and even look at Craigslist...... for used models....

I looked at over a dozen Hybrids until I got this one at an RV dealership who was ready to deal....

Went from asking 10,999 to walking out 8400
depo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #11
Site Team

Any update on this thread?

BTW - I just found out that my salesman Jim is no longer with FRV in Ontario but I don't know when he left.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote