Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Guess I will consider myself lucky? My dealer did all of that without any prompting. I went into the deal expecting to have to argue and barter but never had too.
Where do you live? I'll come there to buy my next trailer!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #22
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
Where do you live? I'll come there to buy my next trailer!
LOL!
Rex & Son's RV in Wilmington, NC.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #23

Good dealers have it figured out.......... Ours' charges no extras, simple tack a percentage onto what they pay for the unit.... no haggling..... sells travel trailers to customers over a 4 state area. He's small.........

Had some service work done picked ours up today, a guy brought his in traveled 260 miles to have it done here.... (every year). Labor rate of $65 hour

Shhhhhh it a secret...............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:22 AM   #24

Did the dealer agree to the WDH in the initial agreement?
Old 03-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #25

Oaklevel, why not give your dealer a plug, Va is not to far from De. you never know
Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Did the dealer agree to the WDH in the initial agreement?
Yes, the WDH was part of the deal from the beginning. Though I found it does not include sway control, and even if I added the sway I won't be able to reverse with it on.

Every salesmen is different. I felt compelled to write the letter because I kept hearing things like "the unit is perfect" , "I've never had anyone want to climb on the roof", "I'll show you how everything works". I never once heard "I'll make sure we have a technician go through the unit with you and get anything taken care". When I asked in person about a thorough PDI I got the sidestep, and other assurances.

I had read about many other people buying used units and having the red carpet rolled out for them. So I compiled my list based on the good experiences I had read about. I am willing to budge on the pressure test, and the same day service for a bigger issue. But really, once they get my deposit, if I don't have something like my list signed off, what do I have to rely on to make sure the unit is ready to camp in? Their 'trusted' word??
I think a Terms for Deposit should be a common document, if good service is not common.

The dealer did respond yesterday, with a sidestep. "My insurance does not allow customers to be in the service area, when can we get the deposit?"
I think I'll move to the cash position next, no deposit, dangle the check for the entire amount in front of them until I get good service.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #27

No "civilians" in the service area is actually common due to insurance reasons. You can tell them you'll sign a waiver releasing them of any liability. I too would inspect the roof and appurtenances regardless of brand new or used.

As for "dangling cash," well I would say you are just working against yourself with that. Essentially you are squeezing them both sides from making a buck, so there's less and less motivation to work with you... I personally am a believer in that there is an art and certain tact in negotiations which is one where the controller makes both sides feel good about a deal. You just need to be the controller, but a controller not with club and leash...
Old 03-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Oaklevel, why not give your dealer a plug, Va is not to far from De. you never know
Located in SW Virginia Near Martinsville. They are getting ready for race weekend as it always brings a lot of RV business. The name of the dealership that I deal with is ECONO RV on RT 220 in the Bassett, VA area. A very small dealership but also a very reputable one. They don't advertise they do not need to.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #29

Some people have unrealistic expectations and when they are not met, they just
make things worse by being combative and argumentative. Might try another dealer and not be so demanding. Just saying....catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #30

I'm not in the RV business but the fix it the same day stipulation could have caused a problem. Just my thought.

Tags
dealer