Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Throw your dealer a curve ball

I went and inspected a 2012 Rockwood 2304s at a local dealer last Thursday, crawled all over it - it is in excellent condition. Anyway, after we came to an agreement on the price the dealer wanted to get a deposit out of me in the worst way, I wriggled out of it somehow and sent him this letter on Saturday. I think it is too much for him to handle, the audacity I must have! Have not heard from him since

Terms of Deposit 3/14/15

Buyer - ________ - agrees to give Seller - ________ RV – a $1000 deposit, towards a grand total of $$$$$$ for the purchase of a 2012 Rockwood 2304s travel trailer. The buyer wishes to be educated and to take ownership of the travel trailer that is Completely functional in all of its systems upon leaving ________ RV with the unit. The deposit will be completely refunded if any of the following stipulations cannot be met:

• Unit includes full propane and battery, Toshiba TV, Reese weight distribution hitch installed on buyers truck

A time and day will be set within four weeks of receiving deposit for the buyer to be on site to learn and observe with an assigned Technician at _________ RV:

• adjust the WDH properly for traveling loaded vs. empty
  • test water heater, furnace and start the refrigerator in all modes
  • test A/C , ceiling fan, tongue jack, and all electrical equipment
  • test slide out and adjust if needed
  • pressure test unit & re-caulk all leaks found
  • water in the fresh water tank, test water pump, toilet all faucets, check for any leaks

The assigned technician will fix any problems found as they arise same day.

I agree to the above terms of deposit – Seller __________________Date_______

I agree to the above terms of deposit – Buyer __________________Date_______
Mn_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #2

Guess you better look elsewhere then....
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

Sounds reasonable to me. I didn't see anything I wouldn't expect for the purchase of any RV.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Sounds reasonable to me. I didn't see anything I wouldn't expect for the purchase of any RV.
Exactly- and shouldn't even need to be written out that way. But unfortunately, in today's world it's necessary.

Perhaps each potential RV buyer should make a copy of it and present it to the dealer.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

Camping World will do all of the above and they will only CHARGE you a $699 Dealer PREP FEE. Or at least that it what they told me that was what the PREP Fee covered.
I told them I was NOT paying them to A) fix what was wrong on a unit I was buying. and B) to show me how to turn something on.
They told me that they had to charge that and if I did not like it then the deal was off.
I called their bluff and walked away. They called me back and dropped the Prep Fee and I bought the unit.
Bamamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #6

I'm not sure, but I would be willing to bet that only a small percentage of dealers would offer you this kind of service up front. Its too bad its not the norm. Its such a crazy business, built on positive spin and emotional reactions, that they should not be surprised to see such a proposal. I'm curious how the dealer responds in the end. I could have stretched it out to demand a 30 day warranty, etc, but all I want is confidence in the unit I'm buying. My guess is he'll try to charge me for the pressure test and refuse to sign any such terms of deposit.

BTW, Camping world quoted me the same $700 prep fee for a new 2304s, but to their credit I cannot find anyone yet, that will match their total price on a new 2304s.
Mn_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Guess I will consider myself lucky? My dealer did all of that without any prompting. I went into the deal expecting to have to argue and barter but never had too.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #8

When we bought our first new 5th Wheel, I asked for all that PLUS, the braking system for the truck and an electric fire place to be installed, the guy said ok we can to it for $$$$, the day came for us to sign the papers he told me that the fire place cost more then he thought, so the price would have to be an additional $1500 more then we agreed, I looked at him and said, you said you could do it for $$$$ and that is all I will pay, I guess I will have to call my boss, I said call him. He came back in and said the boss said if I told you I could do it for $$$$ the we will make the deal for the agreed price.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #9

Reasonable, but with a couple of exceptions. I don’t know of any dealer that would be able to pressure test the unit. Pressure testing the water lines is no problem, but the entire unit?

Also expecting the dealer to fix any issues the same day takes it for granted he would have every conceivable repair part on hand. That’s not a real world expectation.

If you really expect a dealer to sign an agreement like that you’re not going to be buying an RV.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #10

Most of what you desire is pretty routine. The dealer's reaction is just out of form. I simply would have stricken the pressure test because that's a final straw test, few have what's needed to perform, and more harm than good can result if you over-pressurize, and also stricken same-day repair because that's not realistic for anything requiring factory parts. A good dealer would have then agreed to reseal any distressed caulking and roof sealant at time of inspection identified, maybe even throw in a tube of caulk and lap sealant (always gotten w/o asking) and then agree to completing a "we owe slip" as part of the terms of sale.

What we don't know is how hard you negotiated that price. The dealer may have given up margin to the ragged edge and is not interested in taking a hit of what could be $500-1K easily after a new battery, 40-60# of propane, tech time for hitch setup and PDI and repairs that can be done on the spot, and then deal with the we owes... You will know soon enough if you get a call back to negotiate.

Good luck with your search!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mn_Mark View Post

BTW, Camping world quoted me the same $700 prep fee for a new 2304s, but to their credit I cannot find anyone yet, that will match their total price on a new 2304s.
I can't believe that RVWholesalers cannot beat Camping World. Have you contacted them?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Reasonable, but with a couple of exceptions. I don’t know of any dealer that would be able to pressure test the unit. Pressure testing the water lines is no problem, but the entire unit?
======================

FWIW General RV in Wixom, Michigan pressure checks every new RV before delivery. Was out there watching them do it to a Lacrosse trailer. Service Tech was very willing to show me how the test for water & air leaks was done.
Want to see how they do it? Watch this video

Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
FWIW General RV in Wixom, Michigan pressure checks every new RV before delivery. Was out there watching them do it to a Lacrosse trailer. Service Tech was very willing to show me how the test for water & air leaks was done.
Want to see how they do it? Watch this video

Happy trails,
Yeah, you'd think more dealers would jump on the cash cow. It's a few grand for a SealTech unit, but the two dealers within a 2 hour drive here that have it charge $250 just for the test. There's also a mobile RV tech with one, but he uses only when there's a leak call - nothing proactive. Floor blower/driver and pressure control by roof vent work for me!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Yep. Nothing wrong here.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
I guess I will have to call my boss, I said call him. He came back in and said the boss said if I told you I could do it for $$$$ the we will make the deal for the agreed price.
....Yeah...RV/car salesmen are part time actors too. This sounds like a textbook move to me. Good work not falling for it!
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #16

Our did dealer did all that with no prompting. No extra Charge for Prep or anything else..... other than state sales tax & tags. No extra contracts or threats needed. They are very old school, their word is gold...... (yea I know cover your tail) ........

Its a 2 way street my dealer has campers with service work completed last fall & not picked up the RV owners think they should get free storage for the winter & pay in the spring............

Every Camping World I have ever checked RV prices at was considerably higher than anyone else.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #17

You probably could have gotten that and more if you sat down and negotiated while in person. Sending an email later comes off as fishing, and severely downgrades your position. Not sure what the curve ball is, other than you NOT getting the trailer????
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
You probably could have gotten that and more if you sat down and negotiated while in person. Sending an email later comes off as fishing, and severely downgrades your position. Not sure what the curve ball is, other than you NOT getting the trailer????
Probably Strike Three ?????

I know my dealer is a great guy & is not out to get rich off one sale, but cross him with something stupid & you will be off his lot probably with a restraining order to never come back.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #19
(Dry Huunday)

I think that there are a lot of good dealers out there. As with everything else we usually only here about the bad ones.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #20

Indeed there are, very good dealers.
I kinda get a kick out of how hard some of us try to chisel the last nickel out of someone who is in business to make a profit.
I may be odd, but I want my dealer to make a little profit so he can be around when I need him.
When we ordered our V in Feb., I told the salesman straight out I wasn't into BS and I realized he needed to make a profit.
He knew (probably far better than I) that I could buy the same TT close to the factory for alot less.
We got along great, we plan on being fair with eachother and I assume we will both be happy.
If I do have a problem I know his home number and the dealership is maybe 4 miles from my door.
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer